Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But do they have any actual customer service?

I'm genuinely curious, because that utter lack of meaningful customer service may be the single most infuriating thing about Tidal. I'm also thinking ahead, hoping that Dolby has granted Amazon and Tidal a duopoly on Atmos only for a limited time, and that eventually they'll open it up to everyone. (But what in the world are they waiting for?)
Qobuz has decent customer service and I'm in a group on Facebook that is run by Qobuz's David Solomon. Usually if you send him a PM or a message through the group, it's responded to very quickly.

As far as Atmos, David said it isn't an option for them in present here and now but...
Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 2.50.47 PM.png

Coming to the party late and maybe there should be (or is) a separate thread on Amazon and Dolby Atmos but as far as I can tell Amazon's Atmos is only for their smart speakers and can't be decoded to surround on a normal surround system?

Coming to the party late and maybe there should be (or is) a separate thread on Amazon and Dolby Atmos but as far as I can tell Amazon's Atmos is only for their smart speakers and can't be decoded to surround on a normal surround system?

Exactly. Not yet, anyway. But Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV are among the devices that (again, so far) will let you get Tidal's Atmos to your AVR.

I think we're all hoping that eventually we can eliminate the middleman and just stream Atmos directly to our Atmos-capable AVRs.

I don't think there's a special promotion going on currently. The standard offer is 30 days free, but periodically they do 60 days free, or 3 months for 3 bucks (or 3 quid)...

Also, @zeerround, it's got to be a Fire Stick 4K running the latest version of the OS for that device. We discovered the hard way that, contrary to Tidal's somewhat misleading rollout info, 1st and 2d-gen Fire Sticks won't work.

My Tidal subscription deal comes to an end in a couple of days... I only joined for Atmos. I don't think I'll carry on with it though. 🙁 A few reasons unfortunately - some of which are not the fault of Tidal... But the (very) lossy streaming is a big own goal for me and probably the biggest negative...

I will also update in the streaming v blu ray Atmos thread...

hmm... Apparently I have two or maybe three of these. No idea where the other ones are. The last one ordered in Feb or 2018 so...

Don't think I'd plunk down $50 for a 4k stick, since I'm not using the one I have. But I'll keep watching this space.

Thanks

hmm... Apparently I have two or maybe three of these. No idea where the other ones are. The last one ordered in Feb or 2018 so...

Don't think I'd plunk down $50 for a 4k stick, since I'm not using the one I have. But I'll keep watching this space.

Thanks
Coincidentally, Best Buy just sent me a breathless announcement about a new generation of Fire products, so maybe the "old" 4Ks will now come down in price.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/new-from-amazon

My Tidal subscription deal comes to an end in a couple of days... I only joined for Atmos. I don't think I'll carry on with it though. 🙁 A few reasons unfortunately - some of which are not the fault of Tidal... But the (very) lossy streaming is a big own goal for me and probably the biggest negative...

I will also update in the streaming v blu ray Atmos thread...
I also have stopped my subscription Will...:(
For all the reasons you have stated and the fact their promise of all these new Atmos tracks, albums have yet to materialise.
I also found I was not using the Tidal service enough to justify the monthly cost.
I still revert back to my tried and tested Amazon music playlist (which is free!!)

The concept is brilliant but they sure need to tweak, customer service, lossy streaming and general accessibility.

But this is only a pause until I see how streaming of Atmos develops.

Still a huge fan of of Atmos....if done right, it gives me the ultimate listening pleasure.

I also have stopped my subscription Will...:(
For all the reasons you have stated and the fact their promise of all these new Atmos tracks, albums have yet to materialise.
I also found I was not using the Tidal service enough to justify the monthly cost.
I still revert back to my tried and tested Amazon music playlist (which is free!!)

The concept is brilliant but they sure need to tweak, customer service, lossy streaming and general accessibility.

But this is only a pause until I see how streaming of Atmos develops.

Still a huge fan of of Atmos....if done right, it gives me the ultimate listening pleasure.
I still hanging in there.Just renewed for another month.The Kraftwerk catalog alone makes it worth it for me so far,along with some other nice ones.The sound quality does not bother me.I can hear on the new Boka Shade,that the BD has better fidelity,but not by much.The biggest problem to me is the low volume.It has scared the shit out of me several times when Tidal decide to play a non Atmos track that I not even have in my playlists. :cautious:

Just logged into Tidal for the first time in weeks. Was pleasantly surprised to find more Atmos albums. Never really listened to Yello before, but boy does their music work with Atmos. Discrete height activity all over the place. Also listened to Diplo and it was decent, but not quite so active of a mix. Might hang on for another month, but not sure yet.

I saw this ad for Roku in my e-mail (I have a Roku stick that includes a Tidal app) and noticed it says support for Dolby Atmos in the Ultra version, I'm wondering if Tidal has plans to extend the Atmos on through to the Rokus (sorry if this has been brought up before?)

Roku Dolby Atmos.jpg

I finally set up my Amazon Fire Cube last night, still waiting on my 4 XLR cables for my ceiling speakers amp. But I did listen to a few tracks of Dolby Atmos Herbie Hancock in 5.1 and I was impressed. Certainly easy enough to see what is available in Tidal ATMOS. Purchased a subscription to Disney + and they have a lot of movies in ATMOS, just waiting for these 4 cables, the final piece.

Back