Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually yes but for some reason as soon as I switch tv off when listening to these Atmos tracks through Apple TV it stops. Apple TV is connected to Marantz SR7012 via hdmi and Marantz to tv also by hdmi, have seen similar comments about this on other forums no idea why it happens play music via oppo connected the same way with tv off no problem.

No. My Tv is ARC, not eARC. If I need eARC, why my Tv is atmos enabled?
ARC can't support Atmos, only eARC can support Atmos. I would presume Atmos enabled means that the sound bar can play it as if it's coming from overhead. Atmos enabled doesn't mean what we would think it means (that it plays Atmos material).

Usually yes but for some reason as soon as I switch tv off when listening to these Atmos tracks through Apple TV it stops. Apple TV is connected to Marantz SR7012 via hdmi and Marantz to tv also by hdmi, have seen similar comments about this on other forums no idea why it happens play music via oppo connected the same way with tv off no problem.
Same here re: tv needs to be on.

Turn off the HDMI-CEC in the TV settings, should do the trick.

To remove the confusion around Atmos. In films, an Atmos track is usually based on a DD + or TrueHD track (the so-called core) plus the audioobjects (up to 128). This is a "downmix" to 5.1 or 7.1 so that the Atmos track can also be played on non-Atmos setups as a discret DD + / TrueHD track. If an Atmos setup is available, input information can be seen on the AVR as "Atmos" or as "Atmos with DD+/THD Core etc." Otherwise just DD + / TrueHD. The Atmos track can also exist without a 5.1 / 7.1 core (only the information about the audio objects exists (up to 128)). For example for PC games with live object rendering
Thanks for posting, I think this is a key passage. Even if my AVR x6400h is capable of playing an Atmos track, it won't because I have is a 5-speaker set up. As you suggest, it's fairly easy to double-check this. I've played the Atmos mix from the Blu-Ray disc of Abbey Road, and what I see on my AVR display is the "Dolby True HD" core. So, perhaps disregard my post about Android emulators on PC, as they might work for someone with a real Atmos set up.

Thanks for posting, I think this is a key passage. Even if my AVR x6400h is capable of playing an Atmos track, it won't because I have is a 5-speaker set up. As you suggest, it's fairly easy to double-check this. I've played the Atmos mix from the Blu-Ray disc of Abbey Road, and what I see on my AVR display is the "Dolby True HD" core. So, perhaps disregard my post about Android emulators on PC, as they might work for someone with a real Atmos set up.

You will still get the Atmos mix, just without the additional channels, so it will down mix to 5.1 in your case.

You will still get the Atmos mix, just without the additional channels, so it will down mix to 5.1 in your case.
I’ve tried with an Android emulator on Windows but it doesn’t work unfortunately. The tidal app says my receiver is not compatible. I guess I’ll have to wait a bit more.

I’ve listened to some of these mixes in stereo, and it was great to hear the beginning of take 10 for Riders on the Storm. But most of the pop/hip-hop stuff is not my cup of tea...

I’ve tried with an Android emulator on Windows but it doesn’t work unfortunately. The tidal app says my receiver is not compatible. I guess I’ll have to wait a bit more.

I’ve listened to some of these mixes in stereo, and it was great to hear the beginning of take 10 for Riders on the Storm. But most of the pop/hip-hop stuff is not my cup of tea...

I gotcha, you are running from a PC to your AVR. Yeah, that's sadly a no go. :(

You are Welcome :) sometimes it is a bit confusing with atmos. if you have any further questions, feel free to send them.
Which Android emulator have you used?

Last edited:
Back