Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point.

I guess I'd argue that it's the total bitrate that matters here.

Netflix only limits the audio bitrate of the total pushed because their primary focus is on video.

Since Tidal's primary focus is audio, they should use that same total bitrate and apply it to audio.

and this is proven out if you watch any "videos" on Tidal, they are low bitrate and suck so Tidal is just skimping on bitrate as a cost cutting measure so they can have more "channels" or streams fit into their allocated bandwidth that they pay for.

IOW, Tidal charges you $19.99 for high def but doesn't actually supply that to you because they don't want to have to pay for more bandwidth which would limit their profits.

It's pure greed and I don't like supporting greedy companies.

and this is proven out if you watch any "videos" on Tidal, they are low bitrate and suck so Tidal is just skimping on bitrate as a cost cutting measure so they can have more "channels" or streams fit into their allocated bandwidth that they pay for.

IOW, Tidal charges you $19.99 for high def but doesn't actually supply that to you because they don't want to have to pay for more bandwidth which would limit their profits.

It's pure greed and I don't like supporting greedy companies.
Check out the offer I posted. $£3 for 3 months.

Three new albums added: Herbie Hancock Riot (mostly reverb on the rears but did only check first track), Glass Animals Dreamland (nice Atmos mix, first time I listen to this music...) and Vivaldi's Four seasons (wrong title as the album contains the 12 violin concertos, not very discreet but immersive mix at very first sight)

Three new albums added: Herbie Hancock Riot (mostly reverb on the rears but did only check first track), Glass Animals Dreamland (nice Atmos mix, first time I listen to this music...) and Vivaldi's Four seasons (wrong title as the album contains the 12 violin concertos, not very discreet but immersive mix at very first sight)

Thanks for this update, @César. I was gonna say: Riot...what a strange choice--an odds & sods album of outtakes and alternate takes. But the album that's actually been added is the classic Speak Like a Child, whose opening track is "Riot."

Do you happen to have a link for the "Four Seasons"? From your description I assume it's different from this one with Itzhak Perlman:
https://listen.tidal.com/album/129783475
I don't know a thing about Glass Animals, but their website is retro-cool, and it's encouraging that we're getting an Atmos mix of their new album on or just after its release date. (Gives me hope that we'll get Fantastic Negrito's Have You Lost Your Mind Yet? when it drops this Friday.)

Last edited:
Thanks for this update, @César. I was gonna say: Riot...what a strange choice--an odds & sods album of outtakes and alternate takes. But the album that's actually been added is the classic Speak Like a Child, whose opening track is "Riot."

Do you happen to have a link for the "Four Seasons"? From your description I assume it's different from this one with Itzhak Perlman:
I don't know a thing about Glass Animals, but their website is retro-cool, and it's encouraging that we're getting an Atmos mix of their new album on or just after its release date. (Gives me hope that we'll get Fantastic Negrito's Have You Lost Your Mind Yet? when it drops this Friday.)
Here you have:
https://tidal.com/album/151122617It is indeed The Four Seasons, don't know what I was thinking about this morning

I swear it was Riot album what was appearing earlier today! Now it's Speak Like a Child, weird!!!

Herbie Hancock Riot (mostly reverb on the rears but did only check first track)...

I haven't listened carefully and fully to this one yet but wonder if they may have used a 're-amping' process as described by Roey Hershkovitz, Capital Studios, which has been used on vintage Jazz Atmos mixes such as 'Kind of Blue'.

He talks a bit about that process here around 28:32

I found the entire segment with Roey interesting.

I haven't listened carefully and fully to this one yet but wonder if they may have used a 're-amping' process as described by Roey Hershkovitz, Capital Studios, which has been used on vintage Jazz Atmos mixes such as 'Kind of Blue'.

He talks a bit about that process here around 28:32

I found the entire segment with Roey interesting.

Yes--Steve Genewick more or less reconfirmed on another thread that that's the technique they used. Dave Rideau discussed the process more explicitly in that special "Atmos" issue of Mix magazine that came out in May; see p. 13.

My suggestion, if you haven't already done so, is to start over using the mobile app. It gives you more flexibility and options, plus a way to easily store and recall settings.
Yes I have the app. Going to re-do the calibration this weekend, have read up a bit more on how to do it so should be better this time.

Back to Atmos Music : Would be great if Roon included the ability to play it, would then not need to use the Apple TV.

Still wondering what's up with the thousands of songs already mixed by engineers working for UMG et al.

I'm also wondering if / when we'll get to hear some of these Sony 360 stuff (besides on headphones and the Echo studio).
Are these from the quad source ?
I guess Sony thinks quad or 5.1 aren't enough to get people excited, so they had to convert them to 360.

Sony_360.jpg

Back