They Seem Like Owls, debut album Strangers CD/DTS DVD-V with Bruce Soord 5.1 mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First of all, the sales response since this thread has been amazing! Thank you all!

Yeah... I know the postage is a little steep for international buyers. We aren't signed, nor do we have a distributor. So I'm personally shipping everything myself from Chicago, IL, US.

The choice to do a 5.1 mix was partially influenced by me trying to push physical sales because Shawn's artwork is so awesome. And there's just something nostalgic to me about having a physical album, I just wanted that to be worthwhile.

As far as I can tell, bandcamp doesn't explicitly offer a way to distribute 5.1 files. It seems musicians can only indicate it is available upon request? Bandcamp bonus content downloads are restricted to 300MB I believe, so I can't offer it there. Please correct me if I'm wrong... or maybe someone can offer a solution?

But let's make a deal :)

I'll happily refund any shipping costs if you'd rather just have downloads only (i.e., I won't ship the physical CD/DVD). I'll be able to provide 5.1 FLAC or a DVD-V iso, or both if you like. I absolutely won't be offended either, so don't hesitate if that's what you want.

For anyone who hasn't purchased because of the shipping, if you buy the the digital download only but pay $10US instead of the $7US, and indicate with a message you'd like the 5.1, I'll provide you with the 5.1 via download link in an email.

Please let me know if anyone has any other questions. Thanks again everyone!

First of all, the sales response since this thread has been amazing! Thank you all!

Yeah... I know the postage is a little steep for international buyers. We aren't signed, nor do we have a distributor. So I'm personally shipping everything myself from Chicago, IL, US.

The choice to do a 5.1 mix was partially influenced by me trying to push physical sales because Shawn's artwork is so awesome. And there's just something nostalgic to me about having a physical album, I just wanted that to be worthwhile.

As far as I can tell, bandcamp doesn't explicitly offer a way to distribute 5.1 files. It seems musicians can only indicate it is available upon request? Bandcamp bonus content downloads are restricted to 300MB I believe, so I can't offer it there. Please correct me if I'm wrong... or maybe someone can offer a solution?

I'll happily refund any shipping costs if you'd rather just have downloads only (i.e., I won't ship the physical CD/DVD). I'll be able to provide 5.1 FLAC or a DVD-V iso, or both if you like. I absolutely won't be offended either, so don't hesitate if that's what you want.

For anyone who hasn't purchased because of the shipping, if you buy the the digital download only but pay $10US instead of the $7US, and indicate with a message you'd like the 5.1, I'll provide you with the 5.1 via download link in an email.

This is a great offer!
Thank you very much!
I'm in! :)

Could you put the 5.1 FLACs as computer accessible files on the DVD as well?

GREAT. I will order this now. Thanks.

Hey guys! Bruce just sent me the final DVD image / mix. I'll be testing it one last time tonight, if all is well I'll let everyone know via the email they used at BandCamp how to download the 5.1 flac and/or DVD-D ISO.

Hey guys! Bruce just sent me the final DVD image / mix. I'll be testing it one last time tonight, if all is well I'll let everyone know via the email they used at BandCamp how to download the 5.1 flac and/or DVD-D ISO.

Hi
Do you have other surround albums as reference discs?

Me personally, just PT's In Absentia. But Bruce has a network of testers to help me out with that.

IA is a mess IMO. Even SW is not happy with the mastering on that. Try PT fear Of A Blank Planet and Opeth Blackwater Park you will love them.

Hi Dan,

I'll happily download the 5.1 FLAC and I'm looking forward to some more surround music! My thought was that I have a few of the Monster Music surround discs and they put files on the discs, so for those that can't its another way to get Hi-Res audio. I'm lucky as I can get around 35-40Mb/s download at my house, though others quarter of a mile away are under 10M.

So the only questions is when is your next 5.1 release due?

Cheers

Duncan

Hey! I missed this in time to accommodate that request, but I'd happy to burn the 5.1 flac to disc for you and ship it with the CD/DVD. Is bandwidth an issue?

Hi Dan,

I'll happily download the 5.1 FLAC and I'm looking forward to some more surround music! My thought was that I have a few of the Monster Music surround discs and they put files on the discs, so for those that can't its another way to get Hi-Res audio. I'm lucky as I can get around 35-40Mb/s download at my house, though others quarter of a mile away are under 10M.

So the only questions is when is your next 5.1 release due?

Cheers

Duncan

I've yet to start writing another album, but I hope it doesn't take me 4 years like this one did. I'd definitely go for a 5.1 mix again though! This was my first album. I've definitely learned a lot, so hopefully the next one is easier.

:cool: Excellent news :51banana:
I've yet to start writing another album, but I hope it doesn't take me 4 years like this one did. I'd definitely go for a 5.1 mix again though! This was my first album. I've definitely learned a lot, so hopefully the next one is easier.

This is an excellent release. The musis is a mix of metal and prog. Some of the voclas are of the growling type. But even when that is not your style, you can get enough put of this album, as there is a nice question and answer type of thing going on between the growl and the clean vocals here and there.

The surround mix is Bruce his finest so far in the heavy department. (His solo record is his best surround to me yet).
A balanced mix woth good use of the surround channels, vocals, guitar it is all there. This mix will make a lot of QQ members happy, no doubt. Will listen to it more to give more detailed description.

A recommended release available in digital and physical format.

I managed to listen to the 5.1 FLAC this afternoon (as WFH today). I agree with Robert this is a really good album and mix, I enjoyed it, and 'growl' vocals are not my thing (way outside my comfort zone). They are not all the time, and when they do appear they work well on this album as they fit the music, they don't over power. For comparison the nearest I can think of is early Opeth. The musicianship and songs are good, and the album is both mellow and has a really nice hard rock edge with the guitars, I liked the saxophone which I hadn't expected (hadn't read the pdf cover!). I still haven't figured out how the drummer can hit the Bass drum that fast! The mix has some nice things going on, and its immersive. So Dan & "They Seem Like Owls" have produced a good album in "Strangers" - which I'd have missed if I hadn't been a member of QQ. Its a definite :upthumb

More please folks.

Just ordered the CD/DVD combo. Really digging the music and I'm looking forward to hearing it in 5.1. So I sort of glanced through the previous posts here, but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere... what's the format here? DVDA? DTS?

I think the DVD-V is DTS, Dan of They Seem Like Owls has sent those of us who ordered CD/DVD a link to the 5.1 FLAC. See post #23.

Just ordered the CD/DVD combo. Really digging the music and I'm looking forward to hearing it in 5.1. So I sort of glanced through the previous posts here, but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere... what's the format here? DVDA? DTS?

Back