Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had lucky today and could download Tidal version 2.26.1 on my FireTV 4K. An extraction did not work because I could not install adb ....

Another annoying fact is that Disney+ is able to stream Dolby atmos on the 2015/2017 Nvidia ShieldTV's and until now tidal officially only works on the 2019 model ... very, very annoying ...

Source: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...-app-now-supports-dolby-atmos-on-all-shield-/

Fortunately, I can withdraw this statement, since the update to 2.26.1 was also available on my 2015 Nvidia ShieldTV today and an Atmos output is possible.

Short information about my Setup. I have an Onkyo TX-NR656 and the FireTV and ShieldTV are connected to the HDCP 2.2 Input. A 7.1 system is connected to the AVR. An old (8 years) Sony FullHD television is connected to the video output.

Now the surprising. With my ShieldTV I can stream Atmos and I also get an Atmos/DD+ Input displayed on the AVR. On the FireTV Stick I get a message in Tidal that it is streaming Atmos, but only DD+ 5.1 arrives at the AVR. Either it's a bug, it's because of my non HDCP 2.2 compatible FHD TV or something else. Of course it can also be that I get a 5.1 stream because my system is Atmos compatible, the FireTV recognizes it, but still only outputs 5.1, because my TV is not HDCP2.2 compatible. I can't explain it.

So it is possible to stream 5.1 at Atmos titles but it is not made available to us ... annoying for people who have no Atmos setup ... it sounds still great in 5.1.

Edit:
For the Guys with AndroidTV/ShieldTV: TIDAL Music - Hifi Songs, Playlists, & Videos 2.26.1 APK Download by TIDAL - APKMirror (Maybe it will work on FireTV too)

Sorry. But I am not impressed by the Dobly Atmos content on Tidal. For most of the tracks no multitrack tapes have been used for the remix. I prefer much more the Bluray content like R.E.M., The Beatles, INXS, Kraftwerk and Bruce Springsteen.
Also full albums are missing...
I use an Apple TV 4k with my Denon AVC-X8500 and a 9.1 set (5.1 + 4 dolby Atmos speakers).

But how do you look for the complete albums in Atmos? Thanks!
Haven't found any way to search the Atmos albums or tracks yet. The link is only to the default "landing" page for Atmos music in Tidal which doesn't seem to contain even all of the tracks that are available. Don't know if there are any full albums in addition that would not be listed there. From the search I'm only getting the playlists so far.

Sorry. But I am not impressed by the Dobly Atmos content on Tidal. For most of the tracks no multitrack tapes have been used for the remix. I prefer much more the Bluray content like R.E.M., The Beatles, INXS, Kraftwerk and Bruce Springsteen.
I use an Apple TV 4k with my Denon AVC-X8500 and a 9.1 set (5.1 + 4 dolby Atmos speakers).
Have you compared the R.E.M contet with the Blu-ray? What are the significant differences you noticed?

“There will be 10,000 audio tracks remastered for Dolby Atmos this year [2020],” I hope that they will take this serious!
Source: 7 Best Dolby Atmos Music Demos to Wow Clients - CEPRO

I have had Tidal for about 5 years now. I use it at work mostly with little PC stereo speakers. I have Firestick at home and added Tidal to that, not impressed, menu harder to work than on PC.
I do not have a Atmos home speaker set up.
Following this thread, I opened up my Tidal app on my phone , typed Atmos in the Tidal search and got 3 Atmos playlists.
Noticed Tidal also has 360 sound albums and playlists, many more than Atmos.
Have you heard a significant difference between the two, 360 and Atmos?

1st post @werfpsa ?
Welcome to the QQ forum !

I have compared R.E.M. Everybody Hurts Bluray with Tidal stream. The mix looks the same, but difference is in transparancy and clearness. The voice of Michael Stipe is much more clear and present compared to the Tidal version.
I am not sure about the bitrates of Tidal. The Blueray is Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (24-48kHz) with aac for steam extension. R.E.M. avg bitrate for bluray is approx. 8k

Plays in Atmos.....AVR Marantz SR7012 shows Atmos on screen......have Panasonic FZ952 OLED TV which I have just checked and it is HDCP 2.2 on all HDMI inputs
Okay, i will check it in a few days if it is possible to stream tidal in 5.1 on a 5.1 setup with a FireTV Stick. Would be cool for the guys without atmos setup :)

All systems up and running👍
Now listening to R.E.M
This complete sceptic is amazed that a Dolby Atmos mix is being streamed and the quality is far above my expectations.
Had to crank it up...but hey...any excuse!!
Bit of hassle to get here but am I really listening to surround streaming , let alone Dolby Atmos!!

Need to explore all those tracks that fellow QQ'rs have posted.

From your UK naysayer, this is eating humble pie indeed.

As I said , got the Firestick plugged into the front hdmi slot on the Marantz. Sorted out the input assign. Used the PC to register ( everything is linked to the receiver) and needed code to register Tidal to play through the Marantz.

Took about an hour and a half to get it all up and running.

I'm all smiles. :)
Not perfect but not a million miles away.:cool:

All systems up and running👍
Now listening to R.E.M
This complete sceptic is amazed that a Dolby Atmos mix is being streamed and the quality is far above my expectations.
Had to crank it up...but hey...any excuse!!
Bit of hassle to get here but am I really listening to surround streaming , let alone Dolby Atmos!!

Need to explore all those tracks that fellow QQ'rs have posted.

From your UK naysayer, this is eating humble pie indeed.

As I said , got the Firestick plugged into the front hdmi slot on the Marantz. Sorted out the input assign. Used the PC to register ( everything is linked to the receiver) and needed code to register Tidal to play through the Marantz.

Took about an hour and a half to get it all up and running.

I'm all smiles. :)
Not perfect but not a million miles away.:cool:
Just make sure Posha is not with you if you accidentally switch from an Atmos track on Tidal to anything else the difference in volume is significant 🙀

Yes, yes. Here in Spain too!

TIDAL update to 2.26.1 on Fire TV 4K and Dolby Atmos tracks working through Dolby Digital +

Volume level is lower than average. No problem, just increase the Master Volume control, but when changing to a stereo track you must lower the level again.

Sound and quality seem to be good enough, although first impression is that it sounds a little weaker compared with the Original Bluray (R.E.M. Automatic...).

Will see if it is worth to keep subscription after the 60 days trial, depending on the quantity and quality of the Atmos mixes.

Back