The Very Best Of Enya DVD DTS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
The CD/DVD combo says it has DD & DTS 5.1..
Anyone have this and can confirm that they are not upmixes?
It'd be AWESOME to have this!!

From the Warner product description;

CD/DVD package will be a hardback deluxe slipcase with book featuring Enya art and images. The Very Best Of Enya CD/DVD package features the most comprehensive Enya DVD to date, encompassing thirteen videos as well as interview and behind the scenes footage. It also includes two making of' mini-documentaries examining the creation of the Caribbean Blue and Only Time videos. The DVD will contain audio up mixed to 5.1 surround sound. Twenty-two years have passed since the original release of Enya's self-titled debut album. During that time, Enya has become one of the world's most successful musicians with over 70 million album sales worldwide to her name and an array of authoritative honours including four Grammy Awards and three World Music Awards. The Very Best Of Enya brings together for the first time so much of the earth-spanning music created alongside her close friends and partners in music, Nicky and Roma Ryan. Warner. 2009.

Not to say that the upmix isn't stunning. Will have to check for oneself.

My question is: true surround or upmix? If the latter, kinda weird, given that the lady must have (all? most?) of her multis kicking about somewhere, and the potential for great surround is there. Of course we hear some great upmixes made by guys at home, so naturally it might turn out great. Anyone wanna verify the quality before I plunk the bucks down? ;)

ED :)

My question is: true surround or upmix? If the latter, kinda weird, given that the lady must have (all? most?) of her multis kicking about somewhere, and the potential for great surround is there. Of course we hear some great upmixes made by guys at home, so naturally it might turn out great. Anyone wanna verify the quality before I plunk the bucks down? ;)

ED :)

The poster on SH, who I think is a member here as well, is a surround fan and knows his stuff. I'd say it's a discrete mix. But I'll let you buy it first. :)

OK - picked it up today. Not discrete as far as I can tell. It appears that the vocals and keys are presented in the rears along with the tons of reverb that is already inherent in the recordings. Besides the occasional tympani, there really isn't much more instrumentation other than heavily processed vocals and synths anyway. Unless someone wanted to do a completely radical remix of the originals ( I do not associate Enya and radical), I'm not sure that a discrete mix would make much of a difference. Just for kicks, I extracted the DTS stream via DVD Audio Extractor and converted to multichannel wave. The file below shows the multichannel waveform (via Wavosaur) of "Carribean Blue" for your interpretation.

All in all though, it still sounds quite lovely - very etheral and gauzy. Nice packaging and video PQ upconverts nicely to 1080P via my Blu Ray player. If you're a fan of Enya, you won't be dissapointed.

Enya.jpg

:(

Sounds like one could use a receiver's hall DSP setting or DPLII to do the same thing with the plain ol' CD version.

Just got this from Amazon new -- under $10 with shipping.

1. It is the real thing. True 5.1.
2. The mix is, IMO, very good indeed.
3. Is is "discrete"?

If you mean five independent channels, then yes.
Is every instrument given a unique channel? No.

This is a very immersive mix that makes excellent use of appropriate front/rear delays. I normally don't like vocals X 4, but it works here because of the music's omniscience. I'm not exactly a screaming Enya fan but I've heard almost every track on the DVD many times emanating from speakers out in the world, enough to say these mixes sound very faithful to the original stereo.

If you have any interest in ambient new-age in true surround, this is a must-own.

4. Is it any better than the stereo through DPLII?

Haven't A-B'd, but I'll say confidently -- yes.

It is rather amazing to hear some of this material in surround.
She is beautiful to watch, the tracks are spacey and pleasant and the songs are good.
While not a discrete mix, I'd say it's a good effort, one to say I'm happy to have.

Hello. I finally played this last night, and whilst the music was great, the 5.1 mix was disappointing. Not descrete at all, but that was expected after reading the comments here. The vox x 4 channels is just fine. Not a must have, but OK nonetheless. Thanks.

I bought this disc for the DTS mix. It is definitely NOT mastered discrete, a poor upmix at best. There is no ambience at all. A shame since the quality of the music was quite high for its time. In fact, center speaker is a mixture of all the channels-- there was no attempt to isolate anything as far as I can tell.

I bought this disc for the DTS mix. It is definitely NOT mastered discrete, a poor upmix at best. There is no ambience at all. A shame since the quality of the music was quite high for its time. In fact, center speaker is a mixture of all the channels-- there was no attempt to isolate anything as far as I can tell.

Haven't heard this at all, but I can tell you that Enya actually upmixes very well when you have the right person and method working with the stereo. The music doesn't lend itself to perfect isolation, but there's enough width and space in the soundfield on her albums to come up with something rather nice and immersive. This simply sounds like someone putting together a lazy mix and charging money for it.

Bumping, due to recent discussion of the title. I can't remember how discrete I found it to be, but I didn't unload it!

ironic you posted this. I just acquired this and it is exactly like elmer's graph shows, Strong fronts, faux 4.0 with a supdued center vocal, BUT her vocals are SO strong (let's admit, that's why we buy her craft) that it balances out, and works well.

Surround mixing 101: Enhance the weak channels, subdue the strong. It's the lazy way out (I personally would do it almost every note but I could see how that could get fatiguing so maybe the lazy man's route is actually better??)

index.php

I read the orig engineer who mixed this was unhappy with that orig release and wanted it in surround (a true QQ'er)

Very ethereal, which is what I think the engineer (and probably Enya herself secretely wanted [Ican only hope]).

The DTS is def a bit fuller than the DD

Overall, very enjoyable from one of my favorite artists (as a young man, and now old)

Last edited:
Back