The .w64 file format

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Is there any reason that the .w64 "wave" file format would be a problem - fidelity-wise? I have started using Sound Forge to create 24/96 4.0 wav files, but they exceed the 2Gb file size limit of a plain old .wav file.

:confused:

From the Nuendo 2 help files

Wave64 files

Wave64 is a proprietary format developed by Sonic Foundry Inc. In terms of audio quality, Wave64 files are identical to standard wave files, but there is one major difference:

In the file headers, Wave64 files use 64-bit values for addressing where wave files use 32-bit values. The consequence of this is that wave64 files can be considerably larger than standard wave files. Wave64 is therefore a good file format choice for really long recordings (file sizes over 2GB), e.g. live surround recordings.
Wave64 files have the same options as regular wave files (see Wave files) and have the extension ".w64".

If the option "Show Broadcast Options for WAV64 Export" is activated in the Preferences (Record-Broadcast Wave page) a dialog will appear when you click Save to export the file.
This allows you to enter information (date and time, description strings etc.) to be embedded in the file. Note that you can enter default text strings for author, description and reference on the same Preferences page - these will automatically appear in the Broadcast Options dialog when it appears.

Thanks Bob. That's what I thought, but wanted to be sure. I have so much stuff that I want to do, it's all been sitting on hard drives here and there. I need to get off my ass and do something. I just don't want to compromise on something along the way.

Have you tried working on a 4.0 or 5.1 wav file, with regards to clean up? For editing, it seems to be a real time saver, but I'm not sure that universal clean up across all of the channels at once is a good idea.

Have you tried working on a 4.0 or 5.1 wav file, with regards to clean up? For editing, it seems to be a real time saver, but I'm not sure that universal clean up across all of the channels at once is a good idea.

Me neither.
A Multichannel Interleave as a WAV64 file is a great way to go. Plus it keeps everything all in one place for storage.
When it comes to doing something with a WAV64 Interleave, when we use Nuendo we can split the channels on importing the file so we only work on one channel at a time.

Back