The SDE Surround Sound Series (Updated list of titles with links in post #1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't remember if this is the thread where we were suggesting titles for this series, but...

...any 5.1 mix sitting unreleased on Bob Clearmountain's hard drives. This includes some jaw-dropping, A-list titles. It's not difficult to determine the prospective titles, as he's done a surround mix for every album he's mixed, passed a certain date.
Anybody know that date?

Can't remember if this is the thread where we were suggesting titles for this series, but...

...any 5.1 mix sitting unreleased on Bob Clearmountain's hard drives. This includes some jaw-dropping, A-list titles. It's not difficult to determine the prospective titles, as he's done a surround mix for every album he's mixed, passed a certain date.
Anybody know that date?

Well, he did the Avalon mix in 2003. So presumably everything he's been involved in since? He's definitely been involved in a lot of later day Srpingsteen and Stones albums. And a real favorite of mine, Everyone is Here by The Finn Brothers.

Well, he did the Avalon mix in 2003. So presumably everything he's been involved in since?
Good enough for me!
That's 20 years of 5.1 mixes...
Btw, many of you will know that this scenario is how we got Mary Fahl's From the Dark Side of the Moon 5.1 mix.
Bob had already done it. Mary decided to put it out.
We'd just need somebody to reach out to artists and see if they'd like the surround mix of their album released. Reach some new fans. Hear their music in a new way, without commissioning an Atmos mix.

Anybody know that date?

I think that deserves a whole new product line: The SDE Bob Clearmountain Series!

Here's the thread:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/bob-clearmountain-on-mixing-atmos.32789/

I wonder if the music industry would be open to the model the film industry uses where they basically triple-dip these days. First the movie theaters, then streaming, then physical media. I'd prefer to buy physical media right at the time of release but would still buy physical or downloadable lossless files six months or a year after it hit the streaming services if that was the only way to get it.

Perhaps some of those older titles would be easier for SDE to release such as Coldplay's Everyday Life or the Tom Petty titles.

With streaming I can listen to it only when I have an internet connection and while the audio is generally adequate for stereo for multichannel it isn't. So why can't they make MORE money by selling me the album?
Not when you pay for streaming, you can listen to stuff offline. But if I am going to continue buying albums, I can't see paying for streaming too. Just too much.
Perhaps some of those older titles would be easier for SDE to release such as Coldplay's Everyday Life or the Tom Petty titles.
Coldplay would be a release that could really hit big. The even have precedent with the Head Full Of Dreams Blu-ray, flawed as it may be.

Not when you pay for streaming, you can listen to stuff offline. But if I am going to continue buying albums, I can't see paying for streaming too. Just too much.
My streaming budget does some out of my music purchase budget. But I've got some left over. The main thing I'm not buying any more are the $100 boxes with one surround mix that I can stream instead.

Luckily for me I purchased Gilbert more as a curiosity and to support the SDE Surround Series. It's not something I needed to hear on release day so I can be patient. I've bought dozens of things through Paul's SDE shop over the years without an issue so I'm not at all worried.

Luckily for me I purchased Gilbert more as a curiosity and to support the SDE Surround Series. It's not something I needed to hear on release day so I can be patient. I've bought dozens of things through Paul's SDE shop over the years without an issue so I'm not at all worried.
I don’t see this as an issue with Paul and realize it is out of his hands. I’m very appreciative that he is making this Blu-ray Audio series available

Since I’ve only ordered the TFF so far, I went ahead and ordered a copy of the Eno last night. Out of all the other releases so far, this one is at least a little interesting to me as I like his work with Robert Fripp, Talking Heads etc. and am fascinated to hear his so called unorthodox approach to the surround mix.

Back