Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I registered for TIDAL HiFi 60 days Trial today.

Downloaded the App for Windows 10 and started my account. Found some Dolby Atmos Playlist and add some tracks to Favourites.

Fire Stick 4K (Fire OS 6.2.7.1) - Updated. Installed TIDAL App and linked to my account with the provided code.

The firestick cannot play Dolby Atmos. It appears briefly the message "Device cannot suppport Dolby Atmos" and Stereo is played. Really good sound, but only Stereo.

Firestick is Connected to Denon 8500, and can Play correctly Dolby Atmos from Amazon Prime Jack Ryan Series, for example.

I registered a support question to TIDAL tech support. Waiting for his answer.

I registered for TIDAL HiFi 60 days Trial today.

Downloaded the App for Windows 10 and started my account. Found some Dolby Atmos Playlist and add some tracks to Favourites.

Fire Stick 4K (Fire OS 6.2.7.1) - Updated. Installed TIDAL App and linked to my account with the provided code.

The firestick cannot play Dolby Atmos. It appears briefly the message "Device cannot suppport Dolby Atmos" and Stereo is played. Really good sound, but only Stereo.

Firestick is Connected to Denon 8500, and can Play correctly Dolby Atmos from Amazon Prime Jack Ryan Series, for example.

I registered a support question to TIDAL tech support. Waiting for his answer.
Basically in the same situation (though I'm on a 30-day Military Hi-Fi trial).

I just did a factory reset of the Firestick and at least now, in the About tab, it says it's downloading an update. Up til now I could only ask it to check for an update and it would hang there forever.
In a Facebook Dolby group it is suggested that a bug with the Firestick needs to be fixed.

Thank you. Been a long time lurker.

I noticed volume level on Tidal for Apple TV is very low. Went into settings via browser and turned off loudness normalization but maybe that's just for streaming through the web. Don't see any settings on ATV app. Anyone else using Apple TV?
It's the same for me and have to increase the volume from amp compared to other inputs. But seems to be more of a feature and haven't found how to change this. It's the same also with other material with dolby atmos (movies and for example Pearl Jam Gigaton from Apple TV) so doesn't seem to be only for Tidal. Stereo sound is a lot louder.

It's the same for me and have to increase the volume from amp compared to other inputs. But seems to be more of a feature and haven't found how to change this. It's the same also with other material with dolby atmos (movies and for example Pearl Jam Gigaton from Apple TV) so doesn't seem to be only for Tidal. Stereo sound is a lot louder.
Maybe just mastered gently? I'd certainly be ok with that.

I noticed volume level on Tidal for Apple TV is very low. Went into settings via browser and turned off loudness normalization but maybe that's just for streaming through the web. Don't see any settings on ATV app. Anyone else using Apple TV?

Welcome to the show @DAlba -warm greetings!

Also,
Probably the sort of immersive mix of Kind of Blue that Steve Genewick talked about in the special "Atmos" issue of Mix that came out a few weeks ago. (Aargh--I can't find the thread!) IIRC, the process includes "tuning" the room and recording room ambience as the tracks play in-studio. They did a similar sort of thing even for the 5.1 mixes of KOB, In a Silent Way, etc., right?

Yes, I remember that, and would probably swallow that method OK for older recordings if done well. Just to be clear I'm rooting for Atmos to succeed in a big way. However, I also don't want to be Fandangled by obfuscation; if I wanted that, I can do it to myself via plenty of blood, sweat and tears of an Up-mix. ;) I have lots of physical disc Atmos titles, but I also rely on down mixing to 5.1 because that's all my system supports (some day - some day 🙏)

I did some pre-lim. research on the album "Idle Moments", plenty of instruments, recorded by Rudy Van Gelder in 1963, first released on a Mono LP and then shortly afterward in stereo. Also mastered in SACD by Kevin Gray & Steve Hoffman for Analogue Productions in 2010. So far though, I have not found any info. on how many tracks were used to record on; but may be out there somewhere?

Hopefully, in the near future, one of our esteemed Jazz fan members with Atmos access will give us a report on some of these older recordings.

yes is a bit on the lower side but I also suspect that it's not as compressed either. So I'd rather get the fidelity and crank the volume a tad higher.

yes is a bit on the lower side but I also suspect that it's not as compressed either. So I'd rather get the fidelity and crank the volume a tad higher.
I agree.. so at the moment it's only causing a slight inconvenience of needing to adjust the volume. Don't know about the compression but that would be of course a benefit also if the material would be less compressed.

haha, sorry it was just a dumb comment because of their totally dumb name, hahahaha. I googled/listened to that song and it sure would be nice in surround. I take it back!
Seriously though, I wonder if you are correct with the (Dolby Atmos) indicating it a"real" mix.

3rd that. Although Netflix is at it's regular volume.

Back