The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First summer with no live music in 52 years for me.
The last show I saw was Dweezil Zappa's 50th Anniversary Hot Rats tribute tour on March 1st.

Interesting feature about the impact on old guard rockers who are my age or older.
I've seen more than half of them through the years, starting with John Fogerty (Creedence, June 1969, age 15).

14 Veteran Touring Artists on Life Without Concerts

First summer with no live music in 52 years for me.
The last show I saw was Dweezil Zappa's 50th Anniversary Hot Rats tribute tour on March 1st.

Interesting feature about the impact on old guard rockers who are my age or older.
I've seen more than half of them through the years, starting with John Fogerty (Creedence, June 1969, age 15).

14 Veteran Touring Artists on Life Without Concerts
I'm wondering if the rescheduled Van Der Graaf Generator & Nick Mason gigs will happen later on this year in October/November :( It is beginning to look like no venues/theatres will be allowed to open. But if the virus is still about I'm not sure I want to sit next to people coughing away. This is also the first year in quite a few decades where I haven't gone to at least one festival in the summer.

Last week, folks who had tix for Ann Wilson at Arcada Theater on St. Charles, IL got a treat. Although the show itself was canceled, Wilson arranged for her local fans to watch her 2018 Arcada appearance streaming w/pass code:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/subu...0200806-wqpvylbmmrh7ldggbhvep7prwi-story.html
Among songs presented: For What It's Worth, Your Move, Won't Get Fooled Again, Crazy on You, Alone & more. An hour. Great treat, better than no show at all!!

We had more advance tix this year than ever: Steely Dan/Winwood, Dokken, Johnny Rivers, Doobie Brothers/McDonald, Bee Gees' Gold (tribute), Black Crowes, Nickelback, & Kiss. All refunded, Phooey!!

David Clayton-Thomas & Abba Arrival (tribute) are still scheduled for later this year...

Going through concert withdrawals...

Our last concert was in February: Dirty Honey at Turner Hall, Milwaukee. Across the street from Fiserv Forum, where the Democratic Convention was (sort of) held this week. We got to hang with the band, as well.
When I'm Gone (official video):

Last Child (from Amazon Original "at RCA Studios"):

Love
Last week, folks who had tix for Ann Wilson at Arcada Theater on St. Charles, IL got a treat. Although the show itself was canceled, Wilson arranged for her local fans to watch her 2018 Arcada appearance streaming w/pass code:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/subu...0200806-wqpvylbmmrh7ldggbhvep7prwi-story.html
Among songs presented: For What It's Worth, Your Move, Won't Get Fooled Again, Crazy on You, Alone & more. An hour. Great treat, better than no show at all!!

We had more advance tix this year than ever: Steely Dan/Winwood, Dokken, Johnny Rivers, Doobie Brothers/McDonald, Bee Gees' Gold (tribute), Black Crowes, Nickelback, & Kiss. All refunded, Phooey!!

David Clayton-Thomas & Abba Arrival (tribute) are still scheduled for later this year...

Going through concert withdrawals...

Our last concert was in February: Dirty Honey at Turner Hall, Milwaukee. Across the street from Fiserv Forum, where the Democratic Convention was (sort of) held this week. We got to hang with the band, as well.
When I'm Gone (official video):

Last Child (from Amazon Original "at RCA Studios"):

Love "When I'm Gone", when I 1st heard that song on the radio I thought it was a new song from Greta Van Fleet,!! Fooled me :eek: :SB :ROFLMAO:

Going to a live show tomorrow - Grace Potter, for the first time since the pandemic started. It’s a social distancing show at a farm in Morris, CT where you’re seats are within a socially distanced square for two. There are many rules, but I’m OK with that. I desperately need some live music.

No Blues Cruise, no concerts, no LIVE MUSIC!!!! We scored a place in Yosemite Nat'l Park instead where they are only allowing 50% of normal capacity into the park. It was great and so empty we had the park rangers flashing lights at us for going too fast where it's usually all stop and go traffic all summer. Yes it was wonderful BUT IT AIN'T LIVE MUSIC DAMN IT!!! Last shows were in February seeing Dweezil Zappa twice in a row. Thank goodness for that at least. Amazing Shows.

No Blues Cruise, no concerts, no LIVE MUSIC!!!! We scored a place in Yosemite Nat'l Park instead where they are only allowing 50% of normal capacity into the park. It was great and so empty we had the park rangers flashing lights at us for going too fast where it's usually all stop and go traffic all summer. Yes it was wonderful BUT IT AIN'T LIVE MUSIC DAMN IT!!! Last shows were in February seeing Dweezil Zappa twice in a row. Thank goodness for that at least. Amazing Shows.
I know what you mean, I had 5 great bands to see and 2 music festivals cancelled this year, so far all but Peter Frampton (completely cancelled) have been moved to next year, and the festival line-ups are (currently) staying the same. I do wonder whether The Giants Of Rock in January (Wishbone Ash & Walter Trout are the main acts) which is all indoors and always very crowded will take place - and again paid for.

We bought tix for Kiss in Tinley Park, IL on Saturday night. I can't wait! Hold on, I guess we'll have to wait, 'cause it was cancelled.

DRAT!!

We'll likely use the refund to complete our Guy Lumbago collection...
Would've been a site, seeing Quad Goddess with raised fist near the stage and Gene Simmons spewing blood all over her nice clean outfit :oops:

This has been a crazy stretch indeed. Got through the tornado aftermath and then flew to San Diego for work and some wonderful visits with various friends of 40+ years. By the time last Wednesday (11) rolled around, I flew home on a plane that had 100 empty seats. Was expecting to attend a Devon Townshend show on Thursday (12) at Cannery Ballroom which cancelled day of show. Then the other three shows that would've completed by Saturday (21) all cancelled as well. Still hoping to see James Taylor in June, hunkering down like everyone else now. I've been working from home for about 30 years so just another day. Maybe I can catch up on listening at home.
TODAY March 11th, 2020 was my last day traveling for business, getting home in time for dominoes to fall and my future shows to postpone or essentially cancel altogether. By March 12th the term 'pandemic' was in full swing everywhere.

And now something reflective to look back at this time without live shows. Over Christmas vacation, I started putting concert phone clips through Handbrake to facilitate creation of a clip reel of past moments. It took time to select clips and select a sequence and keep it to 10 minutes. This strikes me as the right moment to share it. Consider this a hopeful little postcard from past events, pointing forward optimistically to a resumption of our live music scene.

With that, here is A Year Without Shows. Some players you will recognize, some will be new to you. I hope you enjoy it! :)

Last edited:
I was fortunate to catch a live set a few Fridays ago, for the first time since the 8th of March last year. This was Melbourne power-pop band Icecream Hands, playing at The Corner Hotel. The Corner, like a handful of other venues here, are organising some shows in a staggered format, whereby bands and/or DJs perform twice on the same night. Each performance has responsibly-diminished crowd capacity - gone are the packed throngs of the Crowded House (2007) and Sunnyboys (2012) reunions - and the runtime is also shortened somewhat. In this instance, Session One ran from 5-8ish, and Session Two from 9-Midnightish. I caught the 5 pm "post-matinée" session. :cool: It was very nice to see a gig again.

I was fortunate to catch a live set a few Fridays ago, for the first time since the 8th of March last year. This was Melbourne power-pop band Icecream Hands, playing at The Corner Hotel. The Corner, like a handful of other venues here, are organising some shows in a staggered format, whereby bands and/or DJs perform twice on the same night. Each performance has responsibly-diminished crowd capacity - gone are the packed throngs of the Crowded House (2007) and Sunnyboys (2012) reunions - and the runtime is also shortened somewhat. In this instance, Session One ran from 5-8ish, and Session Two from 9-Midnightish. I caught the 5 pm "post-matinée" session. :cool: It was very nice to see a gig again.
I was only saying to my son today, how much I miss going to live gigs with him. Live music is my first love. We have a very similar musical taste, even if he did get heavily into Rap!! :unsure: :)
But its more Jazz, funk, fusion now...
I hope it's not much longer, until we can all get back to what we enjoy.

Well my 1st vaccination is tomorrow, and the 2nd at the end of May, then if everything goes ok lock down will be eased, and the 2 festivals postponed from 2020, Fairport Convention's Cropredy Festival (same line-up) and a week later The Leveller's Beautiful Days Festival (line-up is still ???) will take place. Nothing guaranteed, a rise in cases or mutations could stop them. It will great be to meet up with old friends, have a (few/many) beers, and watch some live music.
1615758431214.png

Last edited:
I was overjoyed to have the chance to hear King Crimson in New Orleans last year . . . but NOOOO. Getting my money back from the online ticket a*s took appealing to a northeastern state's Better Business Bureau (it worked!). Thanks, state!

KC are hopefully touring there later in the summer <fingers x'ed>. Armed with full vaccine protection, I'll gladly attempt to go! But I'll make sure to get the ticket at the actual box office this time :mad:.

Going to a brewery this afternoon to drink beer and watch a Jazz Quintet, The Cosmo Alleycats, never heard of them but it will be live music. Lets hope this thread starts to get more popular again.
Whiskey | Seven Stills | United States

Still hoping to catch King Crimson in New Orleans later this year.

Meet you there, Kap? :rocks

Back