Thin Lizzy, Live And Dangerous-8 CD Box Set Coming

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my favorite all time bands.
I did buy the Legends Box Set a few years ago, very good.
LIVE AND DANGEROUS BOX SET
When I put on a search to see if anyone else messaged this today and found a Thin Lizzy DVD in DTS 5.1 Poll on QQ.
No votes, just a start from Neil Wilkes
HERE IT IS
Wow very interesting, anyone have the surround DVD ?
Ordered right when Snood first saw it - Love me some Thin Lizzy - got the first box set to Legends tooooo :SB

One of my favorite all time bands.
I did buy the Legends Box Set a few years ago, very good.
LIVE AND DANGEROUS BOX SET
When I put on a search to see if anyone else messaged this today and found a Thin Lizzy DVD in DTS 5.1 Poll on QQ.
No votes, just a start from Neil Wilkes
HERE IT IS
Wow very interesting, anyone have the surround DVD ?

If you’re referring to this, I purchased it because I wanted the surround mix:

https://www.discogs.com/release/2871516-Thin-Lizzy-Live-And-Dangerous
My comment on Discogs was:

RustyStatic Aug 25, 2021
Note - the back cover has a 5.1 logo, but this is NOT multichannel. There is no option to select multichannel audio on the disc itself, and using dvdae confirms there is only a 2ch mix present.

Actually, now looking at Neil’s post I see that’s yet another version and hey, maybe it does indeed have a surround mix! But, I still think for QQers the above is worth noting because the back cover is wrong on that release.

Yeah, Neil’s is this one:

https://www.discogs.com/release/3465082-Thin-Lizzy-Live-And-Dangerous

Last edited:
An incredible album. I seem to recall the 5.1 mix is only OK. The kind we accepted once, before things got good in a more regular way. I must dig it out and re-listen. I was hoping a proper revamp of the 5.1 would be in this new box set. But nope. Shame.

Finally got my hands on this 2007 OOP version:

https://www.discogs.com/release/3465082-Thin-Lizzy-Live-And-Dangerous
This one does indeed have a "surround" mix but it sounds like hot garbage. Listened to it side by side with the stereo version from the 2011 release:

https://www.discogs.com/release/2871516-Thin-Lizzy-Live-And-Dangerous
The video quality is pretty much the same in both instances but the 2011 stereo mix is the way to go when listening to this. The 5.1 in the 2007 is just fake reverb applied to the whole thing, making it sound really muddy and distant. Not worth chasing down at all. I didn't listen to the 2007 stereo mix but didn't feel the need to since the 2011 is fine and probably as good as it's going to get.

Now, the 2007 does have a bunch of clips from Top of The Pops, but they're all available on YouTube and are all just lip syncing, although it's kinda cool stuff to see/have.

The benefit of the 2007 release though is the 1983 BBC Sight and Sound concert, which is miles better looking and sounding than the final recorded show from the Thunder and Lightning tour which appears on this release:

https://www.discogs.com/release/16038421-Thin-Lizzy-25th-Anniversary-Essential-Collectors-Edition
So, just sharing in case it's helpful... the history of this title and all of the variations is bonkers.

The new 8 CD Box set is already sold out. I have my copy ordered from Amazon, since January it has not arrived yet.
Same here Marpster, said it has shipped though from Amazon UK :SB Shipped Jan 19th by....get this Australia Post Global wha??? :unsure:

Well that's a shame think I'll pass. With all these massive box sets sometimes I think the folks releasing them think
we live in a warehouse.

Yes it is a 8CD 24bit Set
No 5.1 disc..

Has a Sticker on the Front.
I knew it was 8CD's, nice to have good recordings from so many gigs

The Book is is made in Czech Republic

It is a Quality 24bit 8 CD collection
worth buying

I bought mine on Amazon UK
Colin London, good play on The Clash BTW. Are you sure your CD's are 24 bit? I would say highly unlikely, as I would think they would be your common RBCD at 16bit/44.1Khz?

Nice that you got yours. I looked at my amazon account, I purchased Jan 20, 2023 and not shipped, paid $124.83 with tax.
I also looked again at Amazon and they are now only selling import for $167.80 without tax, 2-4 weeks delivery.
So I decided to look at CDJapan they are selling $91.47 without tax, so would roughly be about the same as my original Amazon order.
Notes from CDJapan: You may only purchase one. Backorder, usually ships 2-4 weeks.
Amazon.co.uk, Currently Unavailable.

Obviously this box set is in high demand and didn't press enough or having large shipping problems. Price will go up for a few years before coming back down.
Wait and see.
Consider yourself lucky if you got one.

SPLURGED and got the Japanese SHM-CD version, which seems to be the only one available (at $160!!!! w S&H)...
Seems that it was mixed in Stealth Surround.. the crowds are solid on the back and the guitars extend all the way back... the mix is NOT slammed and it sounds VERY VERY GOOD!!!

Well, this simple little box set has turned into another over wanted and under produced box set. Seems almost normal now to order music and not be able to get it. All US Amazon orders are not being fulfilled. As an example this Canadian site has box set and will only sell to Canada, Canadian-Live And Dangerous
So basically all US customers are waiting. I looked at link on SH Forum and TONS of talk, everyone liking it. eBay sellers are already ripping people off with high prices.
I have not got a negative notice from Amazon US yet so I'll just hold tight and wait and see.
Man, what is the world coming to, people complain about music, made like shit, not available, music producers complaining, musicians complaining, buyers of music complaining.
Seems like an opportunity for someone to make a killing and make the music world popular again.

SPLURGED and got the Japanese SHM-CD version, which seems to be the only one available (at $160!!!! w S&H)...
Seems that it was mixed in Stealth Surround.. the crowds are solid on the back and the guitars extend all the way back... the mix is NOT slammed and it sounds VERY VERY GOOD!!!
spoke too soon.. the seller had a 2 LP version... I had to REMIND him to update me to get those news...so hard to get good helps these days...
I DID find the Japanese version in jpc.de...they claim it's shipping within 2-3 weeks...it was a bit cheaper, about $140 with shipping...let's hope it's true!

Back