The SDE Surround Sound Series (Updated list of titles with links in post #1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Gene, check your local PBS television schedule!
The Sacramento PBS (KVIE) is showing it at 8PM on Friday Nov 25.
How are you receiving your Sac. PBS, cable/Sat.; off-air etc?

My Sac. PBS via AT&T U-verse is only stereo, I need to check and see if it is in any kind of surround via off-air :unsure:

Ordered this 6.5 SDE early this morning, it was an easy purchase off my i-Phone in bed with PayPal 😜

about the new mix:

He told us: “With the fact that Apple and [others] have embraced spatial technology, I feel that people are ready to go a bit bolder in it now. When we did the theatrical [Dolby Atmos mix], you know, that’s meant for screenings, so was a little bit more traditional. But with how people are listening to Atmos today, I thought we could go a little bit more daring with this [Blu-ray Audio]…

When I saw this title announced, I was concerned about doubling up on the (wonderful and excellent) existing BD-V.
Additional tunes, plus a more adventurous Atmos mix was all I needed to know to be 100% onboard.
I listen to live albums all the time. No reason (for me) to pass on this because of no video footage.

Hmmmmmm, very strange.
Hicks did 2 mixes, one for cinema, one for audio.
The atmos streaming is very similar to the original 5.1 and both are very conservative. Slight vocals and strings in the back.
I'm guessing that the current streaming atmos is the cinema mix, or a completely different conservative mix by Tim H.
I hope Hicks is accurate in saying that the new new mix is as if you are on stage.

A unique position where the engineer(s?) who mixed have likely not heard their own mix on apple or tidal... and a new physical release of something already physical and already streaming that is supposedly different from both, but must be pre-ordered before we are sure.
Paul, I love that you are releasing this but I really hope it's a different mix than what is currently streaming.

Hmmmmmm, very strange.
Hicks did 2 mixes, one for cinema, one for audio.
The atmos streaming is very similar to the original 5.1 and both are very conservative. Slight vocals and strings in the back.
I'm guessing that the current streaming atmos is the cinema mix, or a completely different conservative mix by Tim H.
I hope Hicks is accurate in saying that the new new mix is as if you are on stage.
I’m hoping there was a mix-up and the “cinema” mix was uploaded to Apple Music instead…
I donno . . . on "Photograph" (to take one example): I get mixed vocals in both fronts and rears--Ringo's lead is dominant in the fronts, while the harmonies are stronger in the rears. Both seem to be doubled at lower volume in the front overheads, while rear overheads have faint reverb. To me, that's more aggressive than a typical theatrical concert mix, and I can see where someone with a different sensibility than mine might even describe it as "standing in the middle of the singers."

I donno . . . on "Photograph" (to take one example): I get mixed vocals in both fronts and rears--Ringo's lead is dominant in the fronts, while the harmonies are stronger in the rears. Both seem to be doubled at lower volume in the front overheads, while rear overheads have faint reverb. To me, that's more aggressive than a typical theatrical concert mix, and I can see where someone with a different sensibility than mine might even describe it as "standing in the middle of the singers."
Definitely need to give it a closer listen, but I guess I was hoping for something more in the vein of The Dead's Europe '72...

When I saw this title announced, I was concerned about doubling up on the (wonderful and excellent) existing BD-V.
Additional tunes, plus a more adventurous Atmos mix was all I needed to know to be 100% onboard.
I listen to live albums all the time. No reason (for me) to pass on this because of no video footage.
I resemble that remark 👍🏼

On Tidal, the Immersive Mix Engineer credit goes to Tim Hoogenakker so maybe it's a different mix?
I see both Tim Hoogenakker and Paul Hicks credited.
65353103-4720-49DE-B14D-E2579E07EC7B.jpeg

Back