The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I rode our bikes on the Bay Trail from East Palo Alto to Mountain View, 20 mile round trip and kept seeing the Shoreline Amphitheatre tents on the horizon, so ended up being the distance goal. I have been to hundreds of live shows there, always with giant crowds of people, but yesterday it was so weird to go there, was like a ghost town, to look at everything really brought back memories and the longing to see a live concert again.
IMG_1153.jpg

My wife and I rode our bikes on the Bay Trail from East Palo Alto to Mountain View, 20 mile round trip and kept seeing the Shoreline Amphitheatre tents on the horizon, so ended up being the distance goal. I have been to hundreds of live shows there, always with giant crowds of people, but yesterday it was so weird to go there, was like a ghost town, to look at everything really brought back memories and the longing to see a live concert again.
View attachment 66537
Always saw the great gigs advertised for this venue, like Steely Dan etc., but never got over there, looks like the front of an Ice Skating Rink.

View attachment 66537
Shoreline! Great venue, loved how the backing curtains (?) looked like open parachutes. Bill Graham knew how to make a show extraordinary.

Saw the Grateful Dead there multiple times, and the lights were amazing, and at a summer solstice show, Mac computers were used to make a giant overhead oval shape with alternating closeup views of the musicians on stage and psychedelic oil color patterns. Memorable other shows included Jethro Tull, REM, Robert Plant, Moody Blues, and of course the yearly major event of Neil Young's acoustic Bridge concerts: James Taylor, Simon & Garfunkle, Bowie, Elton John, the Heart sisters, etc.

Remember how you are told to never look at the sun? At one Grateful Dead show I was returning from the bathroom and saw a wall of hundreds of young kids, their backs to the stage, and staring at the beautiful sunset. Hmm . . . I suppose they were, um, heightened in the senses!

I have my ticket from last year carried over for this festival (if it happens, could still get cancelled as there is no Covid Insurance cover for festivals). But if it does happen (the week after Fairport's Cropredy Fest) then Hawkwind & Van Der Graaf Generator on a festival line-up, the 70s aren't dead!
1620421937480.png

Went to see The Smyths (a Smiths cover band) last night at the 100 club on Oxford Street. 💐 Man it was good! Great gig and was so nice for things to be back to reality in a sense. All normal, no masks or distancing woohoo! 🍻

The music was brill of course and they sounded like they were the real thing. I would’ve loved to go again tonight but they sold out pretty quickly, and didn’t think to get tickets for both nights. 😂

Great to see live music again.

A85D6CD2-B952-4417-90DB-F38A5A804C6E.jpeg

Went to see The Smyths (a Smiths cover band) last night at the 100 club on Oxford Street. 💐 Man it was good! Great gig and was so nice for things to be back to reality in a sense. All normal, no masks or distancing woohoo! 🍻

The music was brill of course and they sounded like they were the real thing. I would’ve loved to go again tonight but they sold out pretty quickly, and didn’t think to get tickets for both nights. 😂

Great to see live music again.

View attachment 69373
Even though it’s nice to see live concerts and club gigs happening again…..you wouldn’t catch me at any NO SIR REA!! That’s just crazy, VACCINATED or not😊. To each their own

Making up for lost time somewhat (not as great as all the shows I had tickets for that were canceled due to the pandemic), I have tix to Dinosaur Jr, Pixies, Lettuce, Big Thief, and New Power Generation in the next few months...Aldous Harding in the spring. Fingers crossed that we can enjoy gigs with a modicum of peace-of-mind regarding the virus. Especially excited about Big Thief--love their edgy songs...a breath of fresh air...

I have my ticket from last year carried over for this festival (if it happens, could still get cancelled as there is no Covid Insurance cover for festivals). But if it does happen (the week after Fairport's Cropredy Fest) then Hawkwind & Van Der Graaf Generator on a festival line-up, the 70s aren't dead!
View attachment 66882
The Beautiful Days Festival is going to take place (unless.... things may go awry!) to enter you have to use the NHS App to show either double vaccination or a negative PCR test. So mostly outdoors or in a Big Top, apart from the 'Bimble Inn' a tented 'pub' with music, so as safe as it possibly can be, just so long as everybody is sensible - tends to be a lot of families so usually well behaved, and tickets sold out last year carried over!

Eased my way back into live music last night. The first show I've seen in 18 months! Headed out to Daryl Hall's club to catch this great Elton John tribute.

They specifically cover the period when Elton played live with only a bassist and drummer (as documented on the album 11-17-70). The pianist and bassist are members of The Asbury Dukes.

I thought they were great. But the real test would be if they get the @fredblue seal of approval? :unsure:

In early September I get to see my next show, King Crimson & The Zappa Band.

King Crimson - Fox Theatre Atlanta GA July 27. Another great show from this audacious three-drummer lineup. Below is a photo after the show taken by Tony Levin posted on his online Road Diary. I was pleased to see that one of my shots taken from the balcony captured the exact moment he snapped his shot. 😊

80C0F396-E791-451D-BA60-0EBD62B511F6.jpeg
A9DA6655-82DC-40BA-B5B8-B16F2B694BE0.jpeg

Just bought tickets today for next Weds Oct 13th, Doobie Brothers 50th Anniversary with Michael McDonald at Shoreline.
The Michael McDonald was the hook for me, I did see them all together in the 80's at Calaveras.
Regarding Covid, I think this is a mandatory vax card entry.
I have been in 4 super spreader events in the last 4 weeks, 1 football game in Philly and 3 football games here. Wore very little of mask including this past Sunday not at all.
I do not promote or have an opinion on anything, but it seems my vaccination is working well.
I go to the gym every day and I wear a mask everyday, mandatory at the gym, fine with me, I don't complain.

I finally got out to a performance last weekend (like most of us Im sure, my first since 2019). I took my kids to see the rocky horror show in dublin. It was a great antidote to the last 2 years and Id forgotten just how good the songs are - good tight band too

Next up is a nina simone tribute night thats been postponed twice, this one will mark my first child free night out in a long time. I may even have a few shandies.......

Ive also got tickets for tangerine dream next spring - unfortunately the period in the mid 80s where I got into them marked the point where their new music went downhill so I was never much intertested in seeing them live. Then a year ago I saw footage of the post edgar line up playing live and my interest was rekindled. Now if only steven wilson could follow his sterling work on phaedra with a trip through their 70s/early 80s catalogue

Pretty please

Today scored tickets to see Coldplay in April 2022. Will be my 2nd time seeing them, super great live big concert venue band. The fans love them, lots of young people which makes the experience even greater.
I have been to 5 super spreader events in the last 7 weeks, 4 football games and 1 concert, vaccine is amazing.

Back