The SDE Surround Sound Series (Updated list of titles with links in post #1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mere speculation here, but I imagine there’s some subscription management that a small operation like his wouldn’t want to take on at the moment.
  • You have the management of subscriptions constantly starting and ending.
  • The extra work if, during the subscription period, credit cards expire.
  • People moving or needing to change an address during the subscription period.
  • People griping that during their subscription year, they didn’t get a lot of music they actually liked.
While software may deal with some issues, I would still think it’s a big task for a small team.

I do think @Marplot makes a good point about a benefit... it shows that there’s a built-in market for these releases that might be beneficial in landing certain albums. Although at this point, I’m sure the basic sales results from the previous releases tell a similar “this works" story.

This is still a pretty young operation. Maybe a couple of years down the line a subscription plan is an option. But right now I think it would be more work than it’s worth.

Could be totally wrong, though.

I think you’re right and a subscription is too complicated for the SDE Team and maybe contentious for blind buys. What i’ve noticed over the last few releases from Eno onwards is that there’s been overlapping open windows for releases which allows for combined shipping rates for multiple purchases eg when TYA was announced, you could still order Shakespeares Sister and pre-order Orbital and concert for George

Hi everyone, just wanted to stop by and say hello, since it has been a while. Thanks for your ongoing support and interest in the SDE Surround Series!!

This year is going to be a great year. The "stretch" goal is to deliver at least 12 titles in the next 12 months (we announced 7 last year including #6.5 which was Concert For George) and 2023 has got off to a positive start with a few things already all but confirmed for the coming months. If things go well there will be TWO more blu-ray announcements in February.

I read the discussion about subscription models and @Blackwood hit the nail on the head really, in terms of it requiring too much administration from our end. We are a small team and of course I'm running the SDE site day-to-day and that sucks most of my time. Keeping it simple is the key.

I'd like to offer two titles at the same time to save on shipping but that isn't easy to do, since normally we're working with different labels and different release dates and the more complex and nuanced this projects become the less likely record labels are going to want to collaborate. That's also the reason why sometimes I'd love to add extra content (B-sides, videos) it doesn't happen too much because it just adds a whole level of complexity that puts labels off (are the B-sides remastered? Are the videos HD etc.). The more 'hassle' for a record label the less likely they'll want to repeat the process. It's a bit of a balancing act.

You'll have noticed that Ten Years After was limited to a specific number. Hopefully most/all of you got a copy. There will likely be varying marketing strategies over the next 12 months depending on the project and the deal with the label. I'm not trying to annoy people, I am trying to ensure each individual project is successful and allows us to move on to the next one! Some will revert to the pre-order window, some might be a 'number'. It will depend on various factors. It's always easy after the event to say "why didn't you do more" but sometimes I just need to err on the side of caution. I thought we'd sell more than the 2500 units 'Concert For George' for example, so you can never assume any title or project is a 'slam-dunk'.

Anyway, I hope that has given you a little bit of insight into my thought process. I'm really enjoying what has become a bit of a surprising 'side line' in many respects and thanks again for all your support

Paul

Hi everyone, just wanted to stop by and say hello, since it has been a while. Thanks for your ongoing support and interest in the SDE Surround Series!!

This year is going to be a great year. The "stretch" goal is to deliver at least 12 titles in the next 12 months (we announced 7 last year including #6.5 which was Concert For George) and 2023 has got off to a positive start with a few things already all but confirmed for the coming months. If things go well there will be TWO more blu-ray announcements in February.

I read the discussion about subscription models and @Blackwood hit the nail on the head really, in terms of it requiring too much administration from our end. We are a small team and of course I'm running the SDE site day-to-day and that sucks most of my time. Keeping it simple is the key.

I'd like to offer two titles at the same time to save on shipping but that isn't easy to do, since normally we're working with different labels and different release dates and the more complex and nuanced this projects become the less likely record labels are going to want to collaborate. That's also the reason why sometimes I'd love to add extra content (B-sides, videos) it doesn't happen too much because it just adds a whole level of complexity that puts labels off (are the B-sides remastered? Are the videos HD etc.). The more 'hassle' for a record label the less likely they'll want to repeat the process. It's a bit of a balancing act.

You'll have noticed that Ten Years After was limited to a specific number. Hopefully most/all of you got a copy. There will likely be varying marketing strategies over the next 12 months depending on the project and the deal with the label. I'm not trying to annoy people, I am trying to ensure each individual project is successful and allows us to move on to the next one! Some will revert to the pre-order window, some might be a 'number'. It will depend on various factors. It's always easy after the event to say "why didn't you do more" but sometimes I just need to err on the side of caution. I thought we'd sell more than the 2500 units 'Concert For George' for example, so you can never assume any title or project is a 'slam-dunk'.

Anyway, I hope that has given you a little bit of insight into my thought process. I'm really enjoying what has become a bit of a surprising 'side line' in many respects and thanks again for all your support

Paul
Thanks Paul for taking the time to answer so many of the questions that have been popping up here since the Ten Years After disc was announced! This series is turning to be a lot of fun and I wish you and SDE lots of success for the years to come.

Not knowing the typical geographic demographics, I can't help but wonder if SDE can't find a USA partner to fullfill orders stateside and decrease shipping to buyers on this side of the pond. Although that still doesn't solve the current dilemma of too few copies for the Ten Years After hopefuls that missed out, and future releases if Paul continues on a specific run size versus time based ordering.

Paul
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way you do things keep up the great work. Thanks

Paul
Bravo on the job you've done in resurrecting the Pure Audio series Paul. I've got them all and will continue buying each new release. Can't wait to see what's coming up!!

Yes of course, thanks to Paul for all.
I would recommend that people interested in keeping completely up to date on all, do these things.
1. Subscribe via YouTube to THE YOUTUBE SDE SERIES. Here you can watch videos of Paul doing unboxing, talk, etc.
2. Create an SDE ACCOUNT, with your preferences, etc. Easier for quick ordering, etc.

I hope the next release goes back to a 1- or 2-week ordering window. I feel bad for people who miss out with a low-run or a short order window... and I’d like to avoid the stress I feel when I wake up in the U.S., see a release announcement and struggle through the haze of waking up (not a morning person) to coherently place an order before it sells out.

I hope the next release goes back to a 1- or 2-week ordering window. I feel bad for people who miss out with a low-run or a short order window... and I’d like to avoid the stress I feel when I wake up in the U.S., see a release announcement and struggle through the haze of waking up (not a morning person) to coherently place an order before it sells out.
I feel exactly the same!

and where I’m located, the announcement usually hits about 4 a.m. 😴

I feel exactly the same!

and where I’m located, the announcement usually hits about 4 a.m. 😴
Even in the UK I often find out about it on QQ before my SDE email arrives!
.... and I am definitely not a morning person either

Yeah, it's the QQ equivalent of trying to get Taylor Swift tickets. I saw the Ten Years After announcement from SDE during a lunch break while skiing. I immediately went through all the gyrations including PayPal using my phone. Talk about trying to overcome senior citizen incompetence! Eventually, I got it to work and fortunately secured a copy under the wire...all the while with Mrs. Surround wondering what I was doing.

Back