Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason I point the finger at Tidal, is because all these other devices work pretty well with other features. Why is Tidal tripping everybody up? You have to believe that Tidal is working feverishly with all its "clients" to fix these problems. Easy for them to say it's an issue with client. Hmmmmmm. Always 2 sides to every story....

Marantz says their flagship SR8012's have Tidal; but say you hooked that up initially to a 5.1 speaker system; I'm hearing here that it would not down mix the Tidal Atmos to 5.1 is that correct?
At some point I'll need an AVR upgrade; and I would need time to figure out my best Atmos speaker options.
I guess also then, it would be needed to discover if these Marantz AVRs are using HEOS to utilize Tidal 🧐

The reason I point the finger at Tidal, is because all these other devices work pretty well with other features. Why is Tidal tripping everybody up? You have to believe that Tidal is working feverishly with all its "clients" to fix these problems. Easy for them to say it's an issue with client. Hmmmmmm. Always 2 sides to every story....
Yeah, and it might be pointless to argue about it anyway. We're just speculating. Is there anything Tidal can do to make the requirements for devices easier to implement? Who knows.
How did Apple figure it out, huh? Just saying "Tidal make this easier" is at best one side of the story and maybe not even possible. It could be that the ball is in the court of the device developers.

Yeah, and it might be pointless to argue about it anyway. We're just speculating. Is there anything Tidal can do to make the requirements for devices easier to implement? Who knows.
How did Apple figure it out, huh? Just saying "Tidal make this easier" is at best one side of the story and maybe not even possible. It could be that the ball is in the court of the device developers.
Yep, I know Apple figured it out. I'm probably most annoyed that I don't want to spend another $150 or whatever the Apple thing costs when I have all these other devices laying around the house. The other thing is, now I wish I had waited to activate my 60 day account....because as it is, it's worthless to me.

Yep, I know Apple figured it out. I'm probably most annoyed that I don't want to spend another $150 or whatever the Apple thing costs when I have all these other devices laying around the house. The other thing is, now I wish I had waited to activate my 60 day account....because as it is, it's worthless to me.
I totally hear ya on that. I'm in the same boat. However, $150 is the price of some deluxe sets, for just one album, right?

Like I said earlier - "caught with their pants down!!!" 😬
I'm gonna wait a while and just see how things shake out, I don't have an Atmos receiver & enough speakers anyway... yet.

Last edited:
I guess, as even Greg Penny keeps reminding us, we have to be patient. But you have to wonder why Dolby and its partners keep rolling things out--with such fanfare--when they're not quite ready for prime time. If Penny, Genewick, and other high-profile mixers have already finished more than 2000 tracks, then where are they all, and why isn't Tidal showcasing them by making them easier to find and browse?

@EricKalet: you've stayed cool-headed through all of this, and you're a font of information for all of us here at QQ. Dolby and Tidal ought to hire you. Thanks!

@humprof Thank you!! I'll try my best to be here for everyone. I've always wanted to work for Dolby or dts but never actually went after it. Kinda wanted to be the next David DelGrosso lol. IMO, Tidal isn't rolling out or showcasing too much at one time, I think it's going to be a slow/steady rollout, kinda like when Tidal introduced the Masters collections (MQA) a few years ago. If I recall, when the first MQA songs came out it was somewhat of a limited selection and blossomed from there.

Apple kinda had a head start on everyone with Atmos, when they started supporting Atmos in June 2018. The Tidal app has been on Apple TV for longer than that, so there is at least compatibility and integration.

OK, to further beat the horse that I continue to ride.... :LOL:

Tidal is the one who benefits the most for all these devices to be up an running flawlessly. Generally speaking, I'd venture to say that the Rokus, Amazon Fire have a massive following from those who stream movies and or want to "cut the cord". I just feel like, Tidal, who will make $20 per month (or whatever portion) per subscription really should have a very comprehensive FAQ section where they clearly lay all of their "clients" out. What they can or can't stream, in what format, etc. I simply find it inconceivable that it isn't more clear than what I am reading.

It's a SR7011. Funnily, I can manage to get my Apple TV and my TV to work with HDR. Apple is connected to HDMI port of the Marantz and from there it goes to the TV. I can to HDR with the Sony player connected to the AVR too, so it's something related to the Apple TV, I guess

Make sure you optimize your ATV4k settings. I like this video best for settings suggestions:

Back