Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esimms86

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Having seen the one night movie screening of Soundgarden in 360 surround, I was not that impressed, certainly not discrete just a loud wall of sound. I have a Tidal account at work and if I thought they would have some sort of surround 5.1 or Atmos I would buy some little speakers, (surround system) for work at my desktop, but this certainly will be a wait and see.
My initial feeling towards 360 surround is almost in the same context as a soundbar, not for the pure surround sound lover.

Having seen the one night movie screening of Soundgarden in 360 surround, I was not that impressed, certainly not discrete just a loud wall of sound. I have a Tidal account at work and if I thought they would have some sort of surround 5.1 or Atmos I would buy some little speakers, (surround system) for work at my desktop, but this certainly will be a wait and see.
My initial feeling towards 360 surround is almost in the same context as a soundbar, not for the pure surround sound lover.

Unfortunately, Markie, a LOT of theater and concert venues surmise THE LOUDER the BETTER ...... Absolutely BS as it devolves into a WALL of CHAOS!

Only for Androids devices for now. It doesn't work on my desktop computer or my iPhone.

I'm hoping that the Tidal phone APK that supports Atmos becomes available at apkmirror.

It likely could be sideloaded on the Nvidia Shield TV which can bitstream to an AV receiver.

So far it appears Atmos is not supported on the existing Nvidia Shield TV Tidal app.

Last edited:
So if you pay for TIDAL and your AVR has TIDAL as a server, you're SOL?

These guys sure do know how to encourage piracy. Still not sure if anything is mixed from multitracks, is there any confirmation? Dolby aren't answering many questions.

This article has a little more information, including specific compatible android devices. Interestingly, it states that recent iphones support Atmos, but are not yet compatible. Also: “TIDAL is working closely with its artist-owners, including JAY-Z, to mix their catalogues in Dolby Atmos – which are expected to become available in 2020.” I wonder if there’s a way to stream this from an android device to your home theater system? I don’t understand why you would want to play Atmos through an android device’s speakers or headphones. I’m hoping this will eventually be enabled for real Atmos setups, as I already subscribe to Tidal Hi-Fi.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pr...nnounce-dolby-atmos-support-on-their-platform

This article has a little more information, including specific compatible android devices. Interestingly, it states that recent iphones support Atmos, but are not yet compatible. Also: “TIDAL is working closely with its artist-owners, including JAY-Z, to mix their catalogues in Dolby Atmos – which are expected to become available in 2020.” I wonder if there’s a way to stream this from an android device to your home theater system? I don’t understand why you would want to play Atmos through an android device’s speakers or headphones. I’m hoping this will eventually be enabled for real Atmos setups, as I already subscribe to Tidal Hi-Fi.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pr...nnounce-dolby-atmos-support-on-their-platform

Let us know if there are any developments on this front, will you Odys? (I.e., on the ability to stream to a home theater system rather than to a small selection of phones and tablets, where you're effectively limited to Atmos-for-headphones.) I see that Tidal is running a $4-for-4-months promotion right now, and while I'm really not interested in streaming at all, I'd be more tempted to try it if there were an easy way to stream Atmos from Tidal to my AVR.

P.S.: thanks for posting that article. Impossible to find anything comparably informative--including a specific list of supported devices--anywhere on Tidal's site. (Poignant to see the Oppo brand name on that list, by the way.)

Last edited:
Not really interested in 360 surround but if goes to true Dolby Atmos this could be great.
When I reinvent my rig in a couple of months getting a dedicated streamer, don't know which one yet, is in the plan.
I look at the cost effect, even if I was to spend $2000.00 on a higher end streamer I think it would save me money in the long end as I can't tell you how much music I have bought to listen to once or barely.
In fact I was thinking of deleting some of the music from my NAS to free up space, I'm at 5.5TB now so why make it work harder than it needs to. I would still have all the music on the external hard drives in case I ever changed my mind and wanted something back.

Picture copied from the article. Appears to be an example of what appears to be songs mixed in atmos just for Tidal. I wonder if they are true atmos or just some upmix?

1586887170475.jpeg

Yeah, I wonder the same. But, can they call it Dolby Atmos, if it's just an upmix? Beats me....

Well, presumably they've been mixed for true Atmos. But at the moment that's a moot point, since the only way you can play them back is through headphones or through the Android device's built-in speaker(s). So you're really only getting the version of Atmos that's "rendered" psycho-acoustically for headphones (or mono/stereo speakers). Pale imitation of the real thing.

Well, presumably they've been mixed for true Atmos. But at the moment that's a moot point, since the only way you can play them back is through headphones or through the Android device's built-in speaker(s). So you're really only getting the version of Atmos that's "rendered" psycho-acoustically for headphones (or mono/stereo speakers). Pale imitation of the real thing.

but that would mean the songs are in a vault somewhere mixed in true atmos so at least a glimmer of a possibility that they could be released in true atmos sometimes in the future

Not really interested in 360 surround but if goes to true Dolby Atmos this could be great.
When I reinvent my rig in a couple of months getting a dedicated streamer, don't know which one yet, is in the plan.
I look at the cost effect, even if I was to spend $2000.00 on a higher end streamer I think it would save me money in the long end as I can't tell you how much music I have bought to listen to once or barely.
In fact I was thinking of deleting some of the music from my NAS to free up space, I'm at 5.5TB now so why make it work harder than it needs to. I would still have all the music on the external hard drives in case I ever changed my mind and wanted something back.
Everybody’s situation and priorities are different and I would never be one to tell someone else how to spend their money. I can, however, tell you that I personally(speaking only for myself) got into computer audio because it allowed me to play any music in my collection essentially at will. For instance, I love being able to act on those seemingly out of the blue impulses to, all of a sudden decide to play song X right now. Admittedly, it’s a luxury and I am very much aware of just how fortunate I am on so many levels. For that reason, I personally have no problem with, at least temporarily, foregoing the purchase of a desired piece of audio kit in order to invest instead in more NAS storage. Now, if I had an unlimited budget and the freedom to place whatever objects appealed to me in my shared domestic space(he says as he drools over the thought of purchasing an exasound multichannel DAC and accompanying server for maybe $7k all in...).

Everybody’s situation and priorities are different and I would never be one to tell someone else how to spend their money. I can, however, tell you that I personally(speaking only for myself) got into computer audio because it allowed me to play any music in my collection essentially at will. For instance, I love being able to act on those seemingly out of the blue impulses to, all of a sudden decide to play song X right now. Admittedly, it’s a luxury and I am very much aware of just how fortunate I am on so many levels. For that reason, I personally have no problem with, at least temporarily, foregoing the purchase of a desired piece of audio kit in order to invest instead in more NAS storage. Now, if I had an unlimited budget and the freedom to place whatever objects appealed to me in my shared domestic space(he says as he drools over the thought of purchasing an exasound multichannel DAC and accompanying server for maybe $7k all in...).
I agree, I have a 10TB NAS and the Exasound38MX mch DAC, really is wonderful. It is wonderful to just sit and randomly play stereo and MCH music at will. JRiver is my player and I love it.

Back