Thoughts on Colors Of The Day Audio Fidelity 4.0 SACD by Judy Collins

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonmrife

I was around back then when Judy Collins was culturally more relevant than she is today, so I am a bit biased.

This is an interesting release, low key and thoughtful.

The SQ is quite good; these old tapes sound fine. Her voice, 40 years ago, was clear and emotive. She knew how to pick songs and songwriters.

Before this arrived in my mailbox, I read more than one thread that dissed the quad mix as "unimpressive" "passive" etc. I am glad that I actually listened to the disc instead of the naysayers. IMO the surround mix is subtle and clean, but not in-your-face. It suits the material well. Discrete, tasteful and appropriate.

I love her take on In My Life, Suzanne, and others. And then there are the whales. My wife and I both loved the effect -- just beautiful. Others have commented about different takes, extra tracks. Woulda. Shoulda. Etc. We don't have those. But what we do have is a good, artistic quad release on SACD from AF. Thanks for that.

Again, this one is low key and thoughtful, and maybe not for every taste. But the delights are many.

But at home last night on a snowy evening, it was a wonderful experience.

Other thoughts?

Last edited:
Yes! Where's the snow??? I've got a stack of discs a mile long that I am waiting for a cold, snowy evening to CRANK.
Move here. There's plenty.

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 183
Yes! Where's the snow??? I've got a stack of discs a mile long that I am waiting for a cold, snowy evening to CRANK.

Plenty of snow here in the burbs west of Denver. 5-10 inches before it is done this afternoon.

Yep! Hi Jon. I'm also in Denver (Englewood) and have about a half-foot of snow already. XTC day for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back