Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't believe I'm saying this, but...how's the Lady Gaga stuff? There's so much to play with surround-wise in those songs.

Not bad at all - pretty good mixes! 'Born This Way' and 'Bad Romance' stand out and are quite crazy... (A bit like the Britney - In The Zone mix). The tracks from 'A Star Is Born' are more of a front focused mix though - even the crowd is coming from the front...

Not bad at all - pretty good mixes! 'Born This Way' and 'Bad Romance' stand out and are quite crazy... (A bit like the Britney - In The Zone mix). The tracks from 'A Star Is Born' are more of a front focused mix though - even the crowd is coming from the front...
You're using which device?

Any way of listening to these via the Apple TV 4K connected to AVR via HDMI without the tv remaining on, as soon as I switch the tv off sound stops. Listen to music via oppo connected the same way and it plays fine with tv off.

started 60 day trial and listening now. It is very low volume like mentioned, after first couple songs sounds pretty good. Will report more in depth

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 99
Hey Guys, i have the same issue with my FireTV 4K...only 2.0 DD+.

@EricKalet , can you tell me which Fire OS version and which version of the tidal app you have installed? Do you have a UHD TV with HDCP 2.2 in your setup? Unfortunately I only have one FHD TV in my setup ..

@edisonbaggins , did you update the Tidal app or Fire OS? And what did you update to which version number?

I have currently installed Fire OS 6.2.7.1 and tidal in version 2.25.1. (No updates at a time)

By the way: According to Dolby's specifications, a 9.1.6 loudspeaker setup must be installed in every studio in which Dolby Atmos Music is mixed (information without guarantee). I got the informarion from a YouTube interview with Dolby employees. If you are interested, I will look for it in the coming days and share the link here in the forum.

To remove the confusion around Atmos. In films, an Atmos track is usually based on a DD + or TrueHD track (the so-called core) plus the audioobjects (up to 128). This is a "downmix" to 5.1 or 7.1 so that the Atmos track can also be played on non-Atmos setups as a discret DD + / TrueHD track. If an Atmos setup is available, input information can be seen on the AVR as "Atmos" or as "Atmos with DD+/THD Core etc." Otherwise just DD + / TrueHD. The Atmos track can also exist without a 5.1 / 7.1 core (only the information about the audio objects exists (up to 128)). For example for PC games with live object rendering

-> DD + input on an Atmos setup = no Atmos output on the source device.

Just listening to the 'Soul Classics' playlist...

Firstly - all of of this is discrete and I'm really enjoying what I'm hearing. There's a couple of exceptions... Rufus - Tell Me Something Good and James Brown - Super Bad have the main vocals in the rear channels for some reason? The Barry White track is a little bit heavy for me, I'm not sure if that's the mix or music? And the When Doves Cry mix - whilst being pretty good has a bit of a "Wonderwall" moment where the vocal switches from centre to main speakers...

But the rest - ooh this is good... :phones

Couple of standout tracks -

Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me) - The Temptations (Slowly gets into it - sounds really great)
Baby Love - The Supremes
Celebration - Kool & The Gang (This is really cool!)
Ain't Too Proud To Beg - The Temptations (Whoever got the The Temptations mixing gig did a great job)

I have a Tidal account which I love and when I put my audio room together I am going to ditch my FireTV which is actually quite good, but from what I gather the choice of audiophiles is Apple 4K. Looking forward to it.

Maybe the FireTV Cube (latest version) will be a better choice? I’d wait until you need something before you purchase.

Edit: I should have added the AppleTV has limited ability to play your own media. FireTV Cube can run Kodi so that allows playing your own MCH FLACs, ISOs etc. I have an Apple 4K TV which I never use... Why by a new box for just streaming when you can have a new box to stream and play your own files?

Last edited:
Hey Guys, i have the same issue with my FireTV 4K...only 2.0 DD+.

@EricKalet , can you tell me which Fire OS version and which version of the tidal app you have installed? Do you have a UHD TV with HDCP 2.2 in your setup? Unfortunately I only have one FHD TV in my setup ..

I do not have Fire Stick. I'm streaming via Apple TV 4k, HDMI HDCP 2.2. and Epson 5040ub projector.

I have 1st Gen Fire Cube and it plays Atmos fine with other things, but it doesn't work at all with Tidal. As a matter of fact, all I have available is videos. I can't even find songs with the app installed, despite it being in their music section to download. I can't find any info from Tidal why it doesn't work even though it says it does. Obviously my Cube plays Atmos, but for some reason isn't liking Tidal. I have latest versions of each, or at least I can't update anything. Anyone else have a Cube to see if I am doing something wrong?

Back