• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

HiRez Poll Thorns, The - THE THORNS [SACD]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the SACD of Thorns - THE THORNS

• Total voters

daved64

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I love the music. But the mix and sonics suck the sweat from a monkeys butt. Keep Nick Didia away from a 5.1 console!

7 only cuz I love the music so much.

MIDIQ

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
7 sounds about right to me, nice music, and a fair surround mix.

Last edited:

daved64

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Revisited this, as I am a lot of discs since finishing my music room. It sucks sonically harder and longer than I remember, and the mix starts off great and goes to poo right after the first song. Bad bad bad. TOO bad cuz the music is great! (n)

VACamper

Well, that settles it for me. I own the CD, and love the music, but I'll pass on the SACD. I didn't know it existed until I saw it a few days ago at the local Best Buy. No wonder it's still on the shelf.

surroundophile

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Just revisited this tonight for the first time since buying it back in 2003. Have to agree with y'all.
Music:8
Sound:2
Mix:1
These guys are a clone of Crosby Stills & Nash and the music is nice, but the sound is shrill, what some people call "digititus". And the mix? Each song has maybe one sound pop up in the rears (maybe to "highlight" it), and the rest of the time they are silent, not even any ambiance!
Going on eBay soon.

steelydave

Staff member
Since 2002/2003
I disagree with the people who say this mix sucks! Yes it is no Elliott Scheiner mix, but there is active stuff in the surrounds on every song - mostly instruments rather than backing vocals and perhaps not as pronounced as you'd like. Sonically, this is much better than the CD, a much much wider soundstage and frequency response. I don't find it harsh at all; I often listen to this at between -20 and -15 on my system (Denon AVR-2310 feeding 5 full range KEF 'Q' series speakers and a 300 watt KEF sub) and as of late it's become one of my favourite hi-rez discs.

Do I wish it had a mix like America's 'Homecoming'? Certianly. But if you like this album on CD you should definitely own the SACD.

PROTIP: Crank up your surrounds by 1-2dB and a lot of the discrete information in the rears will become more apparent because of dominant channel theory.

This one is at least a 7 for me!

DKA

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Was this that "supergroup" with Matthew Sweet and a couple of other 90's-era guys doing the triple-harmony thing? Some decent moments on that CD.

dr. simple

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I threw this on tonight just for the heck of it, fully expecting it to be underwhelming, but I have to say that I agree with steelydave's comments below. Sure, it's not a GREAT mix, but if you like the Redbook CD, this is similar but with some nice surprises jumping out of the surrounds - and something on every song. Sonically it is very pleasant on my system. I haven't voted, but I'm between a 6 and a 7. If you like the CD, I'd recommend this with the caveat that it's not, as steelydave said, a Scheiner mix, or a Wilson mix, or a Penny mix... but still worth having, in my opinion.

I disagree with the people who say this mix sucks! Yes it is no Elliott Scheiner mix, but there is active stuff in the surrounds on every song - mostly instruments rather than backing vocals and perhaps not as pronounced as you'd like. Sonically, this is much better than the CD, a much much wider soundstage and frequency response. I don't find it harsh at all; I often listen to this at between -20 and -15 on my system (Denon AVR-2310 feeding 5 full range KEF 'Q' series speakers and a 300 watt KEF sub) and as of late it's become one of my favourite hi-rez discs.

Do I wish it had a mix like America's 'Homecoming'? Certianly. But if you like this album on CD you should definitely own the SACD.

PROTIP: Crank up your surrounds by 1-2dB and a lot of the discrete information in the rears will become more apparent because of dominant channel theory.

This one is at least a 7 for me!

Group builder