The QuadraphonicQuad Wine Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lamb leg steak grilled for dinner this evening and that calls for a nice red wine...local winery, Casa Rodena vintage 2012 bottle of their "1629" blend (tempranillo, syrah and cab)..aged extremely well..if I recall correctly I was even on the bottling team that day so had my hand in bringing this ni9ce one to market.
CR-1629v2012.jpg

Lamb leg steak grilled for dinner this evening and that calls for a nice red wine...local winery, Casa Rodena vintage 2012 bottle of their "1629" blend (tempranillo, syrah and cab)..aged extremely well..if I recall correctly I was even on the bottling team that day so had my hand in bringing this ni9ce one to market.
CR-1629v2012.jpg
Man, that's a very rich, dark looking red

I would love it if you all who live in wine country, or even those of you who often try out new wines.......tell what you paid for a bottle. That helps put it all in perspective...at least for me.

I'm not the kind of guy to go out and spend much more than $23-25 for a bottle.......I prefer the $15-20 range to be honest. I'd drink cheaper, if it truly is a great wine. I'm not interested in wine that isn't good.

Also - I am a terrible snob. Cabernet S is my all time favorite and I can't find it in myself to appreciate any other kind. So, if any of you winos can point me to another wine that can compete with Cabernet in terms of depth of flavor, body and red....please let me know.

I do NOT prefer Cabernet's that lean towards jam. I honestly hate that, meaning...I tend to not like Zinfandel...at least the Zinfandels I've had.

Malbecs are great, but I still like Cabernet S better. :)
I drink cabs almost exclusively, except in the summer I like Sonoma Cutrer Chardonnet when it's warm. If you haven't tried it yet, try Liberty School Cab, about $20 at total wine. Not jammy, deep rich color, bold flavor and a nice finish. To me a great bottle for the price!

• Love
Reactions: GOS
My neighbor gifted my wife two bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon from Washington State called Boomtown. Also shared with me quite sometime ago was an excellent upmix by @J. PUPSTER of the David + David album of the same name. One of my faves I listened to many times. As soon as I saw the label I knew it was going to be a Boomtown + Boomtown evening.

BOOMTOWN WINE 2.jpg

There was only a slight bouquet but at first sip the astringency blew me away. If you like your tannin's, this ones for you. A couple more sips & I accommodated to it. I guess I've been drinking too much sake for too long...

Anyways I paired this with my 1st monster bone in ribeye steaks smoked to start off with & reverse seared on the grill. Wow what a great pairing, that wine & that steak.

I left a bit in the bottle for next day. I am always interested in how wine changes & tastes after breathing. Now maybe 20mins is the most I'll do when opening a new bottle. But the next day brings the most pronounced effect. This time not as much as I expected. It was definitely just a bit less dry but mainly picked up much more complec flavoring such as cherry. The other flavors I lack the skill to deduce, but I do know how to enjoy it.
And the pouring of the wine makes such a succulent sound welcome to the boomtown.

Isn't that a crappy picture I took at the top? Hard to believe I actually used to earn a living as a pro commercial photog. So here's a better one of the label if you want to hunt it down this weekend. Not expensive, about $16 a bottle.
1659740786579.png

Thanks for the review and reminding me how great David+ David is. I have it on cassette vinyl and CD.
My son returned from a boy scout trip kayaking and backpacking in Washington state but hes too young to have tried that wine.....

Did you use 4x 5 cameras for your commercial work? I rented a Sinar F for some photo classes I took and did some table top projects. Hard field to make a living in though....

Thanks for the review and reminding me how great David+ David is. I have it on cassette vinyl and CD.
Obviously you appreciated the album! I guess the CD is the best available format.

My son returned from a boy scout trip kayaking and backpacking in Washington state but hes too young to have tried that wine.....
Someday he may be an Eagle scout & have his own troop! Well, buy a bottle & lay it down for when he can enjoy it.

Did you use 4x 5 cameras for your commercial work? I rented a Sinar F for some photo classes I took and did some table top projects. Hard field to make a living in though....
We used a range from 35mm Nikons to 4x5 & 8x10 Plaubels. Quite similar to the Sinar you probably used. For in between we had Rollie TLR & Hassleblad 500C system. These were not my own but the art/photography studio I worked for. There were 8>9 artists for layout & paste up and 4>5 of us in photography. Your right making a living on your own this way is tough. But in a studio like this you had to do little sales work, the projects just came rolling in.

Back on topic to wine.... I have a wine shot I did on 8x10 color neg that I'm very proud of. Basically a bottle of wine with a big hypodermic syringe taking the place of a cork puller. The only print I have is an 11x14 so it's too big to fit all of it on my scanner. But I'll give it a try & post if it works out.

Archival-Ferrer malbec is quite good. Not OTT at all. We visited the estate in Mendoza a few years ago, nice people.
2019 on sale at Calvert Woodley in DC-good price and 5% less if you buy a case. They ship to many states. I bought a case.

My wife and I are new to wine. It started innocently enough when a neighbor at a house we moved into about a year ago came over with a bottle of wine as a welcome gift. We thought it would be rude not to drink it. (Wish I could remember what it was... a red of some sort.) Most of our neighbors are into wine to various degrees.

I joined Wine.com (so I could research a bit) and have been trying different things. I tend to like red or white blends best, my wife’s favorite so far has been a Merlot.

Apothic and 14 Hands have been our favorite brands to this point. (Currently working through everything Apothic has out now.)

Bought a variety of wines as gifts for the neighbors this Christmas. Figured I couldn’t go wrong with that sort of gift.

This journey into wine reminds me of the book, If You Give A Mouse A Cookie... a bit of a slippery slope, but a fun one.

Back