Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very weird, I switched it off in the morning when I wrote the text here and now when I tried again with the idea to reinstall the app, it's all working. I've got the Atmos new additions in the welcome page and they play in Atmos too. I guess it was a glitch of the application in the morning.
By the way, very conservative mix of Ringo's EP, but nice music for a gentleman in his 80s

Very weird, I switched it off in the morning when I wrote the text here and now when I tried again with the idea to reinstall the app, it's all working. I've got the Atmos new additions in the welcome page and they play in Atmos too. I guess it was a glitch of the application in the morning.
By the way, very conservative mix of Ringo's EP, but nice music for a gentleman in his 80s
All's well that ends well Cesar..... :QQlove
And an added bonus ...Ringo refreshing his tonsils!! :D

At last Tidal has started adding albums that are more rock oriented with Atmos audio.
Ringos album came a while ago.
And now we have
Tom Petty - Wildflowers & all the rest
John Lennon - Plastic Ono band
Eagles - Live from the Forum
Ramones - Ramones
Linkin Park - Hybrid theory

Not all of them are my first choice of music but we are in the right field of music i think
Let´s keep them coming now!

At last Tidal has started adding albums that are more rock oriented with Atmos audio.
And now we have
Ramones - Ramones

Not all of them are my first choice of music but we are in the right field of music i think

Wow, The Ramones - Ramones in Atmos? That would be the first time any of their music has been mixed in surround that I’m aware of (not counting Joey Ramone’s solo record on DVD-A). How does the mix sound?

Wow, The Ramones - Ramones in Atmos? That would be the first time any of their music has been mixed in surround that I’m aware of (not counting Joey Ramone’s solo record on DVD-A). How does the mix sound?
I think the mix is splendid.
If this mix gets released officially i think it will sell very well.
Hopefully more people than people who have Tidal will get the chance to hear it.
I was actually a bit surprised because i thought it would be difficult to mix this in Atmos but it sounds better and stronger than ever now

I'm not a subscriber, but for those who are, a few Atlantic soul classics appear to have snuck onto the service:

Aretha Franklin - Bridge Over Troubled Water
Donny Hathaway - Someday We'll All Be Free
Ben E. King - Supernatural Thing, Pt. 1
Spinners - I'll Be Around
In surround, as in Atmos? Really?

I agree with The Ramones - Ramones. That's a nice mix.
To date, I think the biggest surprises for me have been Battiato's La Voce Del Padrone and Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory. Both albums benefit from the surround treatment. The former also includes some revisionism (I know the stereo mix well). The latter sounds particularly good in surround, every single song. I highly recommend these tracks: One Step Closer, Crawling, In the End, Cure for the Itch.

Earlier today, I sampled Julia Michaels' Not in Chronological Order. The mix is gentle but immersive at times. I don't like the music.

I've also sampled Zhu's Dreamland 2021. Well, this one is a proper Atmos mix! The music quality is questionable but I'm sure you'll enjoy the single: "Sky is crying". Recommended.

And now we have
Ramones - Ramones

Is it just me or is the Eagles Live from the Forum sound quality really weak for a high profile modern live recording? I’m not just talking about the surround aspect, the mix just lacks any punch / excitement. Very disappointed. Maybe the blu-ray is better. Glad I didn’t fork over $ for that one though.

Is it just me or is the Eagles Live from the Forum sound quality really weak for a high profile modern live recording? I’m not just talking about the surround aspect, the mix just lacks any punch / excitement. Very disappointed. Maybe the blu-ray is better. Glad I didn’t fork over $ for that one though.
I have the BD and have seen it twice,much better sounding than the Atmos mix.Almost nothing in the height speakers,and an overall diffuse sound. :cautious:

Listening to Herbie Hancock's Speak Like a Child as I type. I am not impressed by this Atmos mix. All I can hear is a bit of reverb in the surround channels. Perhaps, this was an upmix? Anyway, highly recommended for the music, not for the surround mix :)

Agreed. I remember Steve Genewick taking umbrage at the suggestion, just after the first big batch of Atmos albums & tracks appeared on Tidal last year, that the Blue Notes were "upmixes." I think what he and Dave Rideau did with those albums must be similar to what they reported having done with Kind of Blue (their Atmos mix of that one is still unreleased, AFAIK), as Rideau explained in this May 2020 Mix magazine article:

. . . Steve Genewick and I secured 24/96k digital transfers from the original Ampex Model 300 half-inch, 3-track recording. The raw transfers were stunning when we brought up the faders. So the order of the day became: Do no harm. It would be a crime to add anything that might distract from these unbelievable performances. We panned our three tracks across the front of the room, the LCR, and experimented with different live and artificial chambers to add space to the performance.​
In the end we settled on re-amping the original three tracks with the “stereo” panning we created over a pair of speakers set up in Capitol Studio A’s live space. The mics were arranged with the intent to mimic the Atmos speaker array in Capitol Studio C, where we were mixing. After printing the mics back into our session, we then spent days adjusting levels.​

Fascinating technique, and the same principle worked really well a decade ago for the Monster "SuperDisc" 5.1 mix of Sketches of Spain (for instance). But with all due respect: technically speaking, these may not be upmixes, but from the listener's point of view--in the case of most of the Blue Notes on Tidal, anyway--that's often a distinction without a difference. That said: if Blue Note released a reasonably-priced BDA box set with hi-res versions of what's currently streaming on Tidal, I'd probably buy it.

According to TIDAL, with my android phone (which has a setting for ATMOS), I should be able to experience this in my headphones. I got back on TIDAL to check it out just for shits and giggles. It sounds no different to me at all. Am I doing something wrong? Luckily I am only paying $2.00 for 2 months as an enticement to come back. Also on a different topic- 360 Reality Audio still sounds like crap.

@Bob Romano Yep seems like nonsense to me. My phone is Atmos capable. Sounds fine but not at all immersive. For me the advantage is that I can see Atmos tracks within the Tidal app, then add them to my collection, which I can then easily find on the firestick. People without Atmos phones can't even see the Atmos songs. Quite odd.

Sorry, I'm going to take that back. I listened now with good headphones, on tidal, comparing atmos and master tracks and there is something going on. I listened to Petty first, because I know the mixes really well. I can't say it sounds better in atmos, but there are some subtle differences. I really like Something Under Heaven, and it's mix is the most different in atmos. Also not different as in there's just added reverb. Tones are adjusted a little, but all is quite subtle.
I'm not that familiar with the Booka Shade album but listened on atmos and it was much more immersive (?), with sounds moving around inside my head, I guess is the way to say it. For example at :26 on Plexus 3am there is that snarly synth that comes in for 5 seconds. In atmos it moves back and forth, sort of in the top. Stereo version it doesn't move.

Back