Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting that Limelight and Tom Sawyer had different personnel for each mix.

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 10.25.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 10.24.05 PM.png

Renegade perplexes me...I love the Atmos mix/version...but it is DIFFERENT. Maybe Tommy Shaw's voice is cleaner and clearer now, along with the yell "yeowwwwwww" after the opening verse...

"Oh, Mama, I'm in fear for my life from the long arm of the law
Law man has put an end to my running and I'm so far from my home
Oh, Mama I can hear you a-cryin', you're so scared and all alone
Hangman is comin' down from the gallows and I don't have very long"

"yeowwwwwww"

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 10.37.11 PM.png

I have Apple TV 4K connected to the input of Oppo BDP-103D and then output to Denon Receiver. Upgraded the Tidal app. It shows the Atmos tracks but says the device is not compatible and will play in stereo only. All the cables are the latest format. The Apple TV should really be connected directly to the TV and then to the receiver, but the TV will only passthrough stereo to the receiver. Apparently, some newer TV's pass through some surround formats, but it is not universal and very hit and miss and only apparent after you purchase the TV despite what it may say on the box. The Apple TV really needs two HDMI outputs one for video and the other for audio, as earlier models used to have with an optical output. Problem is most people don't notice and can't tell the difference, so there is not a lot of motivation. Maybe in the next model. I have tried to explain the problem to my wife and adult children but they look at me like I just arrived from Mars. We have six Apple TV's (2x 4K and 4x4) in all and they are used for almost all TV viewing. It is by far the most mandatory device within our extended family. I've cancelled Tidal till they sort it out. The content so far is not exciting enough to spend too much time on it. Most Atmos audio on the 4K Apple TV's attached to Video content downscales to multichannel or at least Dolby Digital 5.1 with no problem. On the Apple TV 4's, it plays as DD 5.1. This is not happening with Tidal. Probably works with all equipment NEW, but that's not going to happen. If anyone else has more success using an Oppo in the chain, I'm interested to know how you did it.

I have Apple TV 4K connected to the input of Oppo BDP-103D and then output to Denon Receiver. Upgraded the Tidal app. It shows the Atmos tracks but says the device is not compatible and will play in stereo only. All the cables are the latest format. The Apple TV should really be connected directly to the TV and then to the receiver, but the TV will only passthrough stereo to the receiver. Apparently, some newer TV's pass through some surround formats, but it is not universal and very hit and miss and only apparent after you purchase the TV despite what it may say on the box. The Apple TV really needs two HDMI outputs one for video and the other for audio, as earlier models used to have with an optical output. Problem is most people don't notice and can't tell the difference, so there is not a lot of motivation. Maybe in the next model. I have tried to explain the problem to my wife and adult children but they look at me like I just arrived from Mars. We have six Apple TV's (2x 4K and 4x4) in all and they are used for almost all TV viewing. It is by far the most mandatory device within our extended family. I've cancelled Tidal till they sort it out. The content so far is not exciting enough to spend too much time on it. Most Atmos audio on the 4K Apple TV's attached to Video content downscales to multichannel or at least Dolby Digital 5.1 with no problem. On the Apple TV 4's, it plays as DD 5.1. This is not happening with Tidal. Probably works with all equipment NEW, but that's not going to happen. If anyone else has more success using an Oppo in the chain, I'm interested to know how you did it.

Yes you CANNOT daisy chain ATV4k to an Oppo and then to your AVR. Also do not connect ATV4k directly to TV and then daisy chain backwards to the AVR.

ATV4k needs to directly connect to HDMI HDCP 2.2 on your AVR. Also Make sure your Tidal app is updated to May 26, 2020 version otherwise you'll only get 2.0.

Also an optical output would defeat the purpose and you'd only get 2.0 out of optical, Atmos cannot be passed via toslink, due to DRM.

Yes you CANNOT daisy chain ATV4k to an Oppo and then to your AVR. Also do not connect ATV4k directly to TV and then daisy chain backwards to the AVR.

ATV4k needs to directly connect to HDMI HDCP 2.2 on your AVR. Also Make sure your Tidal app is updated to May 26, 2020 version otherwise you'll only get 2.0.

Also an optical output would defeat the purpose and you'd only get 2.0 out of optical, Atmos cannot be passed via toslink, due to DRM.
Direct handshake then? Bummer! 😑

Thanks for the great feedback so far on this streaming service. I bit for the 60 day trial. Tried about 6 tracks so far. Dolby Atmos showed up on the AVR display for each one. Like others have mentioned, these seem to be remixes, but they sound really good. Just listened to Lunatic Fringe by Red Rider. I swear bits and pieces have been added to the mix. At least I have never heard some things before... So far I like it. Playing it on Apple TV 4k.

Back