The "Surround in Video Games" Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've been looking into this topic further and since discovered quite a few titles in some Surround form or another, on the Super Nintendo, N64, PS1, Sega Mega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast.. and so on.

here's a list of 400+ games across varying platforms in Dolby Surround;

https://www.mobygames.com/attributes/attribute/136/

I wasted a lot of time playing video games: so much that I swore them off to focus more on real life. The original Counterstrike half-life mod was pretty awesome though, we would have marathon sessions after work. The immersive surround was well done especially for the time. Every time I hear this Italian opera music it brings me back:

Unreal was good too: very immersive sound & the game engine is still used today, although it's been updated. Sometimes I'd just wander around the worlds exploring, taking in the details built into the various levels.

Then I got heavily into online racing simulators: 60's & 70's Formula One & then Sportscars. Surround sound is pretty essential for keeping track of cars around you, so it's always been part of the game package. A decent wheel & pedal setup is mandatory too.

Compared to arcade style racing games, it takes a lot of skill to set up your cars & learn the tracks. Which can be a disadvantage if you just want to jump in a car & race. Competing online was especially challenging as you're racing against real people who've spent hours tuning their car setups & learning racing lines.

Grand Prix Legends was a gamechanger when it came out, simulating the 1967 Formula One season. It's ancient but people are still playing it today, with graphics upgrades.

GT Legends came later: better graphics, weather, and great physics. I got into modding & building cars for that: it's popular in Europe where leagues are still running.

http://www.altbierbude.de/
Here's a few cars I made: I generally did replicas of real cars that actually existed, but I did have some fun with Jimi & his L88 Corvette. Although I found out later his was a blue hardtop.

View attachment 92138

View attachment 92139

View attachment 92140

That's a full Marshall stack in the passenger seat, based on photos of the actual amp he used at Monterey 1967.

This was based on the album cover for "hey little cobra" by The Rip Chords: which was a real car raced by Dan Gurney and Phil Hill, at Sebring 1963

View attachment 92141

View attachment 92142

The coolest thing is being able to drive around real historic racetracks that have long since been demolished or modified: Targa Florio (!!), Spa '67, Riverside, Rouen, LeMans '70, Monza, and many others. And there's still people building cars & tracks, downloadable to use for free.

Before watching races in real life I'd often do a few laps on the track, so you get a better understanding of what the drivers were dealing with. Makes a huge difference when you know the track. In fact after lapping Mid-Ohio in my real car, the instructor was so impressed he took me out for hotlaps in his C7 Grand Sport ( me as a passenger ) which was pretty gobsmacking. That was a fast car!!

New generations of games come with better graphics & more features, and are even more addictive. So I stay away from them :D I have too much crap I need to do IRL.

Aww man... I haven't really done sim racing in far too long... back when the GPL 1965 mod dropped was when I was really into it. Bombing around Clermont-Ferrand in the BRM P261? Good times...

DCS is the other sim category I'd love to put time and effort into... but there's just so much work, and life... so little energy left for hobbies.

Back to the immersive surround aspect: another one of the more memorable & fun 70's driving sims was a game called "Rally Trophy". It had a great soundtrack, with lots of Hammond B3; sound effects like birds, spectators etc as it was set in the Scandinavian countryside. It really gave you the sense of being there.

I think moose even wandered across the track sometimes? And the car unlock code was "kaljakoppa" which means "pint of beer" or something, in Finnish? :D

Ah, here's a recent review etc

Not a film, but...

I've been pleasantly unsurprised by the quality of the surround mixing on Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Yeah, it's mostly a not-that-great kids' show—especially at the beginning—but as expected for a Lucasfilm production, the sound design and mixing are top notch. It's just as immersive as any of the surround mixes for the Star Wars films. This kind of audio quality is rare to find in television outside of recent "prestige" content. If you're a Star Wars fan like me who never watched The Clone Wars, and you have Disney+, give it a try if only for the auditory experience.

Not a film, but...

I've been pleasantly unsurprised by the quality of the surround mixing on Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Yeah, it's mostly a not-that-great kids' show—especially at the beginning—but as expected for a Lucasfilm production, the sound design and mixing are top notch. It's just as immersive as any of the surround mixes for the Star Wars films. This kind of audio quality is rare to find in television outside of recent "prestige" content. If you're a Star Wars fan like me who never watched The Clone Wars, and you have Disney+, give it a try if only for the auditory experience.
Why has this been moved to a video game thread? The Clone Wars is a television show.

I just saw this thread. I'm recently retired and brand new to gaming. I only own a few titles so far and I'm trying to build a surround set up around my pc for music and games. The very first post includes a link to a list of games in surround but it stops halfway through the alphabet. Is there a way to see the whole list?

Thanks for starting this thread.

I just saw this thread. I'm recently retired and brand new to gaming. I only own a few titles so far and I'm trying to build a surround set up around my pc for music and games. The very first post includes a link to a list of games in surround but it stops halfway through the alphabet. Is there a way to see the whole list?

Thanks for starting this thread.
1700328664723.png

At the bottom of the page there's this!
EDIT: Ah bugger, I think because of the recent vandalism, you may need an account to see the whole list. However you can always just search up individual games on this database just fine without an account. Most games since the 2000s have surround anyway.

View attachment 98456
At the bottom of the page there's this!
EDIT: Ah bugger, I think because of the recent vandalism, you may need an account to see the whole list. However you can always just search up individual games on this database just fine without an account. Most games since the 2000s have surround anyway.
Thanks! I just started playing Firewatch and had no idea it was also in surround. Too bad Eastshade isn't, it's my favorite so far.

Killing time in the airport (headed back home for the holidays) and I just realized I hadn’t mentioned this in this thread yet:

If you have a PS5 or Xbox… get Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora. You would think a movie tie in game (one that was delayed a full year after the movie came out) would be a cheap cash grab but I’m having a really solid time with it… and a very larger part of why is the sound.

On PS5 it takes full advantage of “The Tempest Engine”, an extra CPU dedicated entirely to object based audio rendering. Until earlier this year, games using Tempest were limited to headphone and TV speaker interpolations… but now it outputs in Atmos. I do not have an Xbox but my understanding is Microsoft paid a premium for the full Atmos license.

On both machines it takes full advantage of the format. For those of you with Avatar blu rays, hop to Chapter 7, when the helicopter lands and for a brief moment every speaker comes alive with the sounds of flora and fauna of the alien planet Pandora. The game takes this moment and cranks it to 11. The soundscape of this game is immense. Birds and insects sweep around in the heights, the sounds of animals plodding through the forest fills the bed channels. The music in the game is sparse, only kicking in at key moments, leaving you surrounded with the pure SOUND of the planet.

Much has been talked about the impressive graphics (which are equally impressive) but in a brief interview about them the developers mentioned that they took the principles of Ray Tracing, the latest graphical improvement for games, and applied it to audio as well. Not much was said in that interview, beyond the fact that they want to talk about it more, but whatever they did works really really well

i'm slowly starting to find the will to go through things in the family home since my incredible Supermum sadly passed away in January and found a few old games up in the attic i thought might be fun to post up here, including some Turbografx-16 & PC Engine HuCards and Japanese Sega Mega-CD titles 🤩

i've no idea if anything's Surround-y among them, although i remember certain PCE/TG16 games making a big deal of being (((Stereo))) at the time, there's some gems here might stir up the odd kilobyte or two of memories among our group 😍

IMG_5177.jpeg

from top L to R; The Legendary Axe, Ordyne, Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu, Vigilante (TG-16), Pac-Land, Alien Crush, Ninja Spirit, Final Lap Twin, Bonk's Revenge, R-Type, The Kung Fu (aka China Warrior/Drunken Master), Galaga '90, Bonk's Adventure, Wonder Momo, Operation Wolf, Dragon Saber, Tatsunoko Fighter, Parasol Stars : Bubble Bobble 3, Vigilante (PCE), Chan & Chan, Blazing Lazers, Thunder Storm FX, Earnest Evans, Heavy Nova, Final Fight CD, Sol Feace, Prince Of Persia.

"Genesis does what Nintendon't".. 😂 🤷🏻‍♀️

some Sega Genesis and Japanese and PAL UK MegaDrive titles i had stashed away. i haven't come across any Super Nintendo or Nintendo 64 games yet but will post back here when i do 😅

IMG_5175.jpeg

from top L to R;

PGA Tour Golf, Batman (SUNSOFT; 1989 Movie), Menacer light gun multipack, Golden Axe, Alien Storm, Streets Of Rage II, World Class Leaderboard Golf, Quackshot Starring Donald Duck, Gaiares, Shining In The Darkness, Thunder Force IV, McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure, Devil's Crush, Tiny Toon Adventures : Buster's Hidden Treasure, Sonic The Hedgehog, The Super Shinobi, Castle Of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, Speedball 2, Joe Montana II Sports Talk Football, Elemental Master, Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf, Rolling Thunder 2, World Of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck, Thunder Force III, ESWAT, Super Monaco GP, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, The Ren & Stimpy Show Presents Stimpy's Invention..

some loose carts i kept with my Sega Nomad handheld (which seems to have grown legs as they've become separated! 😳😂 ) NHL '95, Road Rash 3, Rock 'n Roll Racing, RoadBlasters, NBA Live 95, World Series Baseball 95, Zombies Ate My Neighbors!, Tecmo Superbowl, College Football USA 96, Dune, College Football USA 97, NBA Live 96, Micro Machines, Theme Park

Last edited:
Back