The SugarCube all-in-one vinyl noise removal

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I said this is not a new idea it came out about 30 od years ago...

Yep, I remember that click and pop remover; but I think it was about 40+ years ago. Here's a click and pop remover that came out about 35+ years ago:

Still works like a charm!

Yep, I remember that click and pop remover; but I think it was about 40+ years ago. Here's a click and pop remover that came out about 35+ years ago:

View attachment 38606

Still works like a charm!

Yeah, ar, PERFECT SOUND FOREVER⁉ ......... 16/44.1 ..... should've squeezed a few more bits out of it before releasing it in PRIMETIME, IMO.

I had this Pink Floyd vinyl bootleg a long time ago that turned out to be a bootleg of a bootleg. What I mean is it was near mint vinyl that was a recording of crackly scratched damaged vinyl. There was even a repeating skip in the middle of Echoes that looped a dozen times before someone nudged the tonearm. Let's see how this box does with that!

I had this Pink Floyd vinyl bootleg a long time ago that turned out to be a bootleg of a bootleg. What I mean is it was near mint vinyl that was a recording of crackly scratched damaged vinyl. There was even a repeating skip in the middle of Echoes that looped a dozen times before someone nudged the tonearm. Let's see how this box does with that!

For $1999, knock yourself out, Jim. Still can't make a silk purse out of a 🐷's vagina!

A fun day today as this box arrived:

Given the subject of this thread you might guess what’s inside, this is the unboxing:

Yes, a Sweet Vinyl Sugar Cube SC-1 Noise Removal unit:

I’d had an SC-2 (with built in recording facility) on order for some time but gave up waiting for it to come out of Beta testing and went for this version at a discount instead. I’ll just have to make other arrangements for recording the processed audio.
I soon got it connected up and tried it out on some LPs afflicted with varying levels of noise:

This all important button:

Produces the reassuring message:

I have to say that the "Repair" is very impressive. Straight out of the box, with the default settings and not yet having run the cartridge / phono pre-amp calibration routines, the effect of the removal of ticks and pops is startling (as is listening just to the noise being removed!). Switching between processed/unprocessed/by-passed it seems to be completely transparent in use, although I will need a few more hours of really critical listening to confirm that, but it sounds really good so far!

One step nearer to archiving the entire quad LP collection in noise free digital form!

View attachment 39137

Given the subject of this thread you might guess what’s inside, this is the unboxing:

View attachment 39138

View attachment 39139

View attachment 39140

View attachment 39141

I’d had an SC-2 (with built in recording facility) on order for some time but gave up waiting for it to come out of Beta testing and went for this version at a discount instead. I’ll just have to make other arrangements for recording the processed audio.
I soon got it connected up and tried it out on some LPs afflicted with varying levels of noise:

View attachment 39143

View attachment 39144

View attachment 39145

I have to say that the "Repair" is very impressive. Straight out of the box, with the default settings and not yet having run the cartridge / phono pre-amp calibration routines, the effect of the removal of ticks and pops is startling (as is listening just to the noise being removed!). Switching between processed/unprocessed/by-passed it seems to be completely transparent in use, although I will need a few more hours of really critical listening to confirm that, but it sounds really good so far!

One step nearer to archiving the entire quad LP collection in noise free digital form!
Sounds like I need one or two of these; now if that Powerball ticket would just cooperate!:unsure:

View attachment 39137

View attachment 39138

View attachment 39139

View attachment 39140

View attachment 39141

View attachment 39143

View attachment 39144

View attachment 39145

I'm wondering if you could do two passes for the Quads (one for fronts & one for rears) and somehow match them up in Audition; or is my thinking wrong here?

I'm wondering if you could do two passes for the Quads (one for fronts & one for rears) and somehow match them up in Audition; or is my thinking wrong here?
Oh, that sounds awfully complicated (and in any case I don't want to bother with any software, which is why I got the SC-1 in the first place!) I shall just be de-clicking the quad encoded stereo and digitally recording that for subsequent real time decoding into four channels.

You would not only have the compromise of setting the sensitivity to either miss the lighter clicks or remove some of the content (because there's truly no 'one size fits all' sensitivity setting), but two passes would introduce the speed variations between passes. It would be a mountain of veri-speed sync work just to put the two passes together and then you'd have the compromised click removal to begin with. There'd also be the now multiple AD -> DA conversions through all that.

If this is going to a computer, just use something like iZotopeRX and remove the clicks with intention. Heck, even whatever click repair is available in something like Audition/Audacity would be better. You have the opportunity to use multiple sensitivity settings for different sections of the program as it comes up. Just a single AD conversion. Remove the clicks with intention and care. Even a budget audio interface like a Focusrite will have better AD converters than this box and will at least have balanced connections.

Use the real time box for a quick play of a damaged album.
If you're actually going to do some restoration, this thing would be cumbersome and probably show its cheapness at inopportune times.
It probably shines (at least somewhat) for quick playback of something damaged to the point that you would have skipped listening to it otherwise. (heh heh, skipped...)

Oh, that sounds awfully complicated (and in any case I don't want to bother with any software, which is why I got the SC-1 in the first place!) I shall just be de-clicking the quad encoded stereo and digitally recording that for subsequent real time decoding into four channels.

the click removal process has no detrimental effect on the LP's matrix encoding (i.e. the de-clicked encoded Quad should decode just the same as if it were still clicky)?

Hi. Soundfield

Great buy, I have been copying my Quad LP`s through a phono preamp to my computer and using ACOUSTICA 7 software to do the declicking it has presets which do a good job but I have found tweaking the presets half its intensity gives me the less of any artifacts which accoures if it over does things, but this is not done in real time of course it all takes time.

With this unit you have bought does it in real time takes all the hard work & time in doing the copying, and I have not had NO problems with Decliking with my softwares, and in decoding through my SM unit there definitely is NO degrading of the Quad decoding.

But my software also does denoising and you would only denoise after decoding when you have the 4 Quad files that's the only time you would denoise, if you denoise the Stereo file you will degrade the Quad decoding..

Tell us your findings when you put it through a more thorough test.
BBQ...…….…….7(y)

Last edited:
Back