Thick as a Brick #3?!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just purchased this. A steal with a minimum bid amount of $15 CAD. Perhaps add a bit more $ when you purchase it. It's excellent. I was a bit worried with the comments about minimum LFE usage. The bass line is very clear and prominent throughout. I have my speakers set to small as I want the bass management to channel everything below around 50 hz to my 3 subs. The bass is very nice throughout with sub usage happening throughout where there is actual bass on the recording. There is also the possibility that the resolution is better on the flac files than it will be on the DVD. Can't attest to that though.

My order has already arrived.

Today celebration is at home

Still Thick as a Brick.jpg

I listened to the free file and enjoyed it quite a bit. Downloading the whole 5.1 file now, hope I enjoy the album as much.
This is the way I'd like to see all new multich music offered, in a inexpensive downloadable version and not only the mega expensive boxed sets with tons of crap I have no interest in.
YMMV LOL

I listened to the free file and enjoyed it quite a bit. Downloading the whole 5.1 file now, hope I enjoy the album as much.
This is the way I'd like to see all new multich music offered, in a inexpensive downloadable version and not only the mega expensive boxed sets with tons of crap I have no interest in.
YMMV LOL

For me, it is worth to spend a little more to have the DVD with the elaborated slide show and subtitles that is a good art complement and help understand a lot.

My order has already arrived.

Today celebration is at home

View attachment 65563
Rereading this thread because I'm currently enjoying the reprint of the original TAAB bookset. From the looks of this photo, Still Thick... is a lot thinner than the Tull booksets, but seems to be the same format otherwise. Is that correct?

"Still Thick as a Brick is the debut album of this band and sounds in all aspects just like the original album from 1972."

OK, before I ask this I want to apologize if it comes off dicky, but...

If it sounds just like the original (i.e., like a cover band reproducing it exactly) what is the point of getting it? Why wouldn't I just listen to the original?
When Iron Maiden covered "Cross Eyed Mary" it sounded like Iron Maiden covering Jethro Tull not Iron Maiden imitating Jethro Tull.
Or did I just read that"sounds in all aspects just like" too literally?

"Still Thick as a Brick is the debut album of this band and sounds in all aspects just like the original album from 1972."

OK, before I ask this I want to apologize if it comes off dicky, but...

If it sounds just like the original (i.e., like a cover band reproducing it exactly) what is the point of getting it? Why wouldn't I just listen to the original?
When Iron Maiden covered "Cross Eyed Mary" it sounded like Iron Maiden covering Jethro Tull not Iron Maiden imitating Jethro Tull.
Or did I just read that"sounds in all aspects just like" too literally?

It sounds "like" the original... But it is not a cover of the original.

It is a different composition that "emulates" the style of the original, its structure and concept, with different story and characters, as a tribute.

As an analogy, it is like the "Sanctuary" series of Robert Reed (from Magenta, Cyan, Chimpan A) as a tribute to Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells.

Rereading this thread because I'm currently enjoying the reprint of the original TAAB bookset. From the looks of this photo, Still Thick... is a lot thinner than the Tull booksets, but seems to be the same format otherwise. Is that correct?

It is from another band. It is Not Jethro Tull. Just a tribute that is really interesting if you like the TAAB concept and music.

With respect to format:

CD + DVD (5.1 DTS/AC3) - Hard Book 72 pages. 193 x 143 mm size. 15 mm thick.

1674494530942.png
1674494565619.png
1674494615013.png

CD + DVD (5.1 DTS/AC3) - Hard Book 72 pages. 193 x 143 mm size. 15 mm thick.
That looks to be very kool book!

I enjoyed the stereo, never got my copy, whoever runs their bandcamp could give two shits.
Bummer,
How long you been waiting?
Wish they offered a downloadable pdf or something, I'd love to have it to read but --------------------------------------

I saw this when it was first posted. Was going to order, but then forgot about it. Thanks for resurrecting the post. Ordered. Postage to the US was nearly as much as the disc. :censored:

That looks to be very kool book!

Bummer,
How long you been waiting?
Wish they offered a downloadable pdf or something, I'd love to have it to read but --------------------------------------
Lockdown. They show delivered so could care less that I never got it.
It went to my work address on a Sat, we do not accept deliveries on the weekend at that building so no idea how the DHL guy got a signature.

It is from another band. It is Not Jethro Tull. Just a tribute that is really interesting if you like the TAAB concept and music.
I was well aware, as you'll see if you reread my posting. Was just curious how the packaging compares to the "original".

I received this release yesterday and played it through today. This is as good as it gets for an old Tull fan. It's new music in vintage Tull style. Definitely not a remake. It could easily be confused as a true JT release from back in the day. It is an astounding impersonation of early 70s Ian Anderson on vocals. They even get the unique phrasing down pat. The guitar work could easily be mistaken for Martin Barre. There are even Tullesque keyboards and some exotic instruments. I love the xylophone. The concept is updated for this decade. The passages tackle subjects like commercialization, sex, small town life, and the modern virtual world. If you like TAAB, even some, this album is a must have. It's a very unique and tremendous experience to play this disk.

Some of my thoughts...

It's well put together. Like TAAB, it is packaged with a back story and a newspaper of sorts (the Rollington Stone), which discusses the local music scene. At first was cursing the small type, only to find that all the text appears again toward the end of the book in larger type. Definitely geared to geezers. Nice.

There is a slide show that accompanies the music and is timed to it. At times it is quite effective in illustrating the story line. Lots of times it is just shots of instruments. You can watch it with the lyrics displayed as subtitles. In several different languages. It all works great.

The mix is near incredible. Discreteness in spades. There is some whirling and ping pong,. But it's all in service to the music. You won't be bored with this one. The mixer should consider mixing more in surround.

It may not be the last word in sonics, but it's no slouch either. Play it loud. It's a very clean recording. In 24/48 Dolby or DTS. It's very worthy.

Comes as a CD + DVD. I'm not sure why yet, but I also got a separately packaged DVD that I think is identical to the one in the set. Maybe different video standard?

If this were a poll it would get a 10. It's that good. At $21 + $17 shipping. It's a steal. Unfortunately. When last I saw, It is no longer available. Maybe they will get more? I'm glad I got mine when I did.

... It is an astounding impersonation of early 70s Ian Anderson on vocals. They even get the unique phrasing down pat. ......

The voice is played by Paul Forrest, from a Jethro Tull tribute band, it's about the same as Ian Anderson's as a young man.

In the following link you can see Paul Forrest as a guest artist in a performance by Jethro Tull who manages to appear to be an indistinguishable double of Ian Anderson, both for his appearance, his voice and the way he plays the flute. Watch it till the end and you will see "two" Ian Anderson on the stage:

Back