The Royal Scam

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
Forty-five years ago today that they wandered in from the city of St. John without a dime. (And in all those years, not even so much as a hi-res remaster.)

[Edit: cancel that last remark. See Post #13 and following, below.]

1622487828600.png

Last edited:
Forty-five years ago today that they wandered in from the city of St. John without a dime. (And in all those years, not even so much as a hi-res remaster.)

View attachment 67580
I wonder why not?

An album I got when it was released a few weeks before my 1st year Uni exams - I played it over and over it was so good, not sure the others in the student house thought that!

View attachment 67580

would this qualify ?
The Royal Scam [Hi-Res CD (MQA x UHQCD)] [Limited Release]
Reissue in Hi-Res CD format (UHQCD format x MQA technology). Features the DSD master in 2018, using US original master tapes. The DSD master is available in 352.8kHz/24bit high resolution

would this qualify ?
The Royal Scam [Hi-Res CD (MQA x UHQCD)] [Limited Release]
Reissue in Hi-Res CD format (UHQCD format x MQA technology). Features the DSD master in 2018, using US original master tapes. The DSD master is available in 352.8kHz/24bit high resolution

Hmmm. I won't step into the MQA morass, even though Becker & Fagen's album title sorely tempts me. But I wasn't aware that there had been a new mastering in 2018. (The Japanese SHM-CD, for instance, used the 1998/99 CD RM.) So thanks! I'll have to do some research and see what people think of the sound.

Hmmm. I won't step into the MQA morass, even though Becker & Fagen's album title sorely tempts me. But I wasn't aware that there had been a new mastering in 2018. (The Japanese SHM-CD, for instance, used the 1998/99 CD RM.) So thanks! I'll have to do some research and see what people think of the sound.

I have it, and I really like it. I can't remember the exact wording in the liner notes, but it sounded like it was probably sourced from the DSD transfer done for the cancelled SACD. Like the other Japanese SHM-SACDs, it's got a lot more 'oomph' in the upper mids and high end, but for me anyway, it's actually a good thing. When I A/Bed the MQA CD with my old MCA first pressing CD, the MCA CD sounded positively muffled by comparison - the album on the MQA CD suddenly had remarkably strong phantom center imaging as a result of the EQ choices made.

Having said that, I would never play this album through an MQA decoder, because the EQ is slightly too aggressive for my tastes, and when MQA decoding is enabled it forces you into a "pure direct" mode where all post-processing (including EQ) are disabled. I still wish this had come out as the originally-scheduled SACD, but I'm glad to have the MQA version, but only because of the new transfer and mastering choices.

I run this full unfold into my preamp / processor. which synthesizes to 5.0. It sounds incredible in pseudo 5.0. Id say this is a worthy disc to own regardless if you mqa or not. But - alas ---the price of this disc is to the moon at the moment.

I have it, and I really like it. I can't remember the exact wording in the liner notes, but it sounded like it was probably sourced from the DSD transfer done for the cancelled SACD. Like the other Japanese SHM-SACDs, it's got a lot more 'oomph' in the upper mids and high end, but for me anyway, it's actually a good thing. When I A/Bed the MQA CD with my old MCA first pressing CD, the MCA CD sounded positively muffled by comparison - the album on the MQA CD suddenly had remarkably strong phantom center imaging as a result of the EQ choices made.
Given your thoughts it's a pity that it didn't have a 'normal' CD release then. I have the original CD release and the Citizen Dan as well and I thought the original CD sounded pretty fine when cranked a little. I wonder now how that CD sounds compared to the original vinyl?

When it was first released and for very many years to follow, I listened to a cassette in my car almost constantly. It’s surprising really how many years of near constant usage (nay abuse) they would suffer with very little complaint although it was essential to keep a pencil in the car. Nowadays, I probably listen to Aja more often than not. Not sure why but maybe it demands less of you in the listening experience? I know that when it was first released I thought it a total let down apart from the obvious couple of tracks, though I did still adore Josie. I went back to it after a decade or so and gave it another listen a few nights at the gym. Not exactly inspiring music for the gym but it did allow to realise that I’d overlooked a masterpiece after soaking in it for a few days.

Part of the problem with the Royal Scam is that I feel I have to pay more attention to it (should I think about it at all) so now when I’m doing household chores or making dinner, more often than not it will be Aja. My wife had been discussing the Dan with one of her work colleagues and when I picked her up the other day, Aja was playing. She immediately had to text her friend and tell her what we were listening to. Deacon Blues as it goes. Her friend replied to say that she thought it sounded like lounge music, though not in a disparaging way. I can see her point and tend to agree with it quite a bit. A lot of what is on offer with Aja is probably more subtle and very little of the Scam could be described as such.

Via Larry Carlton saying that he didn’t play on Gaucho when questioned, I found it somewhat intriguing that Third World Man was from the Scam sessions. The first thing I thought was, “Why didn’t this make the grade?” Initially I thought it sounded too mellow and didn’t really seem to have the ‘in your face’ production as I would describe it on the Royal Scam. Then again, maybe it was mixed to fit in more with the sound of the other tracks on Gaucho? But after hearing that it was earlier, it then seemed to me that it didn’t quite belong on that album. And the song? Beautifully crafted and recorded, Larry playing wonderfully understated, beautiful guitar throughout over the ever-present swell of that keyboard. I still thought it would have been shouted down by the other tracks on Scam so may not have played well with the other tracks? I think that the salient point that I'd missed was that it shared some thematic parts with Sign in Stranger so that they may have thought, dare I say it, that they’d repeated themselves?

As my wife picked me up to go out for dinner last night, I hopped into her car and playing at volume was Caves of Altamira. She often comments when she thinks that I may have things a little too loud but obviously not when it is of her choosing. Bluetooth now reigns and not a cassette to be found anywhere but still a sublime experience.

Probably played this more than any other Steely album and still my favourite. I expect it would have been much lesser of an album without Larry Carlton.

Rick Beato interviewed him a couple of days ago--and they talked about "Kid Charlemagne" and "Don't Take Me Alive." (Edit: sorry--it's an older interview. But Beato posted this excerpt a couple of days ago.)

As my wife picked me up to go out for dinner last night, I hopped into her car and playing at volume was Caves of Altamira. She often comments when she thinks that I may have things a little too loud but obviously not when it is of her choosing. Bluetooth now reigns and not a cassette to be found anywhere but still a sublime experience.
Strangely enough, a musical connection of mine only recently became acquainted with the Royal Scam. He did tell me that he was quite well aware of Aja and loved the sound quality. I did berate him on how this could really be possible given that he'd rated Aja so highly. How could he be unaware of the RS? Also weird was the fact that he could not purchase a CD copy of the RS locally so had to order it from OS. He is very keen on the natural world and the indigenous people of the world and is very well travelled. When he mentioned about some cave exploring experience he'd recently had (prior to the plague of course) I pointed him straight back to SD and the Caves of Altamira track. He then proceeded to tell that yes, he had visited there some years ago and all these other fantastic places ad infinitum he raved on. I had to cut him off, "But you're missing the point!" I said, "What about the song!"

Last edited:
Back