DTS-CD Ticks and pops

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ress4278

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I have a KLH TNE 7000 noise reduction unit. All those talking about the conversions might want to hear how this takes out pops and ticks. It works great on stero and sq. I haven't tried it on CD-4 yet, but as I understand the unit, it lets everything below 50-60-K pass thru w/o altering it, so I expect the carrier signal would not be affected.
Lance

ress4278 said:
I have a KLH TNE 7000 noise reduction unit. All those talking about the conversions might want to hear how this takes out pops and ticks. It works great on stero and sq. I haven't tried it on CD-4 yet, but as I understand the unit, it lets everything below 50-60-K pass thru w/o altering it, so I expect the carrier signal would not be affected.
Lance

hi Lance

for Ticks & Pops there is nothing like Dart 32 i have several ticks & pops units but so far my Dart 32 program is the best !!!!!!!!! thanks Gerardo

ress4278 said:
Hi Gerardo,
I'm not familiar with the program you mentioned. Would you tell me more please?

hi
this is a computer program that really does work great with audio applications, my friend Bill let me borrow it and i was totally blow away
with it. no more picks & pops and hiss on my recordings. the program is DARTPRO32 much better than C.P.E. on cleanning the tracks, thanks Gerardo

..."it lets everything below 50-60-K pass thru w/o altering it"

50,000 to 60,000 Hz? What good is that, seeing as the accepted threshold of human hearing is 20,000 Hz. Also, clicks and pops are below 20,000 as well. Please explain.

BrownRB said:

50,000 to 60,000 Hz? What good is that, seeing as the accepted threshold of human hearing is 20,000 Hz. Also, clicks and pops are below 20,000 as well. Please explain.

22,000 I believe in some cases, though 20,000 is a good average. If you're over 20 years old, you'd be lucky to hear above 15,000. BTW, I'm no expert, but I didn't think vinyl could hit frequencies that high, topping out at around 40,000 max?
That said, software manufaturers have been known to get their information wrong? They might mean with minimal filtering, or information over that freq?

BrownRB said:

The point is that a CD-4 demodulator MUST see the ultrasonic carrier signals at between 30K and 40K Hz in order to properly decode the quadraphonic material. While you can't hear it, it is necessary for it to be there. The Burwen units though, are line level devices and I doubt that even with the correct frequency response that they will work when a moving magnet input is seen. I use two TNE7000 units for my quad LPs. They are placed after the decoders and demodulator, one for the front and one for the rear. Mike.

The reason I mentioned 50-60 KZ is because this is the frequency where most ticks and pops operate. The unit lets the music pass and listens for activity in this range.
Lance

I have been using Magix Music Studio to do this. I can do it in two ways:

- Make a noise template of a tick. Then use the de-noiser to remove ticks.

- Find each individual tick and edit the waveform.

I have restored many good LPs to CD this way.

Back