The SDE Surround Sound Series (Updated list of titles with links in post #1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have my doubts about how much could be done with an adventurous 5.1 mix (or more) for Bridge of Sighs.

I had done a typical Penteo up-mix on a few tracks but was not too impressed with the overall results (I know, not a multitrack mix.) I'm pretty familiar with this album as I used to play along with it for hours on end in the 80's on a guitar. It has some nice effects like swirling wind and little high end chimes etc., distorted guitar or two/three layered in. So it doesn't have all kinds of real interesting details to work off of. Lots of phasing effects on guitar through his Uni-vide pedal though, so maybe they could do some swirling around with that from the multi's IDK. However, basically it is mainly a 3 piece Rock band (Trower- Guitar, James Dewar - Bass & Vocals & Reg Isidore - Drums.) It would be fun to hear just what could be done with it; and glad to be proved wrong about this, since I too love the album!

Here's an article about the gear used by Trower, especially the Uni-vibe pedal.

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/the-secrets-behind-robin-trowers-guitar-tone-on-bridge-of-sighs
What does a Uni-Vibe pedal do?
What is a Uni-Vibe Pedal. A Uni-Vibe pedal is a modulation effect and can produce sounds similar to a chorus or phaser pedal. The original Uni-Vibe was created to try and emulate a Leslie speaker. It did a poor job at emulating that sound but created something special instead.

OK, go ahead and pummel me with sighs.

I have my doubts about how much could be done with an adventurous 5.1 mix (or more) for Bridge of Sighs.

I had done a typical Penteo up-mix on a few tracks but was not too impressed with the overall results (I know, not a multitrack mix.) I'm pretty familiar with this album as I used to play along with it for hours on end in the 80's on a guitar. It has some nice effects like swirling wind and little high end chimes etc., distorted guitar or two/three layered in. So it doesn't have all kinds of real interesting details to work off of. Lots of phasing effects on guitar through his Uni-vide pedal though, so maybe they could do some swirling around with that from the multi's IDK. However, basically it is mainly a 3 piece Rock band (Trower- Guitar, James Dewar - Bass & Vocals & Reg Isidore - Drums.) It would be fun to hear just what could be done with it; and glad to be proved wrong about this, since I too love the album!

Here's an article about the gear used by Trower, especially the Uni-vibe pedal.

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/the-secrets-behind-robin-trowers-guitar-tone-on-bridge-of-sighs
What does a Uni-Vibe pedal do?
What is a Uni-Vibe Pedal. A Uni-Vibe pedal is a modulation effect and can produce sounds similar to a chorus or phaser pedal. The original Uni-Vibe was created to try and emulate a Leslie speaker. It did a poor job at emulating that sound but created something special instead.

OK, go ahead and pummel me with sighs.
How about bass and drums up front, lead vocals in the center, and Trower wailing form the rears and ceiling? That's pretty much what I'm looking for.

I asked Paul whether there is a possibility to create it in subscription form for returning customers. Only answer from him is what the benefits are.
Of course you can think of a lot, but I have the feeling that he is not that interested in it. I think if you already have a solid base, you can do something, such as combine and ship orders. Or give a small discount on the order in question, even if it's only half a pound.

I asked Paul whether there is a possibility to create it in subscription form for returning customers. Only answer from him is what the benefits are.
Of course you can think of a lot, but I have the feeling that he is not that interested in it. I think if you already have a solid base, you can do something, such as combine and ship orders. Or give a small discount on the order in question, even if it's only half a pound.
I like the idea of a subscription base... But I guess the SDE order system is already capable of providing him with information as to those of us who have purchased every disc in the 'Surround Sound' collection so far.

That being said, maybe we could start our own list here on the forum...

The last thing we need is this world is another "exclusive" bullshit subscription deal where we essentially have to "pay to play." People should be able to buy the titles they want and not be held hostage by being coerced into purchasing stuff for which they have no interest. The solution is to make enough copies to meet the estimated demand. If that is not enough, then a rerun as with Tears For Fears should be the backup option.

The last thing we need is this world is another "exclusive" bullshit subscription deal where we essentially have to "pay to play." People should be able to buy the titles they want and not be held hostage by being coerced into purchasing stuff for which they have no interest. The solution is to make enough copies to meet the estimated demand. If that is not enough, then a rerun as with Tears For Fears should be the backup option.
You can always buy without subscribing. The question isn't asking for one method over the other.

The question is can a subscription service be created that is of benefit to both SDE and us as consumers.

I have bought half of the titles so far, having no interest in the electronic releases. If there was a compelling subscription available then I would have them all.

Sure, that doesn't really matter when they have all sold out, but it is a solid metric that people look at and may influence Paul's ability to procure titles that might otherwise be out of reach.

Mere speculation here, but I imagine there’s some subscription management that a small operation like his wouldn’t want to take on at the moment.
  • You have the management of subscriptions constantly starting and ending.
  • The extra work if, during the subscription period, credit cards expire.
  • People moving or needing to change an address during the subscription period.
  • People griping that during their subscription year, they didn’t get a lot of music they actually liked.
While software may deal with some issues, I would still think it’s a big task for a small team.

I do think @Marplot makes a good point about a benefit... it shows that there’s a built-in market for these releases that might be beneficial in landing certain albums. Although at this point, I’m sure the basic sales results from the previous releases tell a similar “this works" story.

This is still a pretty young operation. Maybe a couple of years down the line a subscription plan is an option. But right now I think it would be more work than it’s worth.

Could be totally wrong, though.

Back