The SDE Surround Sound Series (Updated list of titles with links in post #1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
No.DateArtistTitle (year, if different)
Units​
Atmos EngineerLinks
1​
2022-02-25​
Tears for FearsThe Tipping Point
2000 (1st)
2500 (2nd)​
Steven Wilson[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
[ SDE PAGE ] [ DISCOGS PAGE ]
2​
2022-05-20​
xPropagandaThe Heart is Strange
1500​
Stephen Lipson[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
3​
2022-07-22​
Gilbert O'SullivanDriven
750​
Richard Whittaker[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
4​
2022-09-30​
Shakespears SisterHormonally Yours (1992)
2000​
Caesar Edmunds[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
5​
2022-10-14​
Brian EnoFOREVERANDEVERNOMORE
2500​
Brian Eno[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
6​
2023-02-17​
OrbitalOptical Delusion
1750​
Mark Ayres[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
6.5​
2023-03-17​
Various ArtistsConcert for George (2003)xxxxPaul Hicks[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
7​
2023-03-17​
Ten Years AfterA Space in Time (1971)
1000 (1st)
1000 (2nd)​
Kurt Martinez[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
8​
2023-05-13​
Bob DylanTime Out of Mind (1997)
5000​
Michael Brauer
Fernando Reyes
[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
9​
2023-06-09​
Tears for FearsThe Hurting (1983)
7000​
10​
2023-05-26​
Mike OldfieldTubular Bells (1973)
5000​
David Kosten[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
11​
2023-07-07​
SuedeSuede (1993)
3000​
12​
2023-08-04​
ABCThe Lexicon of Love (1982)
5000​
13​
2023-10-27​
Duran DuranDanse MacabrexxxxBob Clearmountain[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
14​
2023-12-01​
Trevor HornEchoes: Ancient & ModernxxxxTim Weidner[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
15​
2023-12-01​
Soft CellNon-Stop Erotic Cabaret (1981)
4000​
Chris Bolster[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
16​
2024-02-23​
Def LeppardDiamond Star HalosxxxxSteven Wilson[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
17​
2024-03-15​
Paul YoungNo Parlez (1983)xxxxDavid Kosten[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
18​
2024-04-12​
Mark KnopflerOne Deep River
2000 (1st)
500(2nd)​
Guy Fletcher[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
19​
2024-04-26​
Wham!Fantastic (1983)xxxxChris Porter[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
20​
2024-04-26​
Wham!Make It Big (1984)xxxxChris Porter[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
21​
2024-05-20​
KeaneHopes and Fears (2004)
2500​
David Kosten[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
[ SDE PAGE ] [ DISCOGS PAGE]
(Table added by @steelydave Feb. 9th, 2024)

---------

With the announcement of a Surround Sound Series from SuperDeluxeEdition.com (aka SDE) I thought it might be a good idea to have a dedicated thread for this new series. At the moment of course we know that the series has started off with two titles:

#1: Tears For Fears - The Tipping Point (limited edition of 2,000 copies)
#2: xPropaganda - The Heart is Strange (limited edition of 1,000 copies)

Looking forward to seeing what the future will bring. With the future in mind, I just sent an e-mail to SDE editor Paul Sinclair:

Hello Paul -

I just wanted to say how excited and grateful I am for the new SDE Surround Sound series. Those of us who enjoy surround sound have been feeling neglected by the record companies. It's wonderful to have you championing surround sound and making new releases happen.

I also wanted to mention that when the record companies started to lose interest in surround sound around twenty years ago, there were many classic albums that had surround mixes completed that have never been released. About twenty years ago, Universal released several classic Elton John albums in surround sound. However, the engineer who created these surround mixes (Greg Penny) has confirmed in interviews that he completed surround mixes of several Elton albums that have never been released. (These include Blue Moves, Caribou, Don't Shoot Me, Rock of the Westies and Made in England). Tony Visconti has mentioned in interviews that he completed surround mixes for Bowie's Lodger and Low years ago; neither has ever been released. Decades ago Eliot Scheiner had mentioned that he completed a surround mix of Steely Dan's Pretzel Logic which also remains unreleased. The list goes on.... Do you think that there is any chance that you might be able to strike a deal with the labels to get these released through the SDE Surround Series? I know that there are a lot of people who would be very excited to have them. (There is regular chatter over on the QuadraphonicQuad forum about this). It's a shame that these surround mixes have been gathering dust in a vault somewhere. Your surround series could be a perfect avenue for their release.

Thank you again for being a champion for surround sound. It is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the announcement of a Surround Sound Series from SuperDeluxeEdition.com (aka SDE) I thought it might be a good idea to have a dedicated thread for this new series. At the moment of course we know that the series has started off with two titles:

Looking forward to seeing what the future will bring. With the future in mind, I just sent an e-mail to SDE editor Paul Sinclair:

Hello Paul -

I just wanted to say how excited and grateful I am for the new SDE Surround Sound series. Those of us who enjoy surround sound have been feeling neglected by the record companies. It's wonderful to have you championing surround sound and making new releases happen.

I also wanted to mention that when the record companies started to lose interest in surround sound around twenty years ago, there were many classic albums that had surround mixes completed that have never been released. About twenty years ago, Universal released several classic Elton John albums in surround sound. However, the engineer who created these surround mixes (Greg Penny) has confirmed in interviews that he completed surround mixes of several Elton albums that have never been released. (These include Blue Moves, Caribou, Don't Shoot Me, Rock of the Westies and Made in England). Tony Visconti has mentioned in interviews that he completed surround mixes for Bowie's Lodger and Low years ago; neither has ever been released. Decades ago Eliot Scheiner had mentioned that he completed a surround mix of Steely Dan's Pretzel Logic which also remains unreleased. The list goes on.... Do you think that there is any chance that you might be able to strike a deal with the labels to get these released through the SDE Surround Series? I know that there are a lot of people who would be very excited to have them. (There is regular chatter over on the QuadraphonicQuad forum about this). It's a shame that these surround mixes have been gathering dust in a vault somewhere. Your surround series could be a perfect avenue for their release.

Thank you again for being a champion for surround sound. It is greatly appreciated.

Great letter. Keep us posted...

Hello Paul -

Love all of that; except for the "Limited Edition" (too few for sale thing IMO!) I hopefully have both of those titles headed my way, and would love any and all more.

It would interesting to see if they could expand on their relationship with Concord, who appear to control a wide range of surround stuff from '70s quads (Creedence's Gold on Fantasy, the Stax catalog, etc) to OOP 5.1 mixes from the early-00's (Alison Krauss' New Favorite on Rounder, LAGQ's Guitar Heroes on Telarc, etc).

It would interesting to see if they could expand on their relationship with Concord, who appear to control a wide range of surround stuff from '70s quads (Creedence's Gold on Fantasy, the Stax catalog, etc) to OOP 5.1 mixes from the early-00's (Alison Krauss' New Favorite on Rounder, LAGQ's Guitar Heroes on Telarc, etc).

R.E.M.'s Automatic for the People. Monster, New Adventures in Hi Fi, Out of Time and Kenny Wayne Shepherd's marvelous The Traveler have ALL been very recent CONCORD RECORD releases boasting Dolby Atmos BD~A's at very affordable prices so we know they're amenable to releasing surround content.

I'm certain, once SDE gets a grip on sales of their two maiden BD~A limited releases, they'll increase the amount of pressings!

It will be interesting to see if Paul Sinclair can interest record companies to release anything that is not in Europe. I heard that there are some strict policies when it comes to specific catalog releases between Europe and North America. I think it’s from different labels between each country. Someone more knowledgeable on the subject can add/correct me here.

As reported elsewhere on the forum:

Screenshot_20220406_215254.jpg

Let the speculation begin!!!

Now, it's Duran & Duran.
I agree, Duran Duran's Future Past is a possible contender - pretty sure there's a 360RA mix of that album on Tidal, perhaps they were able to port it over to Atmos & 5.1 (unless the mix was originally done in Atmos and converted to 360RA?).

I'd love it to be one of the better streaming-exclusive titles - something like Tom Petty's Wildflowers or Joe Bonamassa's Time Clocks, etc.

Back