Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20210307_151847.jpg

What a great mix better than Booka and Yello.

@J. PUPSTER

So, this is why everytime somebody asks me about SmartTVs I tell them to get a separate, dedicated streamer. They will ALWAYS be more capable than your TV as long as you don't completely cheap out.

I use Tidal on my nVidia Shield TV Pro, which may be overboard for some, but the new Chromecast with Google TV or whatever it's called and/or Rokus are more inexpensive and way better than any smart TV.

Another main benefit is that you can upgrade them independently from your TV, and they will almost certainly be better supported long term. And they generally have better hardware specs than the TV does when you buy them.

Further, eARC is notoriously fickle. And if you don't have the right HDMI cables in your chain it will make normal HDMI problems amplified. And those are a lot of times very hard to troubleshoot.

Also, if it's Android based OS, and generally speaking a lot of other OSes, they treat audio differently from video. And some devices like the Shield TV devices compensate for this with OS level drivers. Though Tidal uses it's own decoder. Same as Kodi which of course does multichannel.
Well I do have a ROKU (stick) which I input in the back HDMI of my Oppo 205, and ROKU has Tidal app, but I don't believe ROKU supports Atmos at this time AFAIK, (except maybe on their ROKU-ULTRA ) but I'd still need to update my AVR and speaker set-up.
And then there's the question: does the ROKU Tidal app support Atmos?

Don't think it supports Tidal...the app on my roku tv does not...

I'm not a subscriber, but for those who are, a few Atlantic soul classics appear to have snuck onto the service:

Aretha Franklin - Bridge Over Troubled Water
Donny Hathaway - Someday We'll All Be Free
Ben E. King - Supernatural Thing, Pt. 1
Spinners - I'll Be Around

Beck was nominated for a grammy with what I thought was his atmos track on tidal but I think the grammy was just for the stereo version?

View attachment 64621

What a great mix better than Booka and Yello.

I did a quick listen to this album.
With respect to the Atmos moving sounds I think it is a little different from Yello-Point. I t does not make individual touches on each location, but, instead, a more panning of some instruments noise around the ceiling and sides. Much content on Tops.
This panning makes much more use of my Wides speakers than other mixes. You feel really how the pan moves from the ceiling to the lateral sides to the rears, exercising many speakers.

It's nice to have new Atmos mix to enjoy the moving sounds, with different music styles.

Atmos edition available exclusively through Tidal. The CD on Amazon is just a stereo CD.

I'm so fed up with Tidal, after 1 "trial" month that I ended up paying because of their misleading communication, I closed the account, and now I'm getting charged another month. This is plain BS, I didnt use the account for all this month long, and they said that it's non refundable. I cannot remove my credit card either.

I'm so fed up with Tidal, after 1 "trial" month that I ended up paying because of their misleading communication, I closed the account, and now I'm getting charged another month. This is plain BS, I didnt use the account for all this month long, and they said that it's non refundable. I cannot remove my credit card either.

Always use paypal for trial rates with stuff like this. Simply remove the account from paypal immediately after starting the subscription.

Compatible TV-(Android) connected devices include:

• Apple TV 4K (running tvOS 13 or later)
  • Fire TV (Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV Stick 2016, Fire TV Gen 3 2017, Fire TV Cube 1st Gen or 2nd Gen)
  • Nvidia Shield TV and Shield TV Pro (2019 and newer models)
I had an Android TV but it was 4 years old and did not work. Must have eARC

Gents, is something wrong with Tidal today? Atmos tracks just play in stereo and all the Atmos suggestions that used to appear in the initial screen are just gone. I'm using Apple TV 4K, never had any issues so far.
Can anyone else try today and let me know if Atmos still works for you?

Gents, is something wrong with Tidal today? Atmos tracks just play in stereo and all the Atmos suggestions that used to appear in the initial screen are just gone. I'm using Apple TV 4K, never had any issues so far.
Sorry to hear Cesar, I have the 4K Amazon Fire Cube and my Tidal Atmos works fine. Receiver reads Dolby Atmos and confirmed play back is Atmos, listening to Ringo's new EP now.

Might have to reinstall Tidal. A complete PITA but that has worked for me, in the past.

Back