This is an interesting approach from doom9...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John,

The method can deliver reasonably good results one some music (especially Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd), but I have to state that we now know know more (as to when we did the guide), and the correct Ambisonics approach is to use IR's (impulse responses, or signed filters) for creating the B-Format (WXYZ) and also for decoding the B-Format to a speaker-rig (e.g. 5.0). The VST's in the guide are best for handling artificial music (i.e. moving the sound of a bird from behind-left to front-right).

For the method using signed filters, might want to check the guide & outline from Angelo Farina (a famous professor at Univ of Parma, Italy; he is one of the true experts on this): Conversion between UHJ and B-format

You can download the filtering impulse responses and the AudioMulch/Bidule patches from Farina's public server

Kind regards,
Andreas

kempfand said:
John,

The method can deliver reasonably good results one some music (especially Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd), but I have to state that we now know know more (as to when we did the guide), and the correct Ambisonics approach is to use IR's (impulse responses, or signed filters) for creating the B-Format (WXYZ) and also for decoding the B-Format to a speaker-rig (e.g. 5.0). The VST's in the guide are best for handling artificial music (i.e. moving the sound of a bird from behind-left to front-right).

For the method using signed filters, might want to check the guide & outline from Angelo Farina (a famous professor at Univ of Parma, Italy; he is one of the true experts on this): Conversion between UHJ and B-format

You can download the filtering impulse responses and the AudioMulch/Bidule patches from Farina's public server

Kind regards,
Andreas

Thanks for that! Methinks I'll have a go at these methods. I've always liked ambisonics... :banana:
Will post back the results when I get chance to have a play, so to speak.
Scott

Back