The SDE Surround Sound Series (Updated list of titles with links in post #1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my Tubular Bells today! Wonderful, simply wonderful :)

I think every single mix of that album ever has been included (correct?). :cool:
Yes, this just highlights what a great medium the BD disc has become for
those of us with interest in owning all the various multich releases on one disc.
If we should ever get to a point the sd BD is lacking in drive space, the 4k disc
is always available. :p

My copy of "The Hurting" shipped today. I'm in Canada and eagerly await its' arrival. I was lucky enough to get in on the first run of "The Tipping Point" and am extremely happy with that wonderful release.
Cheers and thanks to you Paul, Anne, and the crew at SDE for doing what you do for us physical media folks. It is appreciated.

Hey @PaulatSDE, any progress on a "reservation" system to combine multiple preorders into one shipment at a later date for us international folks?
I would like to offer this ability, but the reality is it's a 6-month IT project to alter two different systems that I will personally have to spec and manage. It's a bespoke bit of development not installing a plug-in. I'm not ruling it out because it would be cool, but the wider question is do you want me to do that or spend my time doing deals with record labels to bring you more of these products. Personally, I think £8 for packaging, fulfilment and tracked and insured postage to the US is quite cheap (!), so I'm a little bit surprised when people complain as if it's insanely expensive to send the blu-rays across the Atlantic.

I would like to offer this ability, but the reality is it's a 6-month IT project to alter two different systems that I will personally have to spec and manage. It's a bespoke bit of development not installing a plug-in. I'm not ruling it out because it would be cool, but the wider question is do you want me to do that or spend my time doing deals with record labels to bring you more of these products. Personally, I think £8 for packaging, fulfilment and tracked and insured postage to the US is quite cheap (!), so I'm a little bit surprised when people complain as if it's insanely expensive to send the blu-rays across the Atlantic.
While I was in the boat for a “subscription” model - given your time constraints, it’s an easy choice - more content please.

We've literally just shipped Tubular Bells!? The last thing I want to do right now is think any more about Tubular Bells... :)
So, would it be time to think about a re-release of xPropaganda? :)

Thank you very muych for your effort, @PaulatSDE
I also prefer you dedicate you effort to look for interesting deals. Your platform for ordering/shipping is working good enough for me.

Personally, I think £8 for packaging, fulfilment and tracked and insured postage to the US is quite cheap (!), so I'm a little bit surprised when people complain as if it's insanely expensive to send the blu-rays across the Atlantic.
Looking at shipping to Australia
1 disc is 10 pounds
2, 3 or 4 is 17 pounds
5 is 18 pounds
So i always try and combine orders to get at least 3 discs where possible
It's not just about cost, but about environmental responsibility and sustainability. I always try to place fewer larger orders when possible to both save money and the planet.

I know SDE is a small operation and that your time and capital are limited. I can appreciate the need to prioritize product over all else. I just hope that as the business grows—surely, it must be growing?—that some resources can be dedicated elsewhere, such as combined (pre)orders.

Just FYI - we always ship international orders as early as we can so that you get the item as close to release date as possible. However normally the earliest about a week earlier than release (the Friday before). The stock did indeed arrive on Friday but the whole 'goods in' process takes around a day, which is why shipping started today. I think if you are in America you are going to have to be lucky to get your goods in 5 working days, but really this is the best we can do. Certainly better than shipping on the 9th. In general, labels tend to not give 'new release' stock to retailers until the Tuesday before release, so as it is we're getting special treatment, to a degree. UK orders are likely to start shipping on Wednesday, possibly Tuesday. Bearing in mind there are almost 7,000 units to ship, so your patience is always appreciated. Cheers, Paul
These releases are well worth the wait Paul!!!!! The Hurting is a holy grail release. I loved the box set you helped cultivate a few years back and a surround mix was the only thing missing....well except for the new tracks and instrumental mix you are also now providing us!!!!! Stellar job and kudos for putting together releases from a viewpoint of "the fan".

It's not just about cost, but about environmental responsibility and sustainability. I always try to place fewer larger orders when possible to both save money and the planet.

I know SDE is a small operation and that your time and capital are limited. I can appreciate the need to prioritize product over all else. I just hope that as the business grows—surely, it must be growing?—that some resources can be dedicated elsewhere, such as combined (pre)orders.
Please point me in the direction of any online stores that allow you to combine pre-orders (e.g. multiple orders where you've already paid for the product and the shipping in advance) without any manual intervention. I.e. you login to your account and select multiple orders and combine them and then you get refunded any shipping and a new confirmation of your 'new' combined order. I'd be amazed if there are any, because that is an incredibly complex thing to do. Even Amazon don't have that facility as far as I'm aware.

These releases are well worth the wait Paul!!!!! The Hurting is a holy grail release. I loved the box set you helped cultivate a few years back and a surround mix was the only thing missing....well except for the new tracks and instrumental mix you are also now providing us!!!!! Stellar job and kudos for putting together releases from a viewpoint of "the fan".
Thank you!

Just FYI - we always ship international orders as early as we can so that you get the item as close to release date as possible. However normally the earliest about a week earlier than release (the Friday before). The stock did indeed arrive on Friday but the whole 'goods in' process takes around a day, which is why shipping started today. I think if you are in America you are going to have to be lucky to get your goods in 5 working days, but really this is the best we can do. Certainly better than shipping on the 9th. In general, labels tend to not give 'new release' stock to retailers until the Tuesday before release, so as it is we're getting special treatment, to a degree. UK orders are likely to start shipping on Wednesday, possibly Tuesday. Bearing in mind there are almost 7,000 units to ship, so your patience is always appreciated. Cheers, Paul
The process works! I’ve only had one hiccup in the last couple of years which was a USPS issue.

Essentially 'Elemental' and 'Raoul and the Kings of Spain' are Roland Orzabal solo projects, so it might open up old wounds :oops:

They continue to play "Break It Down Again" and sometimes even play "Falling Down" so I don't think that it's too much of a problem for Curt. Fingers crossed. 😎

I'd be surprised if Elemental didn't eventually come to pass, as Steven Wilson has mentioned being a huge fan of that album on a number of occasions - perhaps most notably in the liner notes to the recent In Absentia deluxe set, it comes up in the context of him getting to work with Paul Northfield on that album (who has engineering credits on Elemental as well as Gentle Giant's Free Hand & Interview - it's kind of a fun 'six degrees of Kevin Bacon'-like scenario).

Hey @PaulatSDE, thank you for this wonderful series of discs! The quality packaging, superb content, and attention to detail really make these a collector's dream. Even with overseas shipping, when one considers the total cost of these, they're quite reasonable compared to some of the $300 boxes with redundant content and sometimes mediocre surround mixes.

Sorry if this has already been answered but how did this one come about? Was UMe planning a Dolby Atmos mix or did the band want to circle back and tackle it or was it something you floated? I really hope more classics can be done like this. The Hurting was the first CD I bought in 1984 (a year before I even had a CD player) so I'm really looking forward to this release with the wizardry of Steven Wilson and those bonus Howlett mixes (always loved those early single recordings).

I think every single mix of that album ever has been included (correct?). I guess a completist might argue that the 2003 re-recording (stereo & 5.1 versions) could've been included. Oh well, I already own that one anyway :cool:
The 2003 re-recording was on a different label and I don't think it would've fit all that well anyway. However, what I'm missing is the 2009 stereo mix by Mike (only the 5.1 is included).

Please point me in the direction of any online stores that allow you to combine pre-orders (e.g. multiple orders where you've already paid for the product and the shipping in advance) without any manual intervention. I.e. you login to your account and select multiple orders and combine them and then you get refunded any shipping and a new confirmation of your 'new' combined order. I'd be amazed if there are any, because that is an incredibly complex thing to do. Even Amazon don't have that facility as far as I'm aware.
Manual intervention is probably required, but other retailers—such as Burning Shed—will do it on request, then refund the difference in postage once the final order is compiled and sent.

Back