The SDE Surround Sound Series (Updated list of titles with links in post #1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'll be blunt, I was hoping for something much more exciting, but I am still psyched that they continue doing these reissues :)

Yes, same.

I'm more encouraged having seen the video clip, which is quite good (and love his shirt), but we know nothing about the mixing engineer? I felt xPropaganda, being with ZTT, may have a reasonable chance of being a better than average mix (it could even be Trev? not that I know about his track record in this area, possibly conservative?). But what are the chances that GO'S will be more than tamely mixed? Mind you, I am finding that Atmos is encouraging conservative mixers to be a little more brave, so maybe... But I'm just not confident enough 5.1 wise, especially given the cost of these discs for me, located here way down in Oz with our less than good exchange rate coupled with delivery cost.

So, undecided... :unsure:

Have to admit that the only song of Gilbert's that I remember is the big hit "Alone Again". Checked out a couple of other songs that apparently were hits here in the States but they didn't ring a bell. 🔕. However, that new tune is pretty fun. I like the unexpected changes in the chord progression. (I can see why Glenn Tilbrook is a fan. He likes to do the same thing a lot). So, I guess I'm am going to have to pull the trigger and purchase. It's great that SDE is doing this series so it's time to vote with my wallet!

When I was checking out Gilbert's older stuff, I stumbled on this 1973 performance with a certain English pianist. Wonder if @fredblue has seen this?

Have to admit that the only song of Gilbert's that I remember is the big hit "Alone Again". Checked out a couple of other songs that apparently were hits here in the States but they didn't ring a bell. 🔕. However, that new tune is pretty fun. I like the unexpected changes in the chord progression. (I can see why Glenn Tilbrook is a fan. He likes to do the same thing a lot). So, I guess I'm am going to have to pull the trigger and purchase. It's great that SDE is doing this series so it's time to vote with my wallet!

When I was checking out Gilbert's older stuff, I stumbled on this 1973 performance with a certain English pianist. Wonder if @fredblue has seen this?

Yeah, I always liked that tune as well. Never saw that footage though.

ahh.. "i've seen that movie too" 😉 🤗

i've always liked GOS! 😍

and Gilbert O'er Sundriedtomatoes ain't bad either! 😅🤣

Hey, GO’S has embraced surround (hopefully with a good mixer in tow!) And perhaps he has music buddies like that flashy dresser he’s singing with at the piano; that’ll be influenced a little to put out some more music in surround in a similar format (physical.)

He also looks like he’s aged fabulously and appears to still have a good voice!

And do we know if there are any other guest artists with him on this release?

Hey, GO’S has embraced surround (hopefully with a good mixer in tow!)
This isn't his first surround release :)

Gilbert Q8 1.jpeg
Gilbert Q8 2.jpeg

Hey, GO’S has embraced surround (hopefully with a good mixer in tow!) And perhaps he has music buddies like that flashy dresser he’s singing with at the piano; that’ll be influenced a little to put out some more music in surround in a similar format (physical.)

He also looks like he’s aged fabulously and appears to still have a good voice!

And do we know if there are any other guest artists with him on this release?
I saw him live in 2019 and his voice was as good as ever. I suddenly realised how many hits he's had and how many I could sing along to. Blu Ray ordered.

Just got an e-mail from the SDE shop that the preorder window closes this week, and that only 750 copies will be produced. That means the interest in Gilbert O'Sullivan is much lower than in the first two releases...
I had never heard of GoS until the SDE announcement. I suspect that the low sales can be attributed to the lack of knowing who he is, the music genre and the limited songs that he has had that have breached top music lists in the USA as opposed to internationally.

https://www.classicrockhistory.com/top-10-gilbert-osullivan-songs/

Saw Gilbert O'Sullivan here in Nashville a couple of months ago and it was a delightful show! Gilbert was energetic and in fine voice, playing one great tune after another. Ordered this disc without any hesitation. (he was on my AM radio when I was 13)

Last edited:
Some more info from SDE on GO'S' release; when I hit the page their In the Bag (shopping Cart) at the top said "Your Bag is empty" - I didn't realize I was so shallow -LOL

https://www.thesdeshop.com/collecti...YwoHE2u7NZNi42fwmktXzpzgUgCDAz4CsHsGY=.H3pGub
The hits continued in the 1970s, even if – for one reason or another – things were quieter in subsequent decades, but the music endured via regular compilations and Gilbert's songs featuring in films (including 1999 family favourite Stuart Little).

That's not to say there were not new long-players from time to time, and indeed his last outing, 2018's well-received Gilbert O'Sullivan was this 19th studio album and reached number 20 in the UK charts.

The new album – Driven – has been produced by Andy Wright (who has worked with Simply Red, Eurythmics, Simple Minds and Echo and The Bunnymen, among others). It's remarkable, inasmuch as it feels both familiar and fresh at the same time. It bears all the hallmarks of this classic singer-songwriter but mixes the signature piano ballads ('Blue Anchor Bay') with some peppier uptempo numbers recorded with a full band at London’s famous RAK Studios (the JJ Cale-esque opener 'Love Casualty' being a great example). KT Tunstall duets on the springhtly 'Take Love' (the first single) while Mick Hucknall sings beautifully on the mid-paced reflective number 'Let Bygones Be Bygones'.

Back