This guy thinks surround is dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is like Atmos? a competitor? I knew soon enough it would happen. MY concern, and I don't mean to be negative- but we can't get stuff in 5.1 now. Big thread about MC music at the AVS forum today. Lots of MC music lovers here too. What is needed is CHOICE!!

G
thank you for mentioning the Aelita bluray. First time I hear about it. It's ordered now, and I'm really thrilled.

Where did you order it from? Took a quick look at band's website, but did not find the order links (phone browser limitations?).
What I did find was most likely one of the ugliest covers I've ever seen...

G

Where did you order it from? Took a quick look at band's website, but did not find the order links (phone browser limitations?).

Amazon Germany have the BDA in stock now. Cover art looks hideous I agree!

G

jpc.de

Hmm, a perfect example of just the opposite this guy is saying : http://www.auro-3d.com/press/2014/0...s-first-pop-album-in-auro-3d-immersive-sound/

Maybe we should create a topic on his own for Auro 3D, I'm really happy as a band is brave enough to release a record in stereo, 5.1 and this new format in a single bluray!

I've posted about Auro 3D here before. It's an object-based 11 channel format for movie sound that competes with Dolby Atmos. Developed by the Owner of Galaxy Studios in Europe. Very interesting.
http://www.auro-3d.com/

On the hardware side - why are there so few multichannel options in the burgeoning field of up and coming DACs that can handle DSD? Currently, the three popular options are: exasound's e28, a cumbersome Mytek deck of three Mytek Stereo 192, and in a more limited form - the Oppo 105 player: see the excellent spreadsheed on DSD dacs (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgVhKcl_3lHfdFVyenBBNjNpQ2lieG81WGpqQTNfVUE#gid=0). At any audio show I attend, I'm always overwhelmed by two-channel equipment and totally underwhelmed by the surround sound gear. When given the opportunity I always voice my preference.

For now, the exaSound e28 works fine here with Multichannel music files and downloads. And for many others, the Oppo 105 is an affordable choice.
The good news is that there will be more Multichannel DAC choices coming as the number of Multichannel music downloads continues to increase.

We should never forget, that we are the small group of people in the land of good music and listening equipment.
Just take a look at music charts.
Real good music is like easter eggs. You have to find it.
When you have passion for music you will also have better equipment, if the budget supports it.

No problem for me that I am one of the smaller special forces! :)

At the end of the day, the opinion that really matters is your own. If you like Surround Sound music, you will buy it.
And that will happen, regardless of what a particular writer or blogger's view may be.

As they say on the Internet, YMMV (Your mileage may vary)! :)

I've posted about Auro 3D here before. It's an object-based 11 channel format for movie sound that competes with Dolby Atmos. Developed by the Owner of Galaxy Studios in Europe. Very interesting.
http://www.auro-3d.com/

This is my point! If Dolby has a system, why not DTS? Plus, most BD are DTS MA-So, what is to stop the DTS or the Auro from becoming top dog? AVR's are coming out with the capability, but I would wait it out before buying.

Some of his movies are good for a laugh though...

View attachment 14842

POLICE ACADEMY (1984) THE BLUE OYSTER "SALAD" BAR :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlGclIZV5JQ

I see that sound bars are popular, but soon enough people want the real thing. The direct cause of this and our failure to have lots of surround media is demonstrated by the total lack of any type of education. I know it's not conducive to the rules here, but all you need do is see the yahoo article about Spielberg shooting a dinosaur, and the response's he got.
And wonder no more.

I'm not sure of sound bars? Is that a place where you go and drink and listen to music at a sound-bar. lol

I apologize. I have heard one of these things at fish & chips shop across the road. It was mounted above the door as you walk in and the tv was placed elsewhere. I was listen to it more than caring about some crappy tv show. I have to say sound-bars not for me. I prefer big speakers the real thing.

As for Mahoney, I think he might be bipolar, like myself and just having a bad day. I think he's dead wrong on all points.

Thou I do believe the trend of home cinema has kinder worn off a bit now. No one really care about your home cinema theatre, least my friends so I think its kinder like, some people want these big tv, oh really big, huh video projectors still projector a larger image onto thin sheet of white transparent fabric.

A few months ago a friend phones me and asks for my advice on new AVR and sub, he's not really clued up for this market.

Anyway again I think Mr. Guttenberg, is wrong.

Surround sound is not dead! Even an old mono signal has data that can be considered as a Surround sound. Set two speakers apart, and add a third opposite them. Wire the third speaker by using the positive leads from each of the mono units. The third speaker will project sound waves that are the difference between the two other speakers. There exists in every recording, signals that are out of phase with the original, all you need do is figure out a way of projecting them, and that applies to stereo, mono and four channel systems. Some signal rely on an effect called "precedence" which hides itself by being out of phase. Find the signal, increase its volume and when you do hear it, it appears to have no point of origin. Lastly, always use a compression driver tweeter, it produces frequencies beyond human range...But it beats with audible frequencies and that adds realism to the music. OK? Bringing old musical recordings into the realm of surround sound is possible by "Yankee Ingenuity."

speaking of cars, I see ads for a new BMW bragging about Harmon surround sound-I wonder.
I went from a Lexus ES to a modified Audi S4 and while there is no comparison driving-wise, I REALLY miss the Levinson system from my old Lexus. Played real DVD-As and DTS CDs and sounded fantastic.

I spend a lot more car time listening to the engine now rather than the audio system. Not that that's terrible, mind you - but it is sometimes disappointing.

The main issue is that if you never walked into a high end audio store you wouldn't know about surround sound audio. I had a friend that had a system that got me interested in a reboot, back to the Quad sound from the 70's (had a quad 8 track in my car). Growing up in Detroit we had for a short time WWWW or known as W-4 broadcasting in quad, it was awesome. I've helped a few friends get into a DVD-a and sacd system. But its all about promotion marketing. If John Q public could go to a big box store that had surround systems available things would change. IMHO I believe the BD format may help. Or vinyl,cd,dvd,blu-ray swap meets. I used to go to these to look for vinyls or equipment, whatever happened to those. I don't have an answer to get the masses to wake up and listen to music in it purest form.

Well Snood went into an old record store that Me used to go to waaaaaaaaaaaay back - Was on that side of town traveling from work. Wow just like Snood remembers lotta vinyl, used cds and new stuff too. Small place. The guy behind the counter was the original owner from waaay back,but of course he did not remember me.........

Well thought would ask him if he carried any 5.1 surround releases...........mentioned dvd-audio and pure audio bluray........he kinda pointed me to his used dvd titles. :rolleyes:

So asked again before was leaving..............pointed at the Petty - Hypnotic Eye poster he had and started to explain to him about how it was released in a 5.1 bluray format (even tho Snoood already had it) so he goes on his computer and says his distributor only shows the cd and vinyl version available. He asks, "Are you sure what you are talking about is not a bootleg" :yikes

SO i said no man - look on Amazon they sell it..........look for petty bluray Hypnotic eye and read the description............it's 5.1 stuff in surround sound that will blow ur mind. Not just that title but a bunch of others are out there tooooooooooooooooooooo.

Told him nice to see this place still around and if Snood get some time back from work will drop by again...........left with him still staring at the screen searching for petty 5.1. :mad:@:

This is the 2nd time in 3 weeks this has kind of happened. Went to an old haunt......all used LPs or CDs tho and asked the displaced Woodstock veteran (actually looked like Haight Ashbury hippie but way older) about 5.1 surround, if he had any...........the look was like the the dog moving his head in one direction and wondering what that hell you are talking about. Snood was like reaaaaaaaaallly??

Is 5.1 dead?..............hell no

The reason why??

Because Snood got into one by luck DVD-A, then joined QQ a year ago and and the skies opened up for ya'll. So yeah it all because of Snood!!! All Hail Snood!!! Cept maybe Jon, even tho me knows he wanna hail Snood :rolleyes: :banana:

Well Snood went into an old record store that Me used to go to waaaaaaaaaaaay back - Was on that side of town traveling from work. Wow just like Snood remembers lotta vinyl, used cds and new stuff too. Small place. The guy behind the counter was the original owner from waaay back,but of course he did not remember me.........

Well thought would ask him if he carried any 5.1 surround releases...........mentioned dvd-audio and pure audio bluray........he kinda pointed me to his used dvd titles. :rolleyes:

So asked again before was leaving..............pointed at the Petty - Hypnotic Eye poster he had and started to explain to him about how it was released in a 5.1 bluray format (even tho Snoood already had it) so he goes on his computer and says his distributor only shows the cd and vinyl version available. He asks, "Are you sure what you are talking about is not a bootleg" :yikes

SO i said no man - look on Amazon they sell it..........look for petty bluray Hypnotic eye and read the description............it's 5.1 stuff in surround sound that will blow ur mind. Not just that title but a bunch of others are out there tooooooooooooooooooooo.

Told him nice to see this place still around and if Snood get some time back from work will drop by again...........left with him still staring at the screen searching for petty 5.1. :mad:@:

This is the 2nd time in 3 weeks this has kind of happened. Went to an old haunt......all used LPs or CDs tho and asked the displaced Woodstock veteran (actually looked like Haight Ashbury hippie but way older) about 5.1 surround, if he had any...........the look was like the the dog moving his head in one direction and wondering what that hell you are talking about. Snood was like reaaaaaaaaallly??

The reason why??

Because Snood got into one by luck DVD-A, then joined QQ a year ago and and the skies opened up for ya'll. So yeah it all because of Snood!!! All Hail Snood!!! Cept maybe Jon, even tho me knows he wanna hail Snood :rolleyes: :banana:

This happened to me years ago, when I found dvd audio. Went into a very popular (local) music store looking for dvd a's and after a good scouring -asked, the response still lingers in my head- 'what the eff is dvd audio?" (I discovered it in like 05 or so, well after it's release) the days when the big box stores-Best buy and CC had audio display's touting the 5.1 (both) formats.
The only way is to do the 3 hours search- you have to look through them yourself. Even when CC stopped the promos of 5.1 they put all the 5.1 stuff in with the redbook cd's.

The reason why??

:worthy:worthy:worthy

I was an early adopter of dvda. I spent 3 hours in a local best buy playing every disc they had open on their new kiosk, they politely asked me to leave. when I got done I looked and felt like the old maxell tape guy on the easy chair with the hair blown back. Went out the next week and bought a dvda player, new surround reciever and a half dozen discs, I think it was the fragile album on dvda which changed my life.

Back