Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, if you're looking for classical and/or "New Music" substance, I think you're mostly stuck with Sono Luminus and 2L so far. But at least you don't have to pay Tidal monthly in perpetuity to hear those.

They have Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers - Moanin' in Atmos but haven't been able to find Miles Davis yet...

IMG_5880.jpg

Yep, I'm having the same problem - I really don't see the logic in not allowing a 7.1/5.1 downmix.

It may be an HDMI/HDCP issue - for example, the Netflix app won't output DD+ Atmos (or 4K) unless everything in the playback chain (both TV and AVR) is HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant. If those conditions are met it'll output Atmos, even if your speaker setup is "only" 5.1 speakers - there's no number of speakers requirement for Atmos, as we've seen from the various soundbars and the Amazon Echo Studio.

It may seem like a pain, but having this stuff fully copy protected (just like all Disney+ and Netflix 4K content) is a crucial part of their business model - if someone on the internet rips all of this stuff and shares it on day one, who's going to sign up for Tidal (or the other streaming services that do/will provide Atmos) to hear it?

I updated the Fire Stick and that didn’t seem to do it. Everything—Atmos or not—is coming in as DD+ 2.0. Can you walk me through exactly what you did?

On Apple TV 4K - I was getting 2.0 PCM at first this afternoon. Then I went to the App Store and updated Tidal. That did the trick. Make sure all devices and the Tidal app is updated.

Couple of first impressions... There's a lot of content to go through, which is cool. Some tracks are really good. Intros from the rears and a good use of surround. And a nice balanced mix. And some interesting mixing choices. On Rufus - Tell Me Something Good the main vocals are in the rears! :eek: Riders On The Storm has thunder in the height channels which is a pretty cool effect.

But some tracks sound a little bland or a bit odd to me... I guess I need to give them a proper listen...

I compared Lyrnyd Skynrd - Gimme Three Steps with the 5.1 BDA, and the 5.1 sounds a bit better to me... Folsom Prison Blues sounds a bit like Johnny Cash on karaoke?!

And it all kinda sounds a bit compressed, maybe a temporary streaming setting? But still, this is excellent to finally be able to access all this Atmos stuff we've been hearing about! Just in time for the weekend... :cool:

The Lyrnyd Skynrd stuff sounds "off" kinda more reverb then discrete, maybe it's just not mixed into the surrounds and backs like many of the other tracks...

It may be an HDMI/HDCP issue - for example, the Netflix app won't output DD+ Atmos (or 4K) unless everything in the playback chain (both TV and AVR) is HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant. If those conditions are met it'll output Atmos, even if your speaker setup is "only" 5.1 speakers - there's no number of speakers requirement for Atmos, as we've seen from the various soundbars and the Amazon Echo Studio.

It may seem like a pain, but having this stuff fully copy protected (just like all Disney+ and Netflix 4K content) is a crucial part of their business model - if someone on the internet rips all of this stuff and shares it on day one, who's going to sign up for Tidal (or the other streaming services that do/will provide Atmos) to hear it?

YES! Exactly correct, your HDMI connection/input must be HDCP 2.2 compliant, use high speed cables too, remember HDMI shares video too as part of the bandwidth.

How are the Allman Brothers tracks? I noticed a few songs ("Ramblin' Man", "Jessica") from the Brothers and Sisters album, which I've always wanted to hear in some form of multichannel.

How are the Allman Brothers tracks? I noticed a few songs ("Ramblin' Man", "Jessica") from the Brothers and Sisters album, which I've always wanted to hear in some form of multichannel.

Have not listened to Allman Bros. yet...will be soon. The wife had us switch over to Netflix for some binging of Daredevil.

Not exactly related, but one of the articles above noted that Amazon Music HD worked with Sony's 360 Reality Audio and HEOS for Denon/Marantz AVRs. Nope.

I'll monitor this thread to see if I need to get one of the above listed devices for the Tidal Atmos goodness.

Ramblin Man is a slightly different version / take than the album / single
Jessica sounds like the standard version, not too adventurous a mix

And...LIMELIGHT...

Styx Renegade
Centerfold
Call Me
Higher Love

HOLY SMOKES!!

View attachment 51773
If they have Tom Sawyer and Limelight newly mixed to Atmos, and 2020 is the 40th anniversary of Moving Pictures, is a new Atmos mix of the entire album inevitable? (Even if it comes in an expensive box, I would have to be all over that!)

Have not listened to Allman Bros. yet...will be soon. The wife had us switch over to Netflix for some binging of Daredevil.

Daredevil is great -- wish Disney would pick it up, but good luck trying to get the cast together again -- and even better, the 5.1 sound is wonderful!

You hear and 'see' every punch :cool:

Was thinking... if you're say, the proud owner of an 2021 TLX w/ELS system, and you want to take some of these tunes on the road...
Would it be possible to run an Amazon Fire Stick into the HDMI of an Oppo Blu-ray, and down-mix to 5.1/7.1, then out analog to a MOTU and record out USB to a computer?

The Kodi addon isn’t playing the Atmos tracks. I reported the problem to the addon developer.

I couldn’t find very many Atmos tracks either. Not enough to pay $23.99 per month (AUD) for an ongoing subscription, maybe In the future we’ll see a lot more, but now there’s not enough as I don’t listen to Tidal, this subscription would only be for the surround tracks.

Back