Those nasty old Q8's. Who thinks one's worth $1,500.00

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blows my mind, especially considering the exact same mix is commercially available in a much cleaner format.... it all comes down to owning that specific cartridge then and not just for the music. In my mind NO single cartridge is worth that much. A person could make one easily, since it's just a black and white slicker....

Hmmm.... gives me an idea for a new business.

I once got into an argument because some dude was happy he paid $100 for the US DSOTM Q8 and I was like dude.... it's a compromised mix. If you want, I'll send you a CD with Alan Parson's true, discrete mix on it. He defended his purchase by saying he HAD to own everything Pink Floyd-related, regardless of cost.

I didn't have the heart to tell him I have three copies lying around somewhere and I didn't pay $100 for all three, let alone just one.
One of mine was used to record the Alan Parson's mix onto the purple shell Q8. Turned out not bad with some creative editing, but it was then I learned my Akai don't record as well as I'd like it to......

Of course, who remembers a few years ago when that CCR GOLD Q8 topped $1500.... which was followed by EVERY SINGLE OTHER COPY IN THE WORLD flooding the eBay market....

I should be a real turd and put my Abbey Road Q8 on eBay and advertise it as genuine. I could fuckin' retire.

Blows my mind, especially considering the exact same mix is commercially available in a much cleaner format.... it all comes down to owning that specific cartridge then and not just for the music. In my mind NO single cartridge is worth that much. A person could make one easily, since it's just a black and white slicker....

Hmmm.... gives me an idea for a new business.

I once got into an argument because some dude was happy he paid $100 for the US DSOTM Q8 and I was like dude.... it's a compromised mix. If you want, I'll send you a CD with Alan Parson's true, discrete mix on it. He defended his purchase by saying he HAD to own everything Pink Floyd-related, regardless of cost.

Holy Grail. ‘Nuff said!

Wasn’t aware there were commercial CD versions of Parsons discrete (U.K.) quad mix out there. Were those included on the most recent DSOTM SACD by Analogue Productions?

Holy Grail. ‘Nuff said!

Wasn’t aware there were commercial CD versions of Parsons discrete (U.K.) quad mix out there. Were those included on the most recent DSOTM SACD by Analogue Productions?
The SACD version is the 5.1 mix by James Guthrie, different from the 4.0 mix by Alan Parsons.

Back