The Who Sell Out - Is a box set in the works?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Officially announced today. Sadly no surround. 😥

Here's the full write-up from SDE.
Not even any Hi Res, just a lot of shit that I'll listen to once.
It's Who's Next or nothing for me. Time for me to take a break on ordering.
Seems expensive box sets are being throw at us with no real quality.
I'll stick to Live At Leeds for these songs.

All Tracks Remixed From Original 4 And 8-Track Session Tapes In The Who Vault.

Ok so if the tapes were there for surround then it only should make sense a call to Steven Wilson was in order. Or someone else worth their resume should have gotten the gig. That is unless they did give it a try and the album conceived as a radio play just does not want to work in 5.1.

Am I the only one irk'd at no surround.

Ok so if the tapes were there for surround then it only should make sense a call to Steven Wilson was in order. Or someone else worth their resume should have gotten the gig. That is unless they did give it a try and the album conceived as a radio play just does not want to work in 5.1.

Nope, I reckon it is a Sell Out ...... :(

Yea I have the vinyl album the expanded CD and the later double CD.
So I like the music and the quality bonus tracks.
While I think many of Pete's demos are a good listen I question whether Im going to listen to early run throughs and studio chatter more than once.
They could have done a good surround mix with the radio jingles being fun to circle through the speakers and further define the separate instruments if the tapes allowed that.
So its a hard pass for me now.

Pete Townsend has experienced hearing loss as a result of his career with the iconic rock band, The Who. Pete says, “I have severe hearing damage. It’s manifested itself as tinnitus, ringing in the ears at frequencies that I play guitar."

Might help explain why Townsend has NO interest in surround remixes.

THANKFULLY, WE HAVE TOMMY & QUADROPHENIA in 5.1 BUT LIKE MARPOW SUGGESTS, WHO'S NEXT IN SURROUND WOULD SELL BOATLOADS THAT'S IF THE MULTI TRACKS STILL EXIST!

I’m irked. I need to hold onto my money for that bloated box set that INCLUDES a 5.1 mix and are not offering a stand alone 5.1 mix. I don’t know what it is or who it’s by, but there will be that inevitable bloated box coming out with a marble or two that I want.

Oh I can feel it coming, Tattoo You or Animals, or Magical Mystery Tour will set me up for surround. Maybe Who By Numbers is being considered?

No really, I think the album Sell Out might not work in surround but there are other things to spend money on.

I don't get this - I love it and already have three different versions of it - original CD, the 1995 remixed version with expanded songs and commercials, and then the Deluxe version which was two CD's and had still more songs versions and commercials. Now it is expanded to 5 CD's but no surround sound? I would buy it yet again if they included a surround mix. They keep going back to this one - but Who's Next/Lifehouse is the obvious next box set with a surround mix. Or, a new version of Happy Jack/Quick One with everything remixed to stereo might even be worthwhile.
cleardot.gif

Pete Townsend has experienced hearing loss as a result of his career with the iconic rock band, The Who. Pete says, “I have severe hearing damage. It’s manifested itself as tinnitus, ringing in the ears at frequencies that I play guitar."

THANKFULLY, WE HAVE TOMMY & QUADROPHENIA in 5.1 BUT LIKE MARPOW SUGGESTS, WHO'S NEXT IN SURROUND WOULD SELL BOATLOADS THAT'S IF THE MULTI TRACKS STILL EXIST!
By the way, I suffer from tinnitus too. We're all getting older, so some of you may have it too, and it messes up music. I found that taking a couple of Lipoflavinoid tablets before I listen to my music helps tremendously. Of course, the whiskey doesn't hurt either.

So before the Sell Out box is even released, they're announcing another reissue, again with no surround content. Face Dances is being reissued as a double LP for Record Store Day. It'll have six previously unreleased tracks. Four live tracks recorded in 1981 for the Rockpalast TV show and two studio outtakes; "Don't Let Go the Coat" with Pete on lead vocals and "Dance it Away." Pete released a solo version of the latter track as a b-side in 1982.

Will we ever get another 5.1 mix from The Who????

My hearing loss and tinnitus are among the main reasons I’m interested in surround. I no longer hear in such detail that I can tell an audiophile recording from a standard issue or distinguish between different mastering in most cases, but I can still hear different elements coming from around the room.

perhaps Townsend’s hearing loss is more profound than mine (probably is as I wouldn’t call mine “severe”). But still. I’m not sure hearing loss is a reason to not care about surround

Why would tinnitus have any impact on Townsend’s supposed lack of enthusiasm for surround mixes?

I decided not to purchase this box set, but i did purchase the main album only from HDTracks as a 24/96 stereo download, My only copy so not worried about sound quality, the FLAC will be good enough with DR's of 9's, 10's, 11's. This FLAC is from a previous FLAC release, not the 2021 Super Deluxe.

Got my box yesterday in great shape (double boxed) and it’s impressive when you hold it/ look at it. I’m a big Who fan so I splurged but $122 with tax is a bit heavy on the wallet. I’ll give it a spin later today. It has always been a favorite of mine.

I decided not to purchase this box set, but i did purchase the main album only from HDTracks as a 24/96 stereo download, My only copy so not worried about sound quality, the FLAC will be good enough with DR's of 9's, 10's, 11's. This FLAC is from a previous FLAC release, not the 2021 Super Deluxe.
The 2021 96/24 kHz deluxe set is compressed more than I prefer.

So there was one of those Classic Albums specials for this album. As is common in these specials, you see members of the band playing isolated elements from the multi-tracks. Another sad reminder that they didn't bother to do a surround mix.

:mad:
I saw that one as well o Sky and :(

Back