The record pressing machines are wearing out

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The used music store guy told me the kids come in and do not want cd's. Only old LP's our music is highly sought after and that they are buying quality TT.
"talkin Bout MY generation!"

The big problem is that most of the former presses and cutting lathes were scrapped for CD's in the 90's. There was a big story in the papers years ago about Capitol Canada sending in dozers to reduce the machinery to rubble so they didn't have to dismantle them.

New ones will be made if money can be made but not until then.

And yes, the 'dozer thing is very sad.

Doug

i think it's quite exaggerated. sure there are some demand but not high enough to worth a heavy investment.
after all plenty of small record shops have filled shelves. there are plenty of LPs in Goodwill, Salvation Army and
bunch of another thrift stores. at least 99.9% of my LPs came from such places and albeit i'm not considering
myself as vinyl collector, i do have way, way over 1000 records.

frankly i do remember middle of 90-th and boxes filled by LP records with turntables, cassette decks on top at back
lines on the days of garbage collection :)

Demand would go up if the price came down. I'm not paying $25 or $30 for a single LP even if it is on 180 gram "Virgin" vinyl. And... does EVERYTING have to be on 180 gram vinyl. I have plenty of LPs that sound great on regular old 120 gram or 150 gram vinyl.

Demand would go up if the price came down. I'm not paying $25 or $30 for a single LP even if it is on 180 gram "Virgin" vinyl. And... does EVERYTING have to be on 180 gram vinyl. I have plenty of LPs that sound great on regular old 120 gram or 150 gram vinyl.

I'm a bit behind on the vinyl dialogue. Never even had the chance to hear 180G Vinyl. Love to though. Just to see what the fuss is about.

I agree halfway...yes, the 180 gram thing is overkill, bit I'd MUCH rather buy an LP than a CD-to me , the sound is above CD quality,even if it's an average pressing..and the LP size artwork!!!! (anyway, most LPs come with a voucher for you to d/l mp3 versions -I'd prefer mp4 @ 256 , which is the BEST codec there is and I can't tell them apart from CDs)

My turn for a mini rant. I don't object to heavier vinyl, but if you are gonna make the vinyl thicker, for Pete's sake, press deeper louder grooves in it like the 80's 12" singles from Europe. If you sell e a 180-200 gram record and the first time I slide it out of the cheap, coarse paper sleeve it has static and audible abrasions like my US print of NKOTB(which was pressed like DynaFlex), then I feel like I have wasted my money and won't play it again. I change all inner sleeve to poly as soon as I crack the shrink, but still worry more about new records over older. On a different note, I don't get the problem with DynaFlex. I have an inherited copy of Three Dog Night's Greatest Hits. I know it went to parties, and it got played on a 78 needle(the one my Dad said lasted longer) and yet still plays great. I only find they slip on changers, which if it is an important record, I wouldn't play in a stack anyways.

I just don't climb thru record stores much anymore, but on occasion go into the huge local store left. He has tons of records, new ones, and some are fairly priced, I guess. The last one I picked up was 18 for the lp. a dvd in a white sleeve in the lp, of much of a Europe gig, and a cd of the same lp. All in the LP sleeve, James McMurtry Live in Europe.
Here is an ebay copy. Seems like a decent deal. Was not a 180 gram pressing and was fine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/James-McMur...ith-full-album-CD-and-bonus-DVD-/221258093993

The UK EMI vinyl pressing plant has a happier story, no bulldozers. It was bought by property developers planning to build flats on the site, but they visited it and fell in love with the equipment, the nostalgia etc. So instead they re-opened it as a vinyl pressing business and have never looked back last time I heard.

"Hi, tell the gang I'll be over in a few minutes. I have about 20 more LPs and 10 more 45s to press. See ya later."

:D

Doug

Here's a picture of a record store from the University of Maryland 1969 yearbook.

Attachments

• MirroredPosters-p33.jpg
    MirroredPosters-p33.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 361
Back