Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll need to investigate further. I followed the settings in the video and for the same Prime video I get HDR if I play it from the TV directly, but I don't get it when played from the Apple TV

Is the Prime video in HDR? You may need to investigate the settings on your TV too, it could be force converting SDR to HDR.

I have the Marantz SR8012 reciever and confirm that HEOS can only play stereo.

After Mike's excellent, first impression video and the positive reactions I'm reading here, makes me chomp at the bit to hear this new Tidal Atmos service.
How long before I cave in and get an Apple box?

After Mike's excellent, first impression video and the positive reactions I'm reading here, makes me chomp at the bit to hear this new Tidal Atmos service.
You might be following the same path @edisonbaggins took...curbside pick up at Best Buy of that ATV4k :SB

So does Tidal work through HEOS on your SR8012 Mike, or is it a separate access (I don't know anything about HEOS?)

I haven't come across an AV Amp that will happily stream surround directly, all seem to be stereo only. May be there are some in the pipeline or that have been recently released that can. I've an Odroid N2 on order, but not sure if it can do Tidal, the NUC probably can, but I'm not sure I'd cough up $20 per month (probably £20 in the UK) unless I could download as well (even at a price). Renting music isn't really my thing!

So does Tidal work through HEOS on your SR8012 Mike, or is it a separate access (I don't know anything about HEOS?)
Here is a link about HEOS:
http://heoshome.com/getstarted.htmlAnd I need to check this statement out:
Can HEOS be used for surround sound?
HEOS can be used to send surround sound wirelessly. If you have a compatible sound bar or home theater receiver (check the product information to see if it will support HEOS surround). You can add any two HEOS-enabled wireless speakers to your setup and then send DTS and Dolby digital surround channel signals to those speakers.

Found this from Tidal, so yes it does.
https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005873485-HEOSAlthough they mention Denon's, Marantz is from the same stable.
Not hopeful on this front, but the next question then is:
Could they do a software/firmware update for HEOS that would get it to handle the Atmos?
I believe that would be a huge question mark at this point!
And by the way, is HEOS strictly a wireless app- that might be one reason they have to limit their codec to something with fewer channels and lower resolution. :unsure:

Not hopeful on this front, but the next question then is:
Could they do a software/firmware update for HEOS that would get it to handle the Atmos?
I believe that would be a huge question mark at this point!
And by the way, is HEOS strictly a wireless app- that might be one reason they have to limit their codec to something with fewer channels and lower resolution. :unsure:
The Marantz blurb states this:
With built-in HEOS technology, the SR8012 becomes a part of a HEOS wireless multi-room music network, enabling you to enjoy your favorite music anywhere around your home. Explore, browse, and play music from your music library, online streaming music services, or thousands of internet radio stations, using the free HEOS app.
From here:
https://www.us.marantz.com/en-US/shop/avreceivers/sr8012_mMore HEOS info:
https://www.lifewire.com/heos-4155588

Back