The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooooooooooooppppppps forgot to reply - was great concert - bout Hour and 43 minutes - weird though on all the setlists.com it never shows him doing any encores..........and he did not do one this night either. Mainly all the faves plus a couple newer - He could go on for days if he played every fave :cool: Couple songs wish he would have played that he played on other stops, but he played songs he hadn't played on other stops tooooooo at this venue. Meadn best bud came away very pleased with the set.

Taxi LYFT driver story almost made us late - didn't want to take toll roads and went in circles getting lost (tried to charge us extra later toooooo) Nope!........we got to front gate of Universal Studios at 7:52 - 20 minute leisurely walk to Hard Rock other side of the Park - we had to hoooooooooooof it fast walk crowded as sheeeeeeeeeeet on Veterans Day - almost ran over a couple of kids and families :LOL: Concert starts at 8PM no openers.....

Made it 8:02 not on - had to hit the head (bathroom) got us some drinky winkys sat down 3 minutes later concert starts - urrrrrrrrrgh :rolleyes:

Another LYFT prob after but was in no hurry just had to wait like 15 mins extra for her to find the pickup.........got some food hookup out of it though - turns out she owns a lil soul food restaurant in town :giggle:

:SB:LB:SB
Fav songs; size of band; sound quality??? :whistle:

Fav songs; size of band; sound quality??? :whistle:

Well the taxi driver's name was Kristina not sure what her fave songs were and did not know she was in a band. What makes you think she was in a band? Did you have the same driver? She was listening to satellite stereo some R&B station - she had the volume really low but it sounded ok Snood think :unsure:

.............oh Elvis Costelllllloooooo :giggle:

2 of the original Attractions (Steve Nieve Pete Thomas) and a Bass player plus 2 backup singers. Sound was good a lil too bassy at times early on.

Faves were Uncomplicated, Greenshirt, Little Triggers, Watch Your Step.....Watching the Detectives of course :rocks

Oooooooh drinks lol - 1st round was 24 bux (2 drinks) Snood Small House Brand Rum & Coke 11 bux and My buddie's beer in a medium refillable plastic cup 13 bux then 10 bux every beer after........He about choked. No big deal to me - Snood not a barfly any more and no go out too much so was fun and it a concert 🥳 so was expecting as much...........my best bud on the other hand lol :LOL: :eek:

Last edited:
Pineapple Thief in B-More last night...these guys are tearin' it up!! Don't hesitate--go! Tiny venue with a lot of hardcore fans, and some mainly there to catch Gavin Harrison live. He soars with this material.

Interesting tidbits from the meet and greet...a new TPT album hopefully in May, followed by a fall UK tour, and possibly a return to the US in 2021. One of the nicest meet-and-greets I have ever attended...these guys are totally down to earth and very witty.

I’m not much of a modernist, but I’ve always enjoyed the music of Philip Glass. The English National Opera have been a great champion of his operatic works, their production of his Akhnaten being a particular triumph. So it was with much anticipation that I went to The London Coliseum last night to see the ENO’s brand new production of Orphée.

Orphee_prog.JPG

It is based on the 1950’s film by Jean Cocteau. The staging mixes live action with projected fragments from that film.

It was, in equal measure:
Very Complex
Very Weird
Very Disturbing
Very Stylish
And I’m not sure I really fully understood it…..
But I loved it!

Philip Glass’s music was mesmerising, gripping and hauntingly beautiful. There aren’t many contemporary opera composers that can fill an opera house on a cold, wet November’s night but Glass is one of them, and for very good reason. It was a fantastic evening.

Orphee_ENO curtain call_Nov 2019 - Copy.JPG

I'm seeing him at Hammersmith Odeon next Friday and really looking forward to it. I don't go to many gigs nowadays, but in the month I will have seen Big Big Train, Marillion and Steve Hackett :SB
I went to Cambridge to see Steve H earlier in the month and believe you will enjoy the gig - and I particularly like you using the legacy name for the venue. Saw my first concert there in November 1972 (ELP) and cannot bring my self to use the current owner's name for it. Back to Steve Hackett; if not already aware you may be interested in this new album that he has made with the Hungarian jazz band Djabe called Back To Sardinia to add to the previous albums. Available from 6th December according to the email I received today. http://djabe.hu/en/uzlet/djabe-steve-hackett-back-to-sardinia-cd-dvd/

I really like Djabe and have several of their DVD Audio discs. Pity they don't seem to be able to play in the UK so may have to go to...Sardinia!

Kenny Wayne Shepherd tomorrow night in London. Really looking forward to this gig after being lucky enough to get The Traveler blu-ray which is a cracking album (by which I mean very good and not a damaged disc!!)(y)😁
I meant to provide a follow up after seeing Kenny WS; excellent gig, great value too. I would place him in the same bracket as Joe Bonamassa; great talent and really entertaining and currently tickets about 30% of the cost of those for JB, over here in Blighty anyway!! I can thoroughly recommend seeing Kenny if you have the chance.

What a trip!
Last night we went to the Franz Liszt Music Academy to see the Hungarian Symphony Orchestra blow our minds!!!
A gorgeous place with excellent acoustics, we were third row middle...it didn't get any better than this; it was in surround (now is when I understand the Atmos approach, I was hearing music from everywhere).
They played some Zoltan Kodaly, Richard Strauss and an eye watering version of Stravinsky's "Firebird".
It truly was a once in a lifetime experience when the right music meets the right place..
I found out it was being broadcast, if I find it I'll post the links...

Attachments

• 20191127_94933725.jpg
    20191127_94933725.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 131
The Budapest experience has been incredible..last night was a double header: our QQ darlings Djabe opening for Simon Phillips' "Protocol"...
Honestly I'd have had it the other way round cause, yes, Simon's band is really awesome but the music is a rehash of a bunch of things we are very familiar with (Billy Cobham, Weather Report....Spyro Gyra! et.al.)
The gig was in a barge called A38... pretty cool!
20191128_85057960.jpg

People give me a hard time about my frequent attendance at City Winery in Nashville. "Hey, do they call your house if you're not there?" All joking aside, as a Vinophile, I get first crack at tickets and valet parking. I'm up front close and the sound is always great. You really get to SEE the artists. Still planning to write about and share photos for specific shows soon. In the meantime, here's a look at all of my City Winery shows with ticket prices for comparison. [omitted 3 shows missed due to illness and 2 for schedule conflicts]

EDIT: My hope is this post is not seen as a humble-brag or anything like that; I simply provide this as evidence of an older man on a mission to make up for lost time on live music (raising family, less income), then magnified by recent illness. If I want to go see something now I just go; not worried if anybody else is into it or not. ;)

Living Colour 4/11/2016 $38
Snarly Puppy 5/17/2016 $30
Al Stewart (NYC) 6/14/2016 $40 [high school friend Cindy Lee Berryhill opened]
English Beat 8/25/2016 $20
Richard Thompson 10/21/2016 $68

Steve Hackett 2/14/2017 $55
Steve Hackett 2/15/2017 $55
Martin Barre 3/23/2017 $38
Carl Palmer's ELP Legacy 5/14/2017 $38
Victor Wooten Trio 5/16/2017 $42
The Church 7/01/2017 $38
The Verve Pipe 7/07/2017 $28
Dweezil Zappa Q&A 7/08/2017 $25
Badfinger - Joey Molland 11/22/2017 $28
Jerry Douglas 12/29/2017 $38

Hot Tuna 1/11/2018 $50
Eric Johnson 3/21/2018 $40
Bill Frisell Trio 4/13/2018 $30
Suzanne Vega 5/03/2018 $55
Joan Armatrading 6/02/2018 $110 (my birthday splurge)
Al Stewart solo 6/12/2018 $40
Simon Phillips Protocol 6/25/2018 $28

Peter Asher + Jeremy Clyde 1/30/2019 $25
Procol Harum 2/18/2019 $70
Oz Noy trio 3/07/2019 $28
Adrian Belew 3/10/2019 $35
Tower Of Power 3/15/2019 $35
Victor Wooten Trio 4/15/2019 $45
KT Tunstall 5/21/209 $40
Al Di Meola 6/23/2019 $60
The Verve Pipe 8/03/2019 $25
John Hiatt solo 11/22/2019 $80
The Aristocrats 8/10/2019 $30
Anders Osbourne solo 7/17/2019 $38
Kaki King 9/09/2019 $35
Leo Kottke 11/03/2019 $40

*upcoming shows*
Los Lobos 2/08/2020 $65
Wayne Krantz (KCL) 2/11/2020 $25
Webb Wilder 3/01/2020 $22
Kasim Sulton's Utopia 3/16/2020 $40

Last edited:
I went to Covent Garden last night to see –

DIV1.JPG

DIV2.JPG

Difficult to believe it is 25 years since this was last performed there – but what a production to return with. It was visually stunning, from the foreboding mists of the canals to the radiance of the beach at the Lido. It was also a real tour de force from Mark Padmore who sang Gustav von Aschenbach with immense and haunting conviction.

The other key role (uniquely silent in an opera!) is of course that of Tadzio -

DIV 6.jpg

who was danced last night by the Royal Ballet’s Leo Dixon in a display of gymnastic beauty that brought the house down.

DIV3.JPG

A wonderful and moving experience.

DIV 7.jpg

Last edited:
And whilst not strictly a gig in the conventional sense, your mention of Ticketmaster Beerking, reminded me that they are the only outlet where you can get tickets for the Tutankhamun exhibition "Treasures of the Golden Pharaoh" at the Saatchi Gallery.

Saatchi Gallery

I went last week. It celebrates the discovery of the pharaoh's tomb by Howard Carter 100 years ago and is particularly important as the Cairo Museum has declared that this is the last time that the artefacts will ever be loaned overseas again. Lots of the exhibits (three times as many as were displayed at the famous exhibition at the British Museum in the 1970's) have never been seen outside of Egypt before. It has already been to Los Angeles and Paris and if you are anywhere near London up until May 2020 I would urge you to go, it is stunning and a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Last edited:
And whilst not strictly a gig in the conventional sense, your mention of Ticketmaster Beerking, reminded me that they are the only outlet where you can get tickets for the Tutankhamen exhibition "Treasures of the Golden Pharaoh" at the Saatchi Gallery.

Saatchi Gallery

I went last week. It celebrates the discovery of the pharaoh's tomb by Howard Carter 100 years ago and is particularly important as the Cairo Museum has declared that this is the last time that the artefacts will ever be loaned overseas again. Lots of the exhibits (three times as many as were displayed at the famous exhibition at the British Museum in the 1970's) have never been seen outside of Egypt before. It has already been to Los Angeles and Paris and if you are anywhere near London up until May 2020 I would urge you to go, it is stunning and a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Cheers for that.
Yes it is of interest to me...somehow missed this was on, as I usually look out for things like this.
Almost need a new thread for alternative events!!

The young guy, George, is really stepping up with the guitar solos for TPT, isn't he!!

Back