The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red Rocks, my one and only gig there in spite of the rain...
Jason Bonham opening with a truncated setlist (have I mentioned the rain????) was awesome!!!!
On to good ole Peter Frampton...had seen him once, in San Juan in 1980(!!!!)...
His illness has got him looking extremely frail, but he still has the strength to play perfectly and his voice is exactly the same!!!...well, he can't hit the highy notes anymore but, hey!!!!
Played for more than 2 hours...how old is he???
Wonderful farewell gift for me since I am moving to New Orleans soon...
Pic!
pframpton.jpeg

Tonight I saw Mr Blotto at Northbrook Days tomorrow night it's a Tom Petty tribute band called The Petty Kings and Sunday night it's Brass From The Past.......I watched the majority of the Petty Kings show from the side of the stage[pays to know the guy who runs the music at Northbrook Days]

Last edited:
New Orleans is a wonderful place...Staring a new life, i.e., I started SCHOOL this week in Loyola U studying an MBA ...
My birthday was YESTERDAY, turned only 55 and my lovely wife took me to see Queen on Tuesday night.. had NEVER seen them before and it was a delight seeing Professor May and Roger Taylor rocking in their 70s!!!
...Please excuse the "Batman" angle!
Queen.JPG

and last night it was time to see my favorite Delta Blues legend.. the MIGHTY Little Freddie King...at the dba club in Frenchman Street...
LFK.JPG

Happy birthday to me!!!!
:smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin
:51QQ:SB:SB:SB:SB:SB:SG:SG:SG:SG:SG:dance:dance:dance:dance:dance:dance:rocks:rocks:rocks:rocks:rocks:QQlove:QQlove:QQlove:QQlove:QQlove

Back from Denver earlier this week after Bryan Ferry show - most enjoyable. Good band, nice venue (Paramount)....sound mix was very good tho maybe Bryan could have been a bit higher, but I think that's more his recent "whisper croon" style that comes with his age. He sure looked sharp and well, great for a guy in his mid-70's. Glad we made the trip.

On deck for us next....Jonathan Richman up in Santa Fe (October), then Portland Cello Project here in Abq (November).

Can’t believe it was Prom 53 already last night (where has the summer gone?!).

“We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams…”

P1020166.JPG

P1020165.JPG

Great to have been there to see Sir Andrew Davis back at the helm of the BBC SO.
Their performance of Elgar’s sublime “The Music Makers” was magical.

The programme has an advert for Chandos’ surround SACD for the work with the same forces so I’m just about to place my order as I realise that for some strange reason I don’t have any recording of this beautiful and inspiring piece.

P1020167.JPG

I’m back at the RAH for another fine choral work tonight.

Sad that last night was my final outing of six this year with the rest of The Proms family:

P1020168.JPG

But a splendid night of Handel to end on, his stirring oratorio Jeptha:

P1020174.JPG

P1020176.JPG

The Scottish Chamber Orchestra gave a stylish, fleet of foot performance with all of the crispness and precision that Handel demands. Conductor Richard Egarr kept a tight rein on the complex resources of orchestra, soloists and chorus – a task made even more demanding by conducting from the harpsichord!

P1020173.JPG

One curiosity, and something I’d not seen before, whilst five of the six soloists sang from conventional printed scores, one of them used a tablet! It looked a little incongruous and I guess he must have great faith in his battery capacity!

Handel was of course one of the world’s greatest ever tunesmiths and even with a supposedly bloody story (such as human sacrifice here) he was unable not to write fantastic toe tapping melodies – and Jeptha is stuffed with them! Joyous stuff indeed.

There’s another couple of weeks of great music making ahead at this Proms season, but with no more tickets I’ll have to make do with the radio and TV coverage (until next year!)

So when I was six years old, I had a K-Tel album that had three songs that I drove my family nuts by playing over and over: "Smokin' in the Boys' Room" (Brownsville Station), "Spider and Snakes" (Jim Stafford) and "Little Willy" (Sweet.)

This time of year in the Northeast USA is when we have a lot of agricultural fairs. The fairs usually have musical entertainment. The fair in Woodstock, CT is a regular outing for my family. When I heard that Sweet would be playing......well my six year old self told me that I had to see them. Needless to say, the band that I saw only had one original member (the bass player) who isn't looking too good. I don't think the new singer was even alive when "Love is Like Oxygen" was a hit. But it was an amusing blast from the past to hear "Little Willy", "Fox on the Run" and "Ballroom Blitz". It looked something like this:

I got hit by a semi truck (anyone got the plate on those limeys???) That goes around by the moniker of the seven headed beast!!!!! And i was riding that fiiine 25 bike ride, if y'all catch my drift....i can barely stand...and this is their 50th anniversary tour...

I got hit by a semi truck (anyone got the plate on those limeys???) That goes around by the moniker of the seven headed beast!!!!! And i was riding that fiiine 25 bike ride, if y'all catch my drift....i can barely stand...and this is their 50th anniversary tour...
Next day at DIA...guess who is standing in front of me ...Robert, Jeremy and Pat!

Wait, I think I finally deciphered this post... Kap'n Krunch took a righteous psychedelic trip to go to see King Crimson, right? Awesomesauce! I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like! :p

Back