The SDE Surround Sound Series (Updated list of titles with links in post #1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone. Paul here from SDE. I just wanted to drop in and say thanks for your enthusiasm for the SDE Surround Series and special thanks to @privateuniverse for setting up this sub-group.

I will do my best to contribute and answer questions, but please don't be offended if I'm not responding instantly. Also, do bear in mind that questions like "what's coming next?" aren't going to be ones I can really answer because as I hope you'll understand there's all sorts of delicate discussions that are ongoing and talking about something before it's officially agreed will more than likely jinx the whole thing!

However I'll make sure you are amongst the first to know when there is news!

Gilbert O'Sullivan's Driven blu-ray has half-shipped, but because he has/had Covid there has been a delay and we are still waiting on half the stock to turn up. This will mainly impact our international buyers, I think (apologies). This is a special message from Gilbert:

"Thank you for purchasing my new album.

Due to contracting Covid I’ve been unwell and have been unable to sign the album for you yet. As soon as I am better, at the first opportunity you will be receiving the signed copy from me and I hope you enjoy my new music.

Gilbert"

Anyway, thank you again for your passion for spatial audio and physical product!

Paul
Hi Paul, welcome to QQ. Great that you started this surround series. Customer service has been great too with Anne.

Hi everyone. Paul here from SDE. I just wanted to drop in and say thanks for your enthusiasm for the SDE Surround Series and special thanks to @privateuniverse for setting up this sub-group.

I will do my best to contribute and answer questions, but please don't be offended if I'm not responding instantly. Also, do bear in mind that questions like "what's coming next?" aren't going to be ones I can really answer because as I hope you'll understand there's all sorts of delicate discussions that are ongoing and talking about something before it's officially agreed will more than likely jinx the whole thing!

Gilbert O'Sullivan's Driven blu-ray has half-shipped, but because he has/had Covid there has been a delay and we are still waiting on half the stock to turn up. This will mainly impact our international buyers, I think (apologies). This is a special message from Gilbert:

Due to contracting Covid I’ve been unwell and have been unable to sign the album for you yet. As soon as I am better, at the first opportunity you will be receiving the signed copy from me and I hope you enjoy my new music.

Gilbert"

Anyway, thank you again for your passion for spatial audio and physical product!

Paul
A huge welcome Paul to the very friendly surround enthusiasts Web site.

One quick question :
What started you off enjoying 'Surround Music'?

Hi Paul, thanks so much for stopping by our forum. As you can see, there is a lot of enthusiasm here for the SDE Surround Sound series. The Tears For Fears blu-ray was a fantastic release. I can't thank you enough for making it happen. Greatly looking forward to receiving my copies of Gilbert & Shakespeare's Sister.

One regular topic of conversation on this forum is about how there are many completed surround sound mixes that have been sitting in record company vaults for more than a decade that remain unreleased. This happened around the turn of the century when the major labels lost interest in the format, so many titles that were prepared for release got shelved. Some of these titles include:

• Elton John - Blue Moves
  • Elton John - Caribou
  • Elton John - Don't Shoot Me
  • Elton John - Rock of the Westies
  • David Bowie - Low
  • David Bowie - Lodger
  • Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic
There are many others. (There are folks on this forum who can give you a more exhaustive list). Anyway, I just wanted to make you aware of their existence as any of these would certainly be a great addition to the series, and since the mixes are already completed, there wouldn't be any costs associated with having a new mix prepared.

Thanks again for launching this series. Many of us here, like you, prefer to be able to hold the music in our hands. Since the major labels seem more interested in streaming, it's great to have someone providing physical releases. Can't wait to find out what SDE #5 is going to be!

Gilbert"

Paul

One regular topic of conversation on this forum is about how there are many completed surround sound mixes that have been sitting in record company vaults for more than a decade that remain unreleased. This happened around the turn of the century when the major labels lost interest in the format, so many titles that were prepared for release got shelved.
In addition to these, I'd add the dozens (if not hundreds) of Dolby Atmos mixes commissioned by the major labels for streaming release only - there are Atmos releases from the likes of George Michael, Tom Petty, Elton John, Bob Marley, and others that deserve a physical release. So much potential for this series!

Hi Paul, thanks so much for stopping by our forum. As you can see, there is a lot of enthusiasm here for the SDE Surround Sound series. The Tears For Fears blu-ray was a fantastic release. I can't thank you enough for making it happen. Greatly looking forward to receiving my copies of Gilbert & Shakespeare's Sister.

One regular topic of conversation on this forum is about how there are many completed surround sound mixes that have been sitting in record company vaults for more than a decade that remain unreleased. This happened around the turn of the century when the major labels lost interest in the format, so many titles that were prepared for release got shelved. Some of these titles include:

• Elton John - Blue Moves
  • Elton John - Caribou
  • Elton John - Don't Shoot Me
  • Elton John - Rock of the Westies
  • David Bowie - Low
  • David Bowie - Lodger
  • Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic
There are many others. (There are folks on this forum who can give you a more exhaustive list). Anyway, I just wanted to make you aware of their existence as any of these would certainly be a great addition to the series, and since the mixes are already completed, there wouldn't be any costs associated with having a new mix prepared.

Thanks again for launching this series. Many of us here, like you, prefer to be able to hold the music in our hands. Since the major labels seem more interested in streaming, it's great to have someone providing physical releases. Can't wait to find out what SDE #5 is going to be!
Thanks! Yes, it's certainly frustrating when we know there are unreleased mixes just sitting on a shelf somewhere. As well as that, there are loads of previously released mixes that are 'locked' on out-of-print SACDs or DVD-As which cost a fortune to get hold of.

We'll see what in roads I can make in the next 12 months :)

Welcome Paul! Hope you enjoy your time here and we don't overburden you with questions we know you likely cannot answer.
=D

So thrilled with the Tears for Fears Blu-ray, many thanks for making this one a reality.

Thanks very much. That Tears For Fears album is perfect and Steven's mix was incredible. Such a pleasure to have been involved with that.

In addition to these, I'd add the dozens (if not hundreds) of Dolby Atmos mixes commissioned by the major labels for streaming release only - there are Atmos releases from the likes of George Michael, Tom Petty, Elton John, Bob Marley, and others that deserve a physical release. So much potential for this series!
This is true. Some mixes are better than others. I have an Apple TV set up on my Atmos system so I can listen to them....

A huge welcome Paul to the very friendly surround enthusiasts Web site.

One quick question :
What started you off enjoying 'Surround Music'?
Thank you! I guess I got into surround music via being fan of watching movies with an AV amp and a multi-speaker set-up.
I first got some 'DTS-CDs' (McCartney, Sting etc.) and later bought SACDs like Depeche Mode, Bob Dylan etc. I'm still regularly picking stuff up from eBay, especially old out-of-print DVD-As (recently got the Seal Best Of). I was interested in the 'blu-ray pure audio' mini-revival of 2014-16 but depressed when it died a bit of a death.

I have a reasonable collection of surround sound music, although I'm sure most members here would put me to shame!

Welcome to the forum, @PaulatSDE!
I'll admit I only bought "The Tipping Point" Blu-Ray so far from the SDE Blu-Ray Audio series.
However, it's one of my top 3 releases this year (along with "Closure/Continuation" from Porcupine Tree and "An Hour Before It's Dark" from Marillion)

So thanks for everything you've done to make these releases happen!

:)

Thanks very much. That Tears For Fears album is perfect and Steven's mix was incredible. Such a pleasure to have been involved with that.
Hi Paul, These SDE Series discs are a truly great idea. The TFF album is great. Maybe Martyn Ware's new ATMOS mix of Terence Trent D'Arby's "The Hardline According To" might be a good one to add to the growing wish list.

Welcome Paul to our small , niche community.. You will find many devoted fans here who will wholeheartedly support your efforts to keep the SDE Surround series going.. Well done on that (so far) and keep up the good work... ..and IF you're wondering who has been ordering all the way from Crete, Greece ..it's(probably)me! ..:)
Many thanks again.

Oh man, I'd love either one of those! Just listened to the Atmos mix of Fade Into You again last night and it's a damn near perfect mix on my system.

And for those who don't know Mazzy Star:

Where did you find the Atmos track?

I love Mazzy Star. Earlier this year I was on a Hope Sandoval kick. Added a number of her solo albums, Warm Invention as well as Mazzy Star to my Roon library from Qobuz. I find her breathy vocals very distinctive, hypnotizing, hauntingly beautiful as is she :)

If some of her & Mazzy Star albums were released on BD-A in Atmos or Auro3D, I'd buy them in a nanosecond.

I can't explain it but I'm drawn to her singing presence.

Every song on the album with Fade Into You on it is a winner, and hard to describe. I've seen the music described as psychedelic-folk-rock, trance-rock, dream-rock, mystic.

Try this song on album Until the Hunter, I tried to find a video of this on a live performance or music video but the only ones I saw had static photos or didn't have the best sound quality but this one is the studio recording from the album.

I love Mazzy Star. Earlier this year I was on a Hope Sandoval kick. Added a number of her solo albums, Warm Invention as well as Mazzy Star to my Roon library from Qobuz. I find her breathy vocals very distinctive, hypnotizing, hauntingly beautiful as is she :)

If some of her & Mazzy Star albums were released on BD-A in Atmos or Auro3D, I'd buy them in a nanosecond.

Every song on the album with Fade Into You on it is a winner, and hard to describe. I've seen the music described as psychedelic-folk-rock, trance-rock, dream-rock, mystic.

Try this song on album Until the Hunter, I tried to find a video of this on a live performance or music video but the only ones I saw had static photos or didn't have the best sound quality but this one is the studio recording from the album.

Thanks for the Hope track! I've got some of her non-Mazzy stuff but need to explore that some more.

Fade Into You is on Apple Music and Tidal (not sure about Amazon):

https://tidal.com/browse/album/190299561
I hope Fade wasn't a one off because like you said, the entire So Tonight That I Might See album is solid. Dustin Richardson did a superb job on Fade Into You and I need to seek out more of his mixes.

Nice, sounds like some bands I need to cozy up to for sure. Heck, I’d really like someone like Anna von Hausswolff also.

With the SDE BD releases already, it would appear this is wide open for a great number of possibilities.

Thanks to Paul, and very optimistic and excited to contemplate where he might take us next!

Hello @PaulatSDE . Congrats on all the good results so far with the surround series.
If I may ask a question, have you considered creating a shipping store within the EU? Import taxes are dreadful and I must think twice before placing an order.
Other small artists/label have done it (see Fish, for example) and it may boost sales up within the EU.
Thanks anyway for the format support!

Hi Paul, These SDE Series discs are a truly great idea. The TFF album is great. Maybe Martyn Ware's new ATMOS mix of Terence Trent D'Arby's "The Hardline According To" might be a good one to add to the growing wish list.
That woooooooooooould be awesome :LB BTW how is the mix - Snood no can listen to it

Gilbert"

Paul
Dude!!!!!!!
Welcome!!!!!
I read SDE every day, and love the fact you are keeping stand-alone physical surround releases alive!
Bless your music-obsessed little heart ❤️

Back