Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may not be the most appropriate place to post this, but I think it's relevant and interesting.

Since going back to Tidal for Atmos, I'm increasingly interested in this Sony 360 Reality Audio format. And not so much for the purpose of listening to it through headphones (although some of those tracks sound great!). I don't think Sony would develop an entirely new object-based format and have thousands of songs mixed for it just for the sake of listening through headphones. Many may be upmixes though, not sure about that.

The article below (yes, over a year old) makes mention of both a headphone demo AND a demo in a 'sphere' of speakers; I'm not sure how that format would have been decoded in such a sphere, but it is interesting to read this. I'm hopeful that any existing AVRs w/ the other object based codecs (Atmos, DTSX, Auro 3D) would be able to support a new one via firmware update, as I won't be buying a new AVR just for this.

Regardless, this is an interesting read, and with Sony rolling out the PS5 later this year, it wouldn't surprise me if something like this happens. I've been hoping for Atmos on PS4 for awhile, and it's just never happened (meanwhile, XBOX does support Atmos). I also wonder if the reasoning for Dolby to do away with the Stereo PLII upmixing is not a direct result of all this. Sony was actually supposed to do a big PS5 press release today, but it's been pushed. Anyways, this is a good read; the rest of 2020 should be pretty interesting for the surround world!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...ints-at-overdue-new-ps4-feature/#1af700c55aca

Take The Allman Brother Band tracks.

Yes, please do.
Take them far away and burn ‘em.

That’s your example?

Ramblin‘ Man is an unmitigated embarrassment — the worst track on Tidal. Now I know why. Sound quality was so awful I never got to noticing the surround was fake.

New thread needed: FAKE ATMOS TRACKS TO STAY FAR AWAY FROM.

I decided to give Tidal a whirl and signed up for a 3 month HiFi trial via Best Buy:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tidal-...scribers-only-digital/6315566.p?skuId=6315566
Logged into Tidal via my AVR and was able to find the Atmos tracks folks here have been talking about. However when I go to play a track, a different (random) song in the playlist is chosen instead and I just get a Connecting.... message. Non Atmos tracks stream fine. Not quite sure what the issue is... I don’t think it’s my WiFi connection.

I made a stupid search entering "Greg Penny" and to my surprise I was able to get all songs for which is credited. After a visual inspection, I was able to create a playlist with his Atmos mixes:
https://tidal.com/playlist/493d4ebe-19b3-4ba3-a229-cb9e178324d6

Interesting ... I’ve listened to half of that list and not a one I didn’t like. The Gambler and Rocket Man are both demo material.

I’ll now use your list to hear the rest. Honestly though, I eventually plan to check out every single Atmos track on Tidal.

While waiting for my Fire TV Stick 4K to arrive, I've been adding Atmos albums (Norah Jones, all the classic Blue Notes, the Barenboim Beethoven symphonies, Sheku Kanneh-Mason, etc.) to my collection--and culling tracks from the various Atmos playlists that Tidal has assembled and that you-all have been sharing. (Thanks!)

Question: is anyone else in North America getting a "This track is not ready for playback yet" error on the Beck Paisley Park tracks? I've tried again and again, and can't get any of them to play.

I decided to give Tidal a whirl and signed up for a 3 month HiFi trial via Best Buy:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tidal-...scribers-only-digital/6315566.p?skuId=6315566
Logged into Tidal via my AVR and was able to find the Atmos tracks folks here have been talking about. However when I go to play a track, a different (random) song in the playlist is chosen instead and I just get a Connecting.... message. Non Atmos tracks stream fine. Not quite sure what the issue is... I don’t think it’s my WiFi connection.
When you say you logged in via your AVR what exactly are you using cos at the moment it’s only playable through Apple TV 4K, Amazon 4K Firestick and I believe the latest Shield I think!

Last edited:
I’ve been holding out but I fear I cannot any longer. It may be time to upgrade to an Atmos-capable AVR. Unfortunately, the ones capable of delivering at least 5.1.4 (9 channels) are still quite pricey. Was hoping to wait a year and get a last-year’s model on clearance. Like the Denon AVR-X3660H.

Yes, please do.
Take them far away and burn ‘em.

That’s your example?

Ramblin‘ Man is an unmitigated embarrassment — the worst track on Tidal. Now I know why. Sound quality was so awful I never got to noticing the surround was fake.

New thread needed: FAKE ATMOS TRACKS TO STAY FAR AWAY FROM.
I found the Allman brothers tracks to be unenjoyable as well. I see from a post above that David Leonard mixed those. In looking at his list, some I liked a lot (Steve Winwood's - Higher Love), some I thought were 'meh' (J. Giels Band), and some were outright not good like the Allman brothers. Maybe there was a learning curve there with Atmos remixing, or he had very differing quality of elements to start with?

Back