Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing beats having a new toy to play with and explore.

If you want proof of what this Atmos streaming can really do, have a listen to 'Atmos for Androids'

Especially when one of the tracks is called 'Digging a Hole' by Booka Shade!!

Probably from 'Galvany Street'

That blu-ray is mixed in Atmos and is killer.
It is, I raved about it when it first came out.
I expect it's the very same version.
And from what I'm hearing, it hasn't lost too much through streaming!!

I think the million dollar question is, will I pay £20 a month, for this service?
A lot more research and testing of the music on offer, before I reach that decision.

It's interesting because I've noticed some of the Atmos tracks on the Tidal app have 'Amazon Original' written in brackets. Which would suggest that Amazon will be launching into discrete streaming at some point?! Tidal did well to beat them to it.

Amazon HD music is a bit cheaper if you are a Prime member. If they start playing ball with the Sony 360RA stuff then we're onto a real winner... :phones

Ah bollocks - there's a couple of Atmos tracks that seem to have regional locks on them, preventing them being played in the UK at least? It says "The Record Label does not permit the streaming of this track". Don't know if anyone else in Europe can play them?

Tubthumping by Chumbawamba
Heaven Is A Place On Earth - Belinda Carlisle

Has John Prescott been plotting his revenge all this time?! 😂
https://www.radiox.co.uk/features/x...prescott-brit-awards-chumbawumba-brit-awards/
Old two Jags probably bears a grudge, bears a right arm smash if I remember correctly re: the chap who landed an egg on him!

I just want to apologize in advance for not reading the complete thread. Can someone just confirm whether this is true or not:
So far Tidal has updated the AppleTV and FireTV apps to support Atmos music, but not the AndroidTV app.. which is supposed to be coming soon?

Firestick has to be first

Well, seems to be a moot point. Since I have a 20-inch, decidedly non-4k TV, I went with the Fire TV Stick 2016 (a/k/a Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote--the second-generation Fires TV Stick), which is also (nominally) supported by Tidal, in order to save a couple of bucks. So: plugged the FireStick into my Marantz 1607 (Atmos-capable, though it tops out at 5.1.2), installed the FireStick, installed the Tidal app within FireStick, checked for and installed a FireStick system upgrade, loaded some Atmos content in Tidal...and it only plays in stereo.

According to Amazon, 2d-gen Firestick's latest OS is 5.2.7.3, not 6.2.7.1, so maybe that's the issue. But if that's the case, then why list the whole 2d-gen "family" of Fire TV products as supported devices if they're not?

Not sure I have the fortitude to type out support tickets to both Tidal and Amazon and slog through all the back-and-forth. If there was phone support, and it was staffed by knowledgeable people, then maybe. Otherwise I think my early-adoption adventure ends early...

Last edited:
Well, seems to be a moot point. Since I have a 20-inch, decidedly non-4k TV, I went with the 2d-generation Fire TV Stick, which is also (nominally) supported by Tidal, in order to save a couple of bucks. So: plugged the FireStick into my Marantz 1607 (Atmos-capable, though it tops out at 5.1.2), installed the FireStick, installed the Tidal app within FireStick, checked for and installed a FireStick system upgrade, loaded some Atmos content in Tidal...and it only plays in stereo.

According to Amazon, 2d-gen Firestick's latest OS is 5.2.7.3, not 6.2.7.1, so maybe that's the issue. But if that's the case, then why list the whole 2d-gen "family" of Fire TV products as supported devices if they're not?

Not sure I have the fortitude to type out support tickets to both Tidal and Amazon and slog through all the back-and-forth. If there was phone support, and it was staffed by knowledgeable people, then maybe. Otherwise I think my early-adoption adventure ends early...
There is phone support at Amazon.com but to get phone support you cant call them currently.....I had different issues but once I was chatting with an online support person for like 20 minutes they got someone to call me......currently both business and personal account phone numbers aren't going through because of Cronovirus19

One major peev for me is that when you are on your laptop or phone and you have added an album, will use Norah Jones as an example. Nothing anywhere shows that it is Atmos. But when you go to the app attached to the Atmos receiver it will then show Atmos. So the only way you can search is with the app attached to the Atmos capable player.
The Firestick remote is so bad so it is very difficult to navigate.
Enough of the negative on the positive side. Wow some tracks /albums sound absolutely AMAZING

I just want to apologize in advance for not reading the complete thread. Can someone just confirm whether this is true or not:
So far Tidal has updated the AppleTV and FireTV apps to support Atmos music, but not the AndroidTV app.. which is supposed to be coming soon?
To answer my own question, it seems to work just fine on Nvidia Shield 2017 model.

Attachments

• tidal.jpg
    tidal.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 241
Back