Thinking about adding Atmos Height speakers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I did a little searching at ACC4Less and it seems it's not very common- might be mostly a Denon thing (surprised Marantz wouldn't follow suit). It starts as low as the x2600h:
Supports Dolby Atmos, Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization Technology, DTS:X, and DTS Virtual:X: Enjoy an immersive, three-dimensional audio experience up to 7.2.4 with an additional 2ch amplifier.

It seems they want to sell us more expensive AVR's (imagine that) to go from 2 to 4 heights. It's quite a jump for just those 2 extra speakers- because you're not just paying for 2 extra amplifiers, but all the added power and features of higher end kit. The pre-outs would seem like a great solution, since I imagine most of us into Atmos probably have an old piece lying around we could get 2 channels from.

Denon makes the zone 2 pre-outs on those assignable- which doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do. Funny but some of the mid-range 7.2's have pre-outs for the fronts, but they aren't assignable. Some even have pre-outs for all 7 channels, but none for the extra 2 heights. They just seemed designed to get more of our money as opposed to efficient, well-engineered rigs.

couple of basic questions:

First of all, am I wasting my time only adding 2 instead of 4? (I have a 5.1 system now) And if I do only add two, should they be towards the front or the back or do I try more for the center of the room?
I only have 2 right now overhead. Better than none, I do intend to add another 2 this year. SVS Prime Elevation Effects Speaker (Pair)

I haven't dove into Atmos yet- and probably won't until I get a better room. But for all you talking about new AVR's to go from 5.x.2 to 5.x.4: can't you just add a stereo amp to get the 2 extra height speakers? I thought 7 channel Atmos AVR's included pre-outs for the other 2?
You are absolutely correct, yes you can add a amp which is my plan. I have McIntosh equip and when I talked to them about adding my 4 ceiling speakers they suggested this product M1254-4 for my rig, but of course any brand would do.

Hi, beware of Atmos and Auro compatibility issues, take a look at the white paper in attachment if you plan to combine both systems.

Attachments

• white_paper__combined_auro3d_and_dolby_atmos_setup_20160219__067913000_1113_11082016.pdf
    622.8 KB · Views: 1,405
I don't have an Atmos AVR yet but am thinking about an upgrade. I have a drop ceiling in my basement listening room, so adding in-ceiling speakers would be relatively easy. I have seen mention of Micca M-8C speakers for this purpose. Before my recent research, I had never heard of Micca before. I was initially thinking Polk since my existing surround speakers are Polk, but these Miccas are really inexpensive and have received some favorable reviews. They include the ability to point the tweeter to the listening position. I know they aren't audiophile grade but I figure they are only being asked to fill in the Atmos height channels, they will be crossed over to my sub so bass isn't an issue, and they are cheap enough (under $40 each) where if I don't like them, I haven't spent too much to find out. Does anyone have any experience with these Micca speakers?

Well it will be a very long time till atmos for me cuz instead of a new avr i just bought another Oppo instead... Thought well which would i rather have??? another oppo or a new avr...hmmmm My old pioneer is still working fine...oppo now OOP...so answer more important to me to have another reliable spinner so a new/ never used old stock oppo 103d on its way

New AVR will now be on hold for another year or so

I have a 5.1.2 AVR setup with Atmos up firing speakers (PSB) placed on top of my main front floor standing speakers. This is probably not the most optimal setup and to be honest I don't really feel that it adds much to the audio mix for Atmos enabled movies and even music. The best way to go if you want decent Dolby Atmos is inceiling speakers at front and back of room.

View attachment 52398
This was exactly what I was thinking of getting as well. But reading your comments, feel like I should wait? Does it add any difference at all?

This is my dream:

Dolby Atmos 7.1.4

I can do it right now with my receiver, but it will have to wait a few years until I can afford more speakers and I move to a house with a bigger, better listening room.

Yeah I did a little searching at ACC4Less and it seems it's not very common- might be mostly a Denon thing (surprised Marantz wouldn't follow suit). It starts as low as the x2600h:
Supports Dolby Atmos, Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization Technology, DTS:X, and DTS Virtual:X: Enjoy an immersive, three-dimensional audio experience up to 7.2.4 with an additional 2ch amplifier.

I'm looking at the manual for this model, and I'm not seeing a way to get 7.2.4 (or even 5.1.4) out of the x2600h. Maybe I'm misinterpeting? But the options look identical to those in the manual for my Marantz NR1607. It doesn't seem to be possible to combine the Main Zone and Zone 2 in order to output a combined 5.1.4 signal. (I'd sure like to, though!)

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2600H/NA/EN/DRDZSYqtphnnez.phphttp://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2600H/NA/EN/GFNFSYvqscamxo.php#OKNRMLwsrabnvd

Last edited:
3700 would still require an external stereo amp as it a 9 channel amp for 7.2.4 but it will do 5.2.4

6700 is the next model up with 11 channels needed for 7.2.4

Right. The tantalizing possibility that @ProgRules raised was that one might be able to "assign" the pre-out/Zone 2 speakers on one of these 7-channel AVRs to act as a second pair Atmos heights/overheads in the Main zone instead, and thereby extend the AVR's capabilities from 5.1.2 to 5.1.4. But I don't think it can be done...

and thereby extend the AVR's capabilities from 5.1.2 to 5.1.4. But I don't think it can be done..

The channel assignment matrix doc supports your conclusion but I’d suggest you look at the Denon setup to see if you can assign the rear amps to Atmos heights and zone 2 to Atmos heights too. My 7200WA can assign most channels, not just the Zones (I think...)

The channel assignment matrix doc supports your conclusion but I’d suggest you look at the Denon setup to see if you can assign the rear amps to Atmos heights and zone 2 to Atmos heights too. My 7200WA can assign most channels, not just the Zones (I think...)

Marantz for me, actually, but the matrix in the Marantz manual is more or less identical. As I read that matrix, though--and I may be missing something--I don't think the the dedicated Zone 2 channels can be assigned to anything except Zone 2. Certainly not clear from the actual on-screen setup menus how it could be done. I'll give Marantz tech support a call tomorrow, though, just to make sure.
http://manuals.marantz.com/NR1607/NA/EN/GFNFSYvqscamxo.phphttp://manuals.marantz.com/NR1607/NA/EN/WBSPSYtweharpi.php#WBSPMLjirxwzkr

Very nice! I'm curious about the price if you care to share. I'd imagine it's pretty steep?

Well that was a big disappointment n alot of stress today.. Deal to good to be true
Was advertised new by a seller with good reviews since 2002...so i ordered it
$775 for machine offered w/ 3 yr square trade warranty for extra $100 so i bit...$875+tax...almost 900 smackeroos

This afternoon get message delivery date 6-22. Later get email order is cancelled...im like WTF...then get email from ebay saying im involved w a hacked account...then calling bank to to cxl my card....damnit

I'm looking at the manual for this model, and I'm not seeing a way to get 7.2.4 (or even 5.1.4) out of the x2600h. Maybe I'm misinterpeting? But the options look identical to those in the manual for my Marantz NR1607. It doesn't seem to be possible to combine the Main Zone and Zone 2 in order to output a combined 5.1.4 signal. (I'd sure like to, though!)

Not sure what to say Prof. I have no experience, just relying on that quote I posted from the Acc4Less description. Sorry if I gave you false hope... :censored:

Addendum: checking Denon's site there's no mention of this capability. Looks like Acc4Less's description is wrong. Probably worth a call to support just to be sure but it doesn't look good. Sorry for passing on bad info...

Last edited:
Back