The Tragically Hip "Road Apples" (Box set with Atmos mixes on Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I think Richard Chycki is getting an undeserved "bad rap" !

I don't have any problems with his 5.1 mixes of Rush (apart from Signals).
I have 2112 in Bluray/DVD-A , Moving Pictures in Bluray/DVDA , Fly By Night in DVD-A , and A Farewell To Kings in Bluray .

I even have his DVD-A mix of Tom Cochrane - Trapese , and find it quite encompassing. Demo quality imho.

:unsure:
There are obvious issues on 2112 and AFtK. Not to mention his abysmal Hemispheres. Skepticism of his work is well warranted.

LOL, I have the Tom Cochrane
Need to have another listen it’s been awhile

Is it this DVD-A ? Or The DTS DVD ?

20210918_200049.jpg
20210918_200026.jpg

That one, the DVD-A.
The one where it claims to include the music in 2.0 hirez but doesn’t, it’s 5.1 only

Oh I'm sorry to hear that. I had no idea you bought it for the stereo on the DVD-A.

Me ? I'm weird . I bought mine solely for the Surround .

I guess you could say , I never listen to stereo. Well , pretty much almost .

If you don't mind me asking ..................What specifically is wrong with his mixes on 2112 and Kings ? (Hemispheres I don't have).

:unsure:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...oint-one-dvd-a-bluray-audio.17018/post-546545
Go read my review there to find out why 2112 is one of the worst MC mixes i've ever heard.

Chycki is 100% deserving of all the flak because he is just not really that good. Go listen to Triumph's Greatest Hits Remixed to hear him butcher 2.0 as well. Way worse than the original.

I'm not a huge Rush fan to begin with , so there's that.

And I did mention..... that to me , Signals was very much lacking when it could have been a hell of a lot better in Surround mixing . Most especially in the usage of the rears. And that album is to me , is one of the best Rush has created for the fan .
Geddy Lee's electronic wizardry is outstanding .

I suppose I'd be disappointed if like you said , (2112* ) Rush is your 2nd favourite Band and you expected more from this particular album*.

Me, I'm just happy someone in Universal/Mercury decided to release so many of Rush's material .
That the Band used and Continued to use Mr. Chycki for almost every one of their surround remixes kinda justifies that they were satisfied with his work .
Remember they have to sign off on his completed projects for Rush . And so they did.

Personally I'd like to see a remix of Signals , much the same way Steven Wilson did a remix for A Farewell To Kings.

Perhaps part of the problem with 2112 could be the use of alternate tracks , or to put it another way , some multis are missing ?

From some 30+ years ago ...I can tell you that "WTF did they do !!" experience happened to me , when I heard Jethro Tull's 1974 Quad mix of Aqualung. There were Different guitar riffs , very much inferior to the original , of which I was quite familiar with .
And sure enough missing tracks were the cause , and later disclosed by Ian when he finally located them in the late 80's . And now you can compare the quad and 5.1 mixes .
The Same thing happened to the quad mix of Santana Abraxis , only in this case they may have just used tracks that were deliberately different. But I noticed , as did others .

Also , I have to note that the average score on the votes for 2112 , are at "Seven" , that's certainly not a Silverline type of mix vote ! Even with all the faults you and others have mentioned.

Now in summation , we bought these recordings for their surround mixes , and in my case , as I'm sure in yours , we'll end up keeping em .

And I did mention..... that to me , Signals was very much lacking when it could have been a hell of a lot better in Surround mixing . Most especially in the usage of the rears. And that album is to me , is one of the best Rush has created for the fan .
Geddy Lee's electronic wizardry is outstanding .

Personally I'd like to see a remix of Signals , much the same way Steven Wilson did a remix for A Farewell To Kings.
I haven't heard Signals because I got burned by 2112 so bad and don't want to waste any more money on Chycki mixes. And yep, that would be amazing as would Power Windows as well. Those two albums are tour de forces for the synth years. You could really do a lot of fun things.

I suppose I'd be disappointed if like you said , (2112* ) Rush is your 2nd favourite Band and you expected more from this particular album*.
The favoritism doesn't really matter to me, I just want a quality mix that is a joy to listen to. I had never heard of Ultravox before their Vienna album got mixed in 5.1 and that is still my favorite MC mix to this day. I don't really care for a lot of their music but if SW got to mix any more of their catalog in surround, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Me, I'm just happy someone in Universal/Mercury decided to release so many of Rush's material .
That the Band used and Continued to use Mr. Chycki for almost every one of their surround remixes kinda justifies that they were satisfied with his work .
Remember they have to sign off on his completed projects for Rush . And so they did.
No offense to the band members or their management, but most of them have no clue about the engineering and mixing side of their careers. For some reason they trust this man, and people have to come out to tell them that they shouldn't. If they want to continue with him, then so be it I guess. It seems Chycki is thankfully limited to Canadian bands for the most part.

Perhaps part of the problem with 2112 could be the use of alternate tracks , or to put it another way , some multis are missing
Nope, its just a bad mix. And if multi's are missing, then don't attempt and advertise a completed surround mix. That's even more maddening than a bad mix.

Also , I have to note that the average score on the votes for 2112 , are at "Seven" , that's certainly not a Silverline type of mix vote ! Even with all the faults you and others have mentioned.

Honestly, for QQ, an average of 7 is not good at all. There's one '10' vote out of 52. That's tragic for this site. Hell, I still gave it a 5 and I hate that mix with a passion. If I didn't know what I know, I would probably think this was a decent mix. Once you realize that theres a whole stereo mix in the center channel and surrounds with a couple of volume/panning automations happening to create "discrete" elements, then you get sick to your stomach and feel like the rug just got pulled from beneath your feet and you got cheated out of your hard earned money.

Now in summation , we bought these recordings for their surround mixes , and in my case , as I'm sure in yours , we'll end up keeping em .
You're not wrong there, only because there's a quality Hi-rez stereo mix on that disc. The surround will never be touched again unless i'm showing someone the difference between a good a bad mix.

To stay on topic, I finally listened to this for the first time and cannot find a way that this album will benefit from an Atmos mix. It's pretty barebones.

To stay on topic, I finally listened to this for the first time and cannot find a way that this album will benefit from an Atmos mix. It's pretty barebones.

I can tell you Road Apples won't be listened to (in Atmos) by myself and many others* as well .
...All here on QQ*.
I myself refused to pay for those extra $peakers ! What ? Just to listen in surround... which is readily achievable with our many 5.1 systems.

But those with Atmos , well good for them. I'll stick with 5.0 , thankyou .

I ordered it. I am hoping for the best but I'm naturally cynical. I never expected The Hip to get the surround treatment.
I made quad versions of their EP and Up To Here and I was going to tackle Road Apples next. Now I don't have to.

For those that have Apple Music and the ATV 4K, the album with the Dolby Atmos mix is there (at least in Canada). I haven't had a chance to listen to it, but it appeared in my feed.

It’s also available on U.S. Apple Music in ATMOS (at least the non-bonus material). This Canadian expat thanks you for your post.

https://music.apple.com/us/album/road-apples-deluxe/1585698841
Sounds pretty good on my AirPods Pro in spatial so far.

Back