Thick as a Brick #3?!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I....

There is a slide show that accompanies the music and is timed to it. At times it is quite effective in illustrating the story line. Lots of times it is just shots of instruments. You can watch it with the lyrics displayed as subtitles. In several different languages. It all works great.

The mix is near incredible. Discreteness in spades. There is some whirling and ping pong,. But it's all in service to the music. You won't be bored with this one. The mixer should consider mixing more in surround.

It may not be the last word in sonics, but it's no slouch either. Play it loud. It's a very clean recording. In 24/48 Dolby or DTS. It's very worthy.

Lutz Meinert himself, the founder of this project "Reflection Club" has done both the mixing and mastering, the slideshow movie perfectly syncronized with the music and the DVD editing. Lutz was aware that the Jethro Tull albums, remixed by Steven Wilson, set a high bar for him to do something similar. I think he has done it well enough.

I've had the "bookset" edition of Still Thick As A Brick for a few years now and think it's often remarkably good at replicating the classic Tull sound, especially Ian's vocals. It's also the same size and similar presentation to the other Tull special editions. If you just can't get enough of TAAB, listen to the original, this one, and Ian Anderson's own TAAB2 back to back. It's quite the musical journey. Recommended.

HThe voice is played by Paul Forrest, from a Jethro Tull tribute band, it's about the same as Ian Anderson's as a young man.

In the following link you can see Paul Forrest as a guest artist in a performance by Jethro Tull who manages to appear to be an indistinguishable double of Ian Anderson, both for his appearance, his voice and the way he plays the flute. Watch it till the end and you will see "two" Ian Anderson on the stage:
Remarkable :love:

If this were a poll it would get a 10. It's that good. At $21 + $17 shipping. It's a steal. Unfortunately. When last I saw, It is no longer available. Maybe they will get more? I'm glad I got mine when I did.
I fully agree.
It still tweaks me just a bit and I wonder how accepting we would be it they didn't pull it off so damn good?

I received this release yesterday and played it through today. This is as good as it gets for an old Tull fan. It's new music in vintage Tull style. Definitely not a remake. It could easily be confused as a true JT release from back in the day. It is an astounding impersonation of early 70s Ian Anderson on vocals. They even get the unique phrasing down pat. The guitar work could easily be mistaken for Martin Barre. There are even Tullesque keyboards and some exotic instruments. I love the xylophone. The concept is updated for this decade. The passages tackle subjects like commercialization, sex, small town life, and the modern virtual world. If you like TAAB, even some, this album is a must have. It's a very unique and tremendous experience to play this disk.

Some of my thoughts...

It's well put together. Like TAAB, it is packaged with a back story and a newspaper of sorts (the Rollington Stone), which discusses the local music scene. At first was cursing the small type, only to find that all the text appears again toward the end of the book in larger type. Definitely geared to geezers. Nice.

There is a slide show that accompanies the music and is timed to it. At times it is quite effective in illustrating the story line. Lots of times it is just shots of instruments. You can watch it with the lyrics displayed as subtitles. In several different languages. It all works great.

The mix is near incredible. Discreteness in spades. There is some whirling and ping pong,. But it's all in service to the music. You won't be bored with this one. The mixer should consider mixing more in surround.

It may not be the last word in sonics, but it's no slouch either. Play it loud. It's a very clean recording. In 24/48 Dolby or DTS. It's very worthy.

Comes as a CD + DVD. I'm not sure why yet, but I also got a separately packaged DVD that I think is identical to the one in the set. Maybe different video standard?

If this were a poll it would get a 10. It's that good. At $21 + $17 shipping. It's a steal. Unfortunately. When last I saw, It is no longer available. Maybe they will get more? I'm glad I got mine when I did.
Ordered mine this morning so they must have gotten more!

I see this is available on Amazon for $26.90, with Prime delivery, from seller "Madvedge", which is significantly cheaper compared to having it shipped to the U.S. from Germany. Does anyone have inside knowledge or even conjecture on whether buying it this way screws the band out of some revenue? Trying to decide whether to buy it at all, and at close to $40 the answer would be no...

I've been cutting way back on my music purchases this year, in an effort to focus on the many goodies already in my collection that I don't listen to enough, and that still doesn't happen as often as it should, given the flood of spatial audio releases streaming on Apple that I feel compelled to check out, plus all the quad conversion files that have been generously shared out there, etc. etc. But being a huge fan of classic-era Tull, I'm intrigued by this release, and how well they've pulled off their original tribute, from the tracks I've heard streaming on Bandcamp. So for under $30, I might have to bite.

I see this is available on Amazon for $26.90, with Prime delivery, from seller "Madvedge", which is significantly cheaper compared to having it shipped to the U.S. from Germany. Does anyone have inside knowledge or even conjecture on whether buying it this way screws the band out of some revenue? Trying to decide whether to buy it at all, and at close to $40 the answer would be no...
You might want to take a look at the page of the seller ;)

Detailed Seller Information
Business Name: Lutz Meinert

It's Mr. Reflection Club himself :D The name of the label is Madvedge too.
So I don't think you can go wrong there.

I've been cutting way back on my music purchases this year, in an effort to focus on the many goodies already in my collection that I don't listen to enough, and that still doesn't happen as often as it should, given the flood of spatial audio releases streaming on Apple that I feel compelled to check out, plus all the quad conversion files that have been generously shared out there, etc. etc. But being a huge fan of classic-era Tull, I'm intrigued by this release, and how well they've pulled off their original tribute, from the tracks I've heard streaming on Bandcamp. So for under $30, I might have to bite.
It's worth $26. It's even worth $40 IMO

You might want to take a look at the page of the seller ;)

Detailed Seller Information
Business Name: Lutz Meinert

It's Mr. Reflection Club himself :D The name of the label is Madvedge too.
So I don't think you can go wrong there.
Thanks! I'm going to go ahead and get it from Amazon then.

Based on your info I did a web search for the label name and found this site with more detail on the project, which I didn't see mentioned previously in this thread:
https://madvedge.de/start_en.html

Thanks! I'm going to go ahead and get it from Amazon then.

Based on your info I did a web search for the label name and found this site with more detail on the project, which I didn't see mentioned previously in this thread:
https://madvedge.de/start_en.html
My order from Amazon is supposed to arrive later today, and I just received a notice from the seller (the label, as we now know) with a link to download the NTSC-formatted DVD image in case my player won't handle the PAL disc. I think my Oppo BDP-95 will play PAL just fine, but it's so cool that they are proactively providing a workaround for those who need an NTSC disc.

My order from Amazon is supposed to arrive later today, and I just received a notice from the seller (the label, as we now know) with a link to download the NTSC-formatted DVD image in case my player won't handle the PAL disc. I think my Oppo BDP-95 will play PAL just fine, but it's so cool that they are proactively providing a workaround for those who need an NTSC disc.
Well that probably answers what the additional disc is about.

Back