Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been playing the pop tunes all day long and it worked perfectly, now it's acting odd. I just laugh now, maybe it called it a day, and it was enough for today.
But seriously, how can it be inconsistent?

Using apple tv 4k, denon avr 4500h

View attachment 51836

I just updated the Apple TV software and now we're back on track :) pun intended.

Might be worth the 60 day free trial though. And, I always feel that once they start charging me, the $20 is going towards supporting Atmos/immersive music. If it weren't for the Atmos music on Tidal, I wouldn't be carrying both Tidal and Qobuz now.
that $20 is more likely supporting tidal than artists to make atmos music. might try the free trial option, but will need to buy equipment (i only have the original firestick)

i see you're in yardley, i grew up in NE Philly and worked in yardley (on main street) for many years.

that $20 is more likely supporting tidal than artists to make atmos music. might try the free trial option, but will need to buy equipment (i only have the original firestick)

i see you're in yardley, i grew up in NE Philly and worked in yardley (on main street) for many years.

True the $20 is going direct to Tidal's coffers, but in my mind, lol, my crazy mind, it's supporting Atmos, and if they ever stopped Atmos on the service, the cancel button is in my sight. :hi I'm carrying both Tidal and Qobuz so no harm no foul to just have Qobuz again.

I'd have to do an A/B. IMO, "sheekee's" MP isn't too bad. I'm just thrilled that classic Rush is included in this roll out.
Is it true that this is a Greg Penny mix?

Limelight is Greg Penny, but when I pull the details for TS it doesn't specifically state who mixed it :(

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 10.25.03 PM.png

Hmmm - so I went ahead and got the 60 day trial. I figured since my laptop is connected directly to my Atmos AVR, and when I go to settings in my laptop, I can select ATmos as my speaker setup........

But, it only plays Dolby Surround. Whatever that means. Oddly, there is content coming from my fronts, my front atmos speakers, center, rear atmos, but nothing from my main rear speakers. WTF does that mean?

Not that I know of :(

I just looked at a few Atmos enabled soundbars on Amazon that say they have 4K HDR passthrough (HDMI in and out), I wonder if they might trick Tidal into decoding into 5.1 if I go out of my TV, through the soundbar then into my receiver. They are $200 or less.

Hmmm - so I went ahead and got the 60 day trial. I figured since my laptop is connected directly to my Atmos AVR, and when I go to settings in my laptop, I can select ATmos as my speaker setup........

But, it only plays Dolby Surround. Whatever that means. Oddly, there is content coming from my fronts, my front atmos speakers, center, rear atmos, but nothing from my main rear speakers. WTF does that mean?
Just to hazard a guess, the Tidal PC app is not sending a DD+ (Atmos) signal, and is instead just sending DD (5.1). Do you have any processing turned on (Dolby Surround or DTS:X) that could cause that behavior? Something similar happened to me with Disney+ and my LG OLED until Disney fixed the app to properly pass Atmos.

I tried to use my Atmos AVR (Pioneer LSX-VX503) since it has Tidal, but it won't play the Atmos tracks at all. It will play stereo tracks. Unless someone else can tell us otherwise, only AppleTV 4K has been successfully used to play the Tidal Atmos tracks.

Talk about news of the decade.
I've been eagerly studying this thread since the beginning and I'm getting wave after wave of very interesting full tides!!
I believe Amazon invested quite a large chunk of their dosh to get this done and Surely they ain't gonna let Tidal steal their thunder!! ?
Or are they watching Tidals subscription pattern before choosing which way to go, in streaming this Atmos music?
I'm gonna hold fire (stick) and see what transpires, as the Apple TV gizmo ain't cheap and the only reason I would use it is to listen to Atmos music.
But what a significant development from where we were....maybe my renowned lack of patience, will cave in sooner rather than later!! 😃
Great to read all these positive feedbacks.

Just to hazard a guess, the Tidal PC app is not sending a DD+ (Atmos) signal, and is instead just sending DD (5.1). Do you have any processing turned on (Dolby Surround or DTS:X) that could cause that behavior? Something similar happened to me with Disney+ and my LG OLED until Disney fixed the app to properly pass Atmos.

I tried to use my Atmos AVR (Pioneer LSX-VX503) since it has Tidal, but it won't play the Atmos tracks at all. It will play stereo tracks. Unless someone else can tell us otherwise, only AppleTV 4K has been successfully used to play the Tidal Atmos tracks.

No, I don't have any processing turned on at all. So, that makes my situation all the stranger.

No, I don't have any processing turned on at all. So, that makes my situation all the stranger.
I don't think Tidal PC app supports Atmos yet. From Tidal site:

You can stream music in Dolby on your Dolby Atmos compatible soundbars, TVs, and AVRs, in addition to your Dolby Atmos compatible Android mobile devices.

Compatible TV-connected devices include:

• Apple TV 4K (running tvOS 13 or later)
  • Fire TV (Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV Stick 2016, Fire TV Gen 3 2017, Fire TV Cube 1st Gen or 2nd Gen)
  • Nvidia Shield TV and Shield TV Pro (2019 and newer models)

The updated TIDAL app is also available on Dolby Atmos enabled Android TVs from Sony and Philips.

Last edited:
Talk about news of the decade.
I've been eagerly studying this thread since the beginning and I'm getting wave after wave of very interesting full tides!!
I believe Amazon invested quite a large chunk of their dosh to get this done and Surely they ain't gonna let Tidal steal their thunder!! ?
Or are they watching Tidals subscription pattern before choosing which way to go, in streaming this Atmos music?
I'm gonna hold fire (stick) and see what transpires, as the Apple TV gizmo ain't cheap and the only reason I would use it is to listen to Atmos music.
But what a significant development from where we were....maybe my renowned lack of patience, will cave in sooner rather than later!! 😃
Great to read all these positive feedbacks.
I believe the Apple TV 4K is reasonably priced (I mean come on it’s an Apple product- usually means good quality and support) and this is all just getting started. Very well might be thousands of Atmos mixed songs in the pipeline- time will tell.
But I have to admit; when I first saw posts about an Apple TV 4K, I thought Apple had actually released a physical TV (OLED or something) :LOL:

Back