The Tragically Hip - Fully Completely (box set with Dolby Atmos) Oct.07.2022

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know any codes for Universal Music that offer better than 10% off? Would love a 15% or 20% just to make this slightly more affordable...my budget is in tatters right now but I so love this album.
Got this email today from uDiscover UK, 25% off.

Are we expecting a CD/Blu-ray version of the box set as was the case with Road Apples? Or vinyl/Blu-ray only?

Last edited:
Unfortunately the 25 didn’t work on the Canada site but I’ll order from The Hip

And yeah, sucks to have to order vinyl when all I want is the BD but perhaps I’ll sell mine sans the BD with records unplayed.

Atmos mix is available to stream. Not too bad, sounds quite nice. The high hats in the heights work quite well... Mix by Mark Vreeken.
Tidal - https://tidal.com/browse/album/251984356
Funny thing: Mark Vreeken was one of my best friends through high school and I still love seeing his name credited to these things. He's definitely the most successful guy to come out of our high school in those years.

I definitely enjoy this surround mix and after listening to about 2 mins each of Pigeon Camera, Wheat Kings and Trunk, I look forward to having some time to crank it from start to finish. Really nice wide soundstage, vocals nicely centred, perhaps not a lot of discrete rear material but the expansiveness is good - excellent fidelity and a nice dynamic mastering with loads of headroom. The vocals are in the fronts and rears, but so much lower than the centre that it almost sounds discretely placed in the centre channel.

@Genious if you're chatting please pass on my compliments on the Atmos/surround mixes, if he's tagged to do the next few if we're lucky enough to get more please encourage him to be even more adventurous with the surround channels.

Biggest thing that would dock points from a score for this from me would be the configuration - vinyl plus Blu-ray? I love my vinyl, but I don't want to be forced to buy it when my main interest is a surround disc. Yes I'm excited when I see something like Intervention Records doing The Church's Starfish, but for this with such a great mix I would much rather pay for a 2CD+BD set reasonably priced, than a 3LP+BD set.

Really nice wide soundstage, vocals nicely centred, perhaps not a lot of discrete rear material but the expansiveness is good - excellent fidelity and a nice dynamic mastering with loads of headroom. The vocals are in the fronts and rears, but so much lower than the centre that it almost sounds discretely placed in the centre channel.
Agreed, I think it's definitely more adventurous than Road Apples. There's a fun bit in the title track with the reversed cymbal(?) moving around the height speakers.

@Genious if you're chatting please pass on my compliments on the Atmos/surround mixes, if he's tagged to do the next few if we're lucky enough to get more please encourage him to be even more adventurous with the surround channels.

Sadly we're not as in touch as I guess I should be - he moved out to LA to work on the Leno show and Conan, as well as coming back to do work for the Hip anytime they were doing something. Although we have a mutual friend, also from Kingston (Hugh Dillon from another Kingston band, Headstones) who not only stayed in touch with him but actually stayed with him when he was filming movies in LA back years ago.
And oin a somewhat related note, I almost had the Road Apples BluRay for $50.00 because someone had it up on ebay and I forgot about it, so forgot to bid on it. I have an aversion to buying a whole giant set of stuff just to get the one thing I want - so the auction for JUST the bluray was perfect. And it was also located a 10 minute walk from where I live in Toronto. I doubt I'll be seeing another one listed anytime soon. I think I'm going to be forced into finally just getting apple music to finally get to hear it, as well as Fully Completely. And INXS's Kick. And SOundgarden's BadMotorFinger. I just can't afford 2 to 3 hundred dollars for surround discs.

Back