The SDE Surround Sound Series (Updated list of titles with links in post #1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ill take that bet as I say the winner is Tears For Fears
TFF being the first release went under many peoples radar, hence the second pressing. I think there is more likelihood of Eno being a bigger seller.
If the new def leppard or INXS best of happened, i could see 10k sales
Would also love The Social Network atmos mix that Trent talked about

@PaulatSDE , thank you so much for your latest newsletter, you hit the nail on the head: I will quote a bit... "....Streaming really is a case of 'Forever Not Yours'. It never belongs to you....."
Cheers!
everything is on loan to us, my dear Kapitan.. including this moving, i mean, mortal coil..!! :smokin

i am totally on board however with the concept of at least having the option of owning physical music product(s) until such time one has shuffled orf one's mortal coil..!!

although even a moving coil can be retipped so you know what, screw it there is life after streaming!! 😋

"we have the technology,
we can retip him
" 🤑😜

everything is on loan to us, my dear Kapitan.. including this moving, i mean, mortal coil..!! :smokin

i am totally on board however with the concept of at least having the option of owning physical music product(s) until such time one has shuffled orf one's mortal coil..!!

although even a moving coil can be retipped so you know what, screw it there is life after streaming!! 😋

"we have the technology,
we can retip him
" 🤑😜
dunno if they are showing it in England but there is a series in Amazon Prime which is called "Upload"...you should watch it if you can...the whole "streaming" concept is taken to a whole new level...

@PaulatSDE , thank you for the heads up and I am subscribed to the alerts so I got a couple of emails...
Obviously ordered ...
Let's hope this opens the Eno in MCH floodgates cause he is a long time Surround enthusiast...

I got all of them except for the Gilbert one...
I ordered them all too. Even the Gilbert. The Gilbert one is odd. You pay for it and then nothing happens. It just never shows up. ;)

@PaulatSDE , thank you so much for your latest newsletter, you hit the nail on the head: I will quote a bit... "....Streaming really is a case of 'Forever Not Yours'. It never belongs to you....."
Cheers!

Music and Ownership are strange cousins methinks. What I'm really worried about is someone taking my ability to listen to a recording away a la Long Lost. But, the bigger problem with streaming for me is bandwidth.

Music and Ownership are strange cousins methinks. What I'm really worried about is someone taking my ability to listen to a recording away a la Long Lost. But, the bigger problem with streaming for me is bandwidth.
IMO, BOTH are EQUALLY SUSPECT. Physical disc ownership with LOSSLESS encoding is still the WAY TO GO! NOT to mention 'bonus' video content on a BD~A/V

No lossless on streaming both makes perfect sense and no sense to me.
No sense as most VIDEO streaming services run at a bitrate higher than TrueHD Atmos. Surely in musicland it would be feasible?
Ah, but why would I give away a perfect copy of my song for pennies when I can get actual money for it? It's not unreasonable to charge a couple bucks for an album instead of a couple pennies?

No lossless on streaming both makes perfect sense and no sense to me.
No sense as most VIDEO streaming services run at a bitrate higher than TrueHD Atmos. Surely in musicland it would be feasible?
Ah, but why would I give away a perfect copy of my song for pennies when I can get actual money for it? It's not unreasonable to charge a couple bucks for an album instead of a couple pennies?
Jack, my main gripe against the music biz is they rarely ever give us a mirror image of the 'absolute' master source, whether analogue or digital, which has kept them in business for years ...... remastered REISSUES up the WAZOO ...each promising to be better than the last!

I've alluded to that FOR YEARS! At least with video, Native 4K does pretty much cover the existing resolution of 35mm film negatives but future generations will want 8K/16K.......as advanced digital videography evolves!

Last edited:
IMO, BOTH are EQUALLY SUSPECT. Physical disc ownership with LOSSLESS encoding is still the WAY TO GO! NOT to mention 'bonus' video content on a BD~A/V
I have to compare streaming to radio. Back in the day, I'd listen to radio and then buy the album if I really liked it. That would let me listen to it whenever I wanted and the sound quality was also better. With streaming I can listen to it only when I have an internet connection and while the audio is generally adequate for stereo for multichannel it isn't. So why can't they make MORE money by selling me the album?

Back